Old 10-13-2002, 05:29 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Thumbs down Low-Carb Freestyle

Evening all!

Nikkic came up with the great name of Low-Carb Freestyle for our new thread, sounds like we are snowboarders or skateboarders

I have been totally off plan all weekend I ate chips last night and tonight is Thanksgiving dinner at my parents complete with trifle for dessert Back OP on Monday! On a good note though I did do a lot of walking this past week and went to dance class on Saturday am.

Aleka-sounds like you had a fun shopping spree, nothing like treating yourself to some new clothes Hope you get one of your rings for Christmas

AnneD- I find that not drinking my water makes a big difference in my weight. I drink crystal light at work so I can get my water in.

Well I'm off to my dinner now!
Have a great night,
Mauvais
Old 10-13-2002, 06:20 PM   #2  

Angry Hi there.....

I hope you are all having a good weekend. It's been raining on and off most of the day today. Yesterday we had a fantastic fall day. I wasn't feeling up to par yesterday, I felt like I was coming down with a cold. But....as it turned out it was allergies. All my symptoms disappeared today.

nikkic, this is a fantastic idea you have about naming our new group. Ya, I was wondering if the food combining was really necessary also. To me, it makes more sense to eat from the food groups at a meal. I have read someplace that if you eat an all carb meal, your insulin does spike, and you need protein to balance everything out. Oh well, each has their own opinion, I guess.

mauvaisroux, thank you for starting another thread. I hope you enjoy your Thanksgiving tomorrow with your family.

ANNE D, I hope you also have a great Thanksgiving tomorrow.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend. Aleka
Old 10-14-2002, 03:36 AM   #3  
Ounce by ounce...

Default I was just wondering..

..if "Freestyle" carbing is meaning you all do your own thing? If so...what exactly are you doing?

Thanks!

Karin
Old 10-14-2002, 10:08 AM   #4  

Hi Everyone!
Turkey is in the oven, smells great. I made pumpkin mouse
out of whipped cream, cream cheese and pumpkin pie spice.
I will let you know if it is any good.

I will be eating turkey, green beans, mashed turnips and
mashed cauliflower. At last I know I won't gain weight.

I am on vacation this week thank goodness so I will be sure
to start upping my water intake!!

My foot is all better now so I have no excuse not to do my
gazelle!!!!

Talk to you all later.

Anne.
Old 10-14-2002, 11:07 AM   #5  

Nugget599-
Yes that's it. We all started out as Somersizers, but some of us have gone to other ways. So to not give the wrong impression, we decided to stop calling our little group a Somersizers chat. I'm following a combo of Atkins and Somersizing, more Atkins really. Anne and Mauvaisroux are Somersizing and Aleka is doing WW with some low carb mixed in (I think I got it right ). We just kind of hang out and talk about things. If you'd like to join us, your welcome.
Nikki
Old 10-14-2002, 11:23 AM   #6  

Hi everyone- Happy Thanksgiving Canada!
Anne, I'm so glad your foot is better. Your feet are something people take for granted forever until something goes wrong with them, then you really appreciate them. I suppose that's the way it is with all of your body. At least you can make dinner without suffering. Sounds like a good meal, I wish I could come over.

Mauvaisroux, glad your still exercising. I know you'll do better on Monday, just keep thinking that old saying, nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.
Aleka, in Dr. Schwarzbeins new book, she comes right out and says that food combing is not good for you. I've ordered all of her book. I don't think I could follow her woe, she is such a purist, but I think the more you learn the better you are. There is an interesting thread on the ss'ing boards about fruit into fat. If it hasn't been deleted yet. I have noticed on the ss boards, that since they have started back up, it seems more negative. Or maybe, more people are questioning her woe. Or maybe it's just me.
I'm still plugging along. I made up a great cauliflower salad today and I'll post the recipe here. It is so good, you guys have to try it. I was getting kind of tired of cauliflower, this makes it taste different and is legal for all of us. I found the recipe in an old church cookbook that I've used for so many years, then I added a few more things to make it even better.
It's windy and cold today and tonight a cold front is moving through. Summer is really over, I want to just cry. I have so many more things I want to do outside. Did I tell you that I got the painting done? What a relief, didn't think it would be finished before winter.
Aleka, what kind of rings did you choose? Do they have stones? I love jewelry.
Talk to you all later, Nikki
Old 10-14-2002, 11:49 AM   #7  

Angry Good morning everyone,

The sun is shining and we are having a wonderful fall day.

Nugget599, nikkic summed it up as to what this thread is all about. I am doing WW with the principles of Somersizing, eating real foods, healthy fats, little carbs, etc. I need the accountability of a weekly weigh in to stick with an eating plan. Please join us.

ANNE D, I can almost smell your turkey cooking Let us know how the pumpkin mousse turned out. Glad that you foot is better and that you can start exercising again. Have a great vacation this week.

nikkic, I have Swarzbein's first book, and I like the idea of having 7-15 gm of carb with each meal and snack. I am surprised that the Swarzbein thread on SS website is still going strong. I thought they would've deleted it by now. I can't get over how many people went off SSzing while the boards were down.

mauvaisroux, I hope you are enjoying your Thanksgiving.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:20 PM   #8  

Angry Newbie Intro

Hello Everyone!

I have been looking for a board where I could post. I hope you guys think I fit in here. I am doing WW, but with a modified Atkins. I was on Atkins for about a year, and did well, but got off track for another year. I seemed to have trouble just getting it all together again, so I'm trying this. High carbs just don't work for me, so I think this is pretty balanced.

So far, I've lost 14.6 lbs in 3 weeks. Of course, that and more is 'new' weight. I still need to lose that much more to be back to my pre-debacle weight!

Oh, I'm in my 40's, single (always), with two cats. I'm getting my MBA at night while working full time, so I'm always running or stressing over something. Also, no money,
Talk to you all soon! Su
Old 10-14-2002, 01:24 PM   #9  
Ounce by ounce...

Aleka, I am a WW'er too, but now I am reading all kinds of stuff about low carbing and the benefits. I am 5 pounds from goal and can't seem to get there. I'm sabatoging myself, as I tend to "take the weekends off". It came off REAL slow...like 3+ years. Now I feel I need something to kick me into gear. Also, I am perimemopausal and fighting that tendency to hold weight. I'm basically stalled right here!
Are you counting points? How are you combining WW and low carb? How strict are you? What about the fat? Is it working for you pretty well?

Thanks!

Kar
Old 10-14-2002, 09:55 PM   #10  

Welcome Su,
Glad to meet you. We are all in the neighborhood of 40, give or take a few years. Or even a couple more.

Sounds like you have a really busy life. I have 2 cats also. I think they are the best animals on earth, but then so do they.
Please feel free to join in anytime. The more the merrier.
Talk to you later, Nikki
Old 10-14-2002, 10:24 PM   #11  

Hi everyone

Welcome Su and Nugget

I am Sommercizing but I tend to eat more veggies rather than loading up on protein, although I do try have some protein with every meal so I can maintain my energy level throughout the day.

I can't give up my carbs completely so I have switched to brown rice, whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta and whole wheat couscous which I eat once or twice a week. I have cut back on sugar, cut out caffeine and chocolate completely and eat healthy fats like and olive oil. I also try to limit my quantities of cheese (though I love it).

One of the main principles of Sommercizing that I totally agree with is to avoid eating processed foods and convenience foods.

I used to do WW and it worked great for me. I lost 25lbs but then stalled for months so I thought I would try something different to get myself going again I am 10 lbs away from my goal.

Aleka-It is a beautiful crip autumn day here too, perfect for talking an afternoon walk. Maybe a lot of people didn't like the new format or rules for the revamped SS site so they didn't join again

AnneD-if your pumpkin mousse turns out well please post your recipe it sounds delicious
Glad that your foot is better!

Nikkic-I have a cat too, she is a fluffy grey striped tabby with beautiful green eyes. She is 16 years old now and getting a bit clumsy when she jumps down off the couch or bed. She is very sweet natured and a real lap cat.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:07 AM   #12  

Angry Welcome Nugget, & Su,

I lost about 3/4 lb. last week. I was hoping for my 5 lb. sticker, but not this week. Maybe next week. I really don't mind because the at least the weight is coming off, and that's more than it did when I was only Somersizing.

Nugget599, that's fantastic being 5 lb. from goal. I can't wait until I can say that I'm like you, where I tend to take the weekends off, often gaining back what I lost during the week. That's why I decided to join WW and go to meetings, this way I think twice before taking the weekends off. I am counting points. It is hard trying to keep my points low, so I rely heavily on 0 point veggies. I usually have a carb breakfast, no sugar added cereal w/low fat or skim milk. Sometimes I have another carb meal, but mostly I have protein and lots of veggies. I limit my fruit intake to 2 pcs. I do use reduced fat cheese and salad dressing more often than the full fat kind. Fat free has way..way..too much sugar in it for me. I stay away from anything with a lot of sugar, anything made with white flour, and foods made with hydrogenated oils. The carbs I do eat are whole-wheat, rye, or pumpernickle. I am on cholesterol lowering meds, and since I've started eating a higher fat/higher protein diet, my numbers dropped 20+ points. So, it is healthier for me to eat this way than eating a lower fat/higher carb diet. I just can't give up my caffiene in the morning though.

Su, are you able to keep your points low doing WW & Atkins? That is terriffic the amount of weight you have lost! I think I'm averaging about 1 lb. a week, and that's ok. Well...I think I'm the oldest in the bunch, I'm 54. I'm married, 30 yrs, no children, but I do have a dog, as you can see by the picture near my name. That's my "baby". She'll be 2 in Dec., on Pearl Harbor Day.

mauvaisroux, that's great you are 10 lb. from your goal. That's the one thing that I agree with too about SSzing is to eat real foods. I hadn't had a frozen dinner in a few years. Recently, just for convenience sake, nuked one. It was AWFUL!!! I don't know how I ever ate them before. Glad you had such a beautiful day. How was your Thanksgiving?

ANNE D how did the pumpkin mousse turn out?

Hi nikkic Hope you're having a good day.

Take care. Aleka
Old 10-15-2002, 05:09 PM   #13  

Good Evening Everyone!

Aleka you are doing just great. Five pound sticker next week
for sure!

Nikkic, I bet you are glad the painting is done. It is getting
colder here in Toronto too. To be honest with you I am glad
of it>

The pumpkin mousse was good. I am going to try making it
again with splenda this time to see if I can get a slightly better
result. The only problem was it was a touch bitter. I am wondering if it was the sugar twin. The recipe is made with
cream cheese, whipping cream, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla.
I will post it this week for sure.

Hi there Mauvaisroux, hope you had a great thanksgiving.

I feel so proud that I stayed on program. I feel great today,
no bloating or any of that stuff!!

If my weight does not move by November I too will start
the point system along with my low carbing. No matter what
I feel great, that tells me something right there.

I have been trying on clothes I could not wear for ages today.
It sure is wonderful to be making progress no matter if its not
as quickly as we would like.

Friday the big concert for me everyone. Can't wait to see those
Rolling Stones Rock!

Talk to you all later,
Anne.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:13 PM   #14  

Hi everyone!

Way to go Aleka!
We went to dinner at my parents on Sunday and I ate a good dinner, snuck in some white rice (just a little ) and ate some trifle

BTW Aleka, your "baby" is a cutie!

Iam trying to reach my goal by December 1st.

AnneD-glad you had a good Thanksgiving. Good for you that you stayed OP, unfortunately I did not My weekend was pretty quiet which is exactly what DH and I both needed.

This weekend is busy with a girls night out on Friday, dance class and groceries on Saturday, and I may or may not go to a dance bazzar on Sunday. I am hoping to have some alone time with DH on Saturday night.

Has anyone seen the movie " My Big Fat Greek Wedding"? I hear it is really good and I may go to see it this week with my Mom.

Hi Nikki, Nugget and Su-hope you are all doing well!

Night
Mauvais
Old 10-15-2002, 11:47 PM   #15  

Evening everyone,
Mauvaisroux, I don't really get out much around here, mostly I stick to this thread. I just really started to explore the last few days, I'm kind of a homebody in spirit as well as in reality. I just visited the alternachicks forum. I had no idea you moderated that. You are a busy lady. I have heard "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" is really good. Let me know how you like it. We won't go out to see it of course, but when it comes to pay per view, we'll see it.
Anne, just because the scale isn't moving, doesn't mean your not losing fat. You know this, we've all heard it a million times. It does feel good to fit into those clothes that you haven't worn for awhile. I must have every size from an 8 to a 26. I just hope I can get into that 8 someday, even a 14 would be great. I'm kind of hovering around a 24/22.
Aleka, I've often wanted to ask you about your little friend there. My dog died this year, he was 22 years old. We decided to wait a year to get another dog and I want a little guy to keep in the house. I've thought about getting a Boston Terrier (that is what your dog is isn't it? I hear they call them something else now, I can't remember what it is. I'm not trying to be politically incorrect on purpose). Do they bark much, are they fairly healthy, do they shed a lot, are they friendly to strangers or just their family, are they easily trained? I can't decide on what breed to get. I know I want a smaller dog this time, DH wants a big one, but I want something I can hold and baby as well as not get pulled around by.
I'm really getting into the gazelle. I did 15 1/2 min. on it today. I feel so much better and I'm even walking better. I quit wearing my protective boot last week and I can't tell you how good it feels to wear a matching pair of shoes again. I don't feel like people are looking at me all the time anymore.
Hello Su and Nugget, how's it going?
Talk to you all later, I'm going to look around the web awhile and then get to sleep. Nikki