South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-31-2009, 02:17 PM   #1  
Double chin be gone!

S/C/G: 263/254/200

Height: 5'9

Default Fluctuating Weight, Phase 1!

Hello Everybody! This is my first post on 3FC but I've been lurking for quite some time (you've all given some much needed advice and info!). I am just finishing day six of Phase 1 of South Beach (And I haven't cheated! holy cow!), and two days in, I had dropped three pounds, from 260 to 257. Four days in, I was ecstatic to be at 254 from 257. Now six days in, I'm back up to 257. I'm trying not to panic as just a few days ago I was literally doing a victory dance in my bathroom , but I need to know if this fluctuation every few days is normal. I have heard that the initial loss in phase one is mainly composed of water, if this is true, I could blame some of the weight gain on a few pieces of turkey bacon and a serving of salted cashews (only 15, I know). Any thoughts? I'd appreciate any insight.. I've got sixty pounds to lose and am hoping to do it on the beach!

PS am keeping up with previous exercise routine of 45 mins cardio 3x a week followed by 15 of strength training.

Thanks a ton!
Alyssa
PopcornFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 07:10 PM   #2  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

fluctuations are normal- just keep at it and don't weigh everyday! it can be a downer if you are a person who thinks too much of it!(I weigh everyday but I don't worry too much when it goes up or down because I fluctuate a lot...)

Great job on getting started and wtg on the exercise! sounds like you are on the right track to lose 60 lbs!
rdw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:24 PM   #3  
Double chin be gone!

thank you! I think I know it's normal but I just started to panic.. I'm feeling better about it now and thinking I'll cool it on the scale, maybe weigh in every three days instead of every day!!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:10 AM   #4  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Take some advice from an old pro at this...
stay away from the scale and go by how your clothes are fitting.
I still have no idea what I weigh and don't care...I go by how my clothes feel and how I feel.
Scales are stupid and no indicator of how you feel about yourself..everyone's weight goes up and down.
No need to depress yourself over something natural that is going to happen!

Last edited by femmecreole; 06-01-2009 at 10:13 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:08 AM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

PopcornFiend!

Fluctuation is very normal. I highly second Cat's suggestion to reduce your scale time. Try once a week (nothing wrong with doing every 3 days as a way of weaning yourself down) and don't freak about what you see. You'll be at 154 again, and I bet it'll be someday soon if you keep working this hard! Good for you!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:28 AM   #6  

I just finished phase 1 and saw a lot of fluctuation depending on the time of day I weighed, how hydrated I was, etc. Like others have said, I think weighing less frequently helps. If you can't resist, weigh at the same time every day (I think morning is best) and don't worry too much about what you see.
probably is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:13 AM   #7  
Double chin be gone!

All good advice ladies, and everybody has been so welcoming and friendly here! Not that I expected it not to be, but it's nice to be in a virtual environment with people going through the same stuff. You're all right about weaning myself off of the scale - no need to get in a tizzy when it could be having a little too much salt, having to make a deposit, so on and so forth! haha! I stayed off of it today and will try to ignore its tempting little dial tomorrow as well! Happy Tuesday!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Popcornfiend! I don't believe I've greeted you yet.

I completely agree with femme's suggestions. I finally let my DH have my scale for his shop, after letting it rule my feelings for the day. I do so much better, just going by how my clothes fit. I think it's a more accurate way to chart my progress, too.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote