Old 06-01-2009, 06:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 380/329-Current Wt/280/250/220

Height: 5'6.5

Question How to determine how many calories needed??

I use a website to count my calories, carbs, proteins and all that. I generally get 1200-1350 calories per day , however according to my nutritionist I can lose weight without working out with eating 2230 calories. Working out 30 mins per day about 2800. That is a ridiculous amount of calories to me.........Does that seem to much to anyone else ???
PhatChickLosingItNCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 300.1/*ticker*/269

Height: 5'6

It doesn't sound crazy to me at all! I went to a weight loss clinic last year and I can eat around 2000 calories without working out and still lose weight, I guess. I thought that was high at the time too.
SmilesIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #3  

Thanks Smiles!! Just wanted to make sure. Now I need to figure out how to eat that many calories :-)

Last edited by PhatChickLosingItNCO; 06-01-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 318/211/140

Height: 5'2"

Trying to determine calories is the hardest thing - it pretty much boils down to trial and error. When I started counting calories, I went strictly by the values I got on The Daily Plate - based on height, current weight, activity level, and weight loss goals. I was up around 2200 calories per day, I believe. I thought "Wow! This is great - look at all the food I can eat every day! It's like I'm not even dieting at all!". That also meant I wasn't losing at all either and I quickly fell off the wagon. This time around, I played with the numbers until I was losing consistently every week and that's where I've held steady. It's between 1600-1700 per day and I will adjust again when my loss starts to stall. Your nutritionist must have a reason for suggesting your calorie range - did you ask her/him the specifics?
Mainah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #5  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

If you're at your starting weight of 380 it's probably a reasonable calorie level. Even now I eat 2000 cals every day (and up to 2300 on weight lifting days). I was eating 2800 on weight lifting days when I was still over 300 pounds. So, I'd start at the level suggested. You can always drop your calories if that level isn't working for you. The one thing I'd suggest (no matter what level you start at) is to make sure you really know how many calories per day you're eating. ie. no guessing, and make sure you record everything. I found when I started back to calorie counting that knowing what you're really eating helps if/when you're not losing weight.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

RealCdn is so very right. It is easy to misjudge calories and every calorie does count. I read it somewhere here but--"if you bite, write it!" That also goes for drinks and licks-and don't forget grocery samples, the two crackers left on your kid's plate, etc!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:42 PM   #7  

Thanks ladies! I track every single thing. My calorie level is low because I don't ever eat breakfast , lunch , two snacks and most times dinner (sometimes missed). My nutritionist said to try to eat 6 meals and said that calorie level is based on age, weight and physical activity level. I don't eat samples as it would be quite a battle to stand there and read the label just to taste something with all my allergies but I know what you meant. 380 was my starting weight last year, I'm at 334 today and the rest are my short , long and longer lol goal of weight lost.

I'm going to try to get closer to that calorie level somehow. Again thank you all !