Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 169/169/140

Height: 5"4

Default Prozac & Weight

Has anyone had trouble with weight gain or losing after starting prozac?
Twiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #2  

is prozac against cholesterol? if so try to get off the medication by losing. by the way if good exercise is done everyday with lowcarb diet cholesterol level stays in good shape
lowandfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/250/150

Height: 5'6"

Hello Twiggy,

Although I am taking Zoloft, my physician and I were just talking about SSRI drugs on Friday. He was telling me that Prozac, Zoloft and several others do make weight loss more difficult. His suggestion was moving to Cymbalta.
Take that for what it is worth...One humble opinion. I am sure there is a mountain of conflicting information out there.
Cheers and good luck.
-Joanne
Macomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 169/169/140

Height: 5"4

Thank you both. I started the Fluoxetine(Prozac) last March after I started having horrible anxiety. It has saved my life. I'm only on 10mgs.a day so it's very low. My dr. said that the average woman takes 20-40mg a day so I really don't think it can be this. I had to have a hysterectomy about 6 years ago and that's when this kinda started. I think that since I've been working out of my home I've let it go a little more lol. I just started working part time again and I think that will do wonders for me. I workout 5 days a week and I'm in very good shape but just have the fat over the muscle..if I could just get rid of the fat then there would be the muscle showing. It's so hard though.
Twiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Prozac is the one anti that I actually lost weight with and felt good.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 106/128/98-106

Height: 5'2

Hello, I have read that it can help control binge eating and actually helps with bulimia and anorexia so I would have thought you would lose weight on it rather than gain? Plus nausea is one of the noted side effects...
marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 211/178/150 LW:161

Height: 5'6

hey all i started taking Prozac a couple of months ago and noticed if anything i have more energy and almost no appetite. Medications all effect us differently though! Good Luck!!
vixxi is offline   Reply With Quote