Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #1  
Mel

Default Oh My Gosh, It's JUNE!!!!

Where did May go? Not to mention January through April....

May wasn't the great month for me that I'd planned. The first 2 and a half weeks were, but work and ds's school problems took over my life. But he is GRADUATING!!!

On the upside, I found cross fit. On the down side, my shoulders don't like it and I've maintained rather than lost. OK, that's probably good considering the last two weeks.

Tea- I posted my workout schedule on the next to last page of the May thread. As Kim said, there are lots of great plans on Krista's site, and in lots of the books which you already have. As a beginner, I think the information overload is a bigger problem than just doing something.

Have a good one, everybody!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:12 AM   #2  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

Good morning, everyone!

Meg -- how many cooks do you have?

I'm off to the gym for another cross-fit workout. I'm heading for the UK on business late in the week, and I know I won't have much free time or access to a gym. So, time to hit it hard for the next two days. Around finishing up work prep for the trip, laundry, packing, getting The Boys set for my absence, etc etc.... where's that coffee cup?

Be strong,
Kim

Last edited by kaw; 06-01-2009 at 09:12 AM.
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #3  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I can't believe it's June either. Another month gone and my plantar fasciitis is still where it was before. Grrr.
I got some bug or something because Friday night I headed to bed soon after I got home from work. I was so wiped out and felt sick to my stomach, there was no way I would lift. Saturday wasn't much better but I slept through most of it. Sunday I felt normal so I hit the gym in the morning and did some good work on my arms. Actually, my FOREARMS are incredible sore. I don't know what I did to make my forearms so sore? the only exercise I normally don't do and I tried yesterday were bicep curls on an incline bench. But I think I went heavier in general on everything else. It feels good though.
I am not sure if I will make to the gym tonight though, this is a bad week for me with many things happening and didn't cook as I usually do on weekends so I have to catch up. I would rather skip a night of working out than ending up with no food to eat. That leads to nasty results, as we all know.

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Hi Mel, thanks for the info, I'll check it out later today!!

well, I got on the scale today, and found I GAINED 1.6 lbs I did calorie cycling this past week, thinking I could repeat my 2.4 lb weight loss from the week before on vacation by calorie cycling, etc etc. Didn't happen this week.

I'm hoping the weight gain is either due to sore muscles from increasing my weight lifting this past week or perhaps an incoming dreaded TOM (my TOM schedule has changed... which it has a tendency of doing every once in awhile so I have no idea when I'll actually get it now, lol.)

My shoulders in particular were so sore this past weekend, that I've opted to just do core & lower body workout today at the gym and hold off on doing any upper body until wednesday at the latest to give my shoulders more time to heal-- they're much better this monday morning!

who knows? The only thing I am disappointed about is I was less than a pound from getting into the 160s here. TSK. It'll just take me longer now to get there, augh! (*Just a wee little vent! ).

Hope everyone else has a better monday than I!!

~ tea

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 06-01-2009 at 01:14 PM.
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I actually got out an Oxygen mag and did a shoulder routine with dumbells this morning. As Meg said some place else a Monday AND the first of the month!! I'll start somethin' good.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:49 PM   #6  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Hey peeps. I'm having CF gym withdrawals, big time! I really wanted to go to the gym today, but still have the crud, and need to be sure I can really afford it before I go back. The really responsible thing to do, financially, would be to wait for July, but I'm a hopeless addict, so I'm trying to find a way to rationalize spending the money this month, lol. Working out at home by myself is not nearly as fun as working out at the CF gym.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #7  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Cheryl I hope you can get things worked out. In the meantime, do you still have your Y membership? Is is possible to do your CrossFit style there once you are feeling better. I know it is much easier to do that style of training with peers but if you went when they were not busy...Hang in there.

SusanB: Enjoy the shoulder workout! I did a new workout this morning too. I did a test drive of a new routine this morning. You know how I knew it was effective? Because I didn't want to finish the last set. Yep, it'll work.

Alena: Wishing you luck on this busy week. Maybe you'll be able to sneak out for a good swim.

Tea: One of the things many of us have noticed as we lost and managed our weight is that sometimes we lose a little, gain a little, and then have a "whoosh" of loss a few days later. Keep working, keeping drinking water, and keep the eats clean. It will happen! The 160's are waiting for you!

Kaw: Have an enjoyable trip even if it is for business.

Mel: Congratulations to your son! I hope he has a wonderful summer celebrating!

Just three more days and my eldest leaves the elementary school at the end of our street. He's ready for middle school but I'm sure not. Looking forward to summer though. I just feels like it's going to be a great one. I'm optimistic anyway. Not sure why. Must be the hangover from my workout this morning.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Lydia, I didn't realize it until just now -- you have one entering middle school and one entering KG Oh well, you won't have the problem of coordinating which classroom you'll volunteer in this way! Do they play together or does the older one just tolerate his little brother? Mine play together pretty well even tho they are 3 grades apart, but only 25 mos apart. One is born at the end of the age range and so is young in grade, and the other is born just after the cutoff and is oldest in her grade. I definitely know which way is better!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #9  
Let's salsa!

SusanB, is it the new issue with Alicia (I think) on the cover? I gleaned it at the checkout isle of my local Zehrs but I didn't have time to even look at it. I think the model had aqua coloured bikini on - I will be disappointed if it's not in my mailbox today!

Mel, congrats to DS!
Old 06-01-2009, 03:47 PM   #10  

The Oxygen mag? No it's from last year in June. The cover is Amber Elizabeth. I don't have my new one either
Old 06-01-2009, 03:56 PM   #11  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmom View Post
Lydia, I didn't realize it until just now -- you have one entering middle school and one entering KG
Now you can understand why I get so excited over the "Little Tykes" plastic furniture leaving the house and backyard.

They do play well together:legos, video games,bikes,trampoline,reading etc. The older one is respectful of the age difference and tends to hold back. The younger one is a bit of a scrapper. He acts much older than his years and considers himself one of the "guys" around his brother's friends. But there are days when the difference in age is not so amusing. That's with any set of siblings I'm sure.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:44 AM   #12  
Let's salsa!

Good morning chickies,

Core 'n More class done. Today it was heavily legs focused (with weights). Good class, I only wish it ran 6:15-7:00 as opposed to 6:30-7:15 (or better yet, if it started at 6:00). The last fifteen minutes after 7 am make it hard for me to get back home, shower, coffee, brekkie, some quality time in the bathroom on the loo [I know this is TMI but "waste management" is important and if I don't get it done before I go to work I am miserable all day LOL], dress and leave. I feed the pooches before I go to the gym.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I like these Tuesday morning classes as they are quite challenging and my only beef with the instructor is that she seems to be more focused on her own workout than paying attention to our form. Which should be very easy as there are only few of us. We were "packed" today - 4 participants. Often, it is just me and one other person. And, at the end of the class I actually caught her, when we were doing plank on the Swiss ball, that her butt was too high up in the air. I really have to say that my own plank far better than hers! LOL

Lydia,
A while ago, when you said I can't be too far from Ohio I mapquested the drive - it's over 8 hours. I forgot the distance but I am sure it would be the same like drive to Chicago. 12 hours, especially in summer. Oh well.
One day!

Wishing you a lovely Tuesday. The rain is gone.

Alena

Last edited by Tomato; 06-02-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #13  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

Well it may be June but it doesn't feel like it here today...brrr...a bit chilly for my liking!

Work has finally slowed down, at least a little bit, so I hope to get back to a little more workouts. I have managed, even through a lot of craziness, to get there three times a week so I'm pretty proud of that. Using work as an excuse not to go to the gym is too easy for me. Having DH to go with on the weekends has definitely helped.

We're off to Nova Scotia later this week and I'm so excited! It's supposed to be so beautiful there and I need to see more of my own country. I don't expect it to be good for my diet but that's generally the choice I make while on vacation. I just try to be extra careful before and after and usually the damage can be limited.

All you shoulder workout people....anyone want to post anything interesting? I have to be careful with my shoulders but I'm always looking for something new to try.

Mel - Congratulations on your son's graduation!!

Hi to everyone...hope the weather is good wherever you are!

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #14  

Hi Elisa822 ... I did alternate db forward raises, bent over db flyes and db lateral raises. I have tiny, antique shoulders (that are mega out of practice)so I did them first with air and then grabbed 5 lbers.
I rep'd until I felt tiring, rested for a short time and moved to the next. 12-15 reps three times through the circuit.

I can tell I did something but they don't hurt today. I can tell that my form was good so I'll use heavier weights next time.

Folks? Please feel free to critique that if you'd like.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:26 AM   #15  
Workin' It

Hi guys -
My headache is finally gone from last week, went away during the day on Sunday, so almost 10 straight days at varying severity. I was about ready to poke my eyes out. Life got in the way of exercise the last couple of days, and probably will again today... Yard work on Sunday (though HRM said it burned 700 calories!), closet work last night that isn't finished, DSS tonight, and as I stayed up until 12:30 last night there was no getting up and exercising this morning. I turned the alarm off when I was lying awake at 4:15... Best laid plans... Again I get on track for a little while to get off track again. Does that happen to any of you guys or is it just me?

Hopefully I'll have something better to report tomorrow.

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote