Old 05-29-2009, 01:09 AM   #1  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default Feeling sad (sorry, long).

Hi!

Silly way to introduce myself here--but I hope it's all right. I've been lurking for several evenings now and you all seem like a bunch or warm and wonderful ladies!

I went shopping tonight --my kids (9 and 11) have their final piano recital on Saturday night.

I found a really cute dress, on sale, even, at Pennigtons. I'd need shoes for it (I haven't worn heels since two pregnancies and two shoe sizes ago!). Then, of course, I would like to get a proper fitting bra and, oh, I don't know what it's called--but it's like a lycra girdle for the tummy and legs. (I'd like that for any dress, really, as I hate having my upper thighs touch each other without fabric between them when I walk. Control top pantyhose MAY be an option but I wouldn't have a clue as to what size.)

However, I have a dress, in my closet, which I've never worn. It's beige and boring. I would need a T-shirt for it--and I found one--but it wasn't all that much cheaper than the dress. It would look OK--in an "Earth Mother" sort of way with the chunky "support" sandals I wear around the house.

I came home and cried. I told my husband I'd like to be "cute." And the dear man said, "Go ahead. You never spend any money on yourself." And it is true, I don't because I just can't. I hate spending money on myself when I'm fat. I don't feel like I deserve it.

This is my very first week of being committed to losing the weight I have. I haven't really got a pre-arranged eating plan worked out yet--I'm just doing my best to eat better (like avoiding the bacon and cheese sandwiches served by my husband for lunch today!) and I'm committed to working out and excercising.

So, why spend $$ to look nice for one night when I'm going to be losing the weight anyway (and I really don't need a "cute" dress. I need shorts. And maybe another pair of pants (I have two.) And tank tops. It's summer and I've literally nothing to wear.

But oh, did I want to eat. And eat and eat when we left the stores. So, I had a 1/2 cup of strawberries, a 1/2 cup of low-fat yogurt, a small bowl of low-fat taco chips and a diet coke. Whew. Maybe I didn't, but I feel like I dodged that bullet.

(I'm a horrible night-time eater anyway. Choosing better food is my goal this week.)

Anyway, sorry this is so long. If you've made it this far, thanks for listening.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:50 AM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Welcome!!!

Okay, your feelings are totally normal. Let's separate the issues and tackle them one by one. Much more manageable that way!

What to wear to the recital: Your kids are interested in having you at their recital. I'm 99.9% positive they don't care what you are wearing so long as you are beaming with pride for them and clapping until your hands are sore.

But it's a good thing that you want to look nice! It is a sign that you care about yourself and that means a lot when it's so easy to put ourselves down for our weight. That said, boy do I totally understand the feeling of not wanting to buy clothes for a body you don't want. What is going to make you feel best? A new dress with new supporting garments (and by the way, even the skinniest of actresses on the red carpet wear Spanx like you are describing that suck everything in. Makes me think of the line in Steel Magnolias where Truvy says, "Well, these thighs haven't gone out of the house without lycra on them since I was 14." And Clairee answers, "You were brought up right." Words to live by no matter your size!) or saving that money for some new clothes after you've lost a little weight? Both are a-okay. Do what is going to make you feel the most confident. Whatever you do, don't avoid spending money because you don't think you are worth it. You are absolutely worth taking care of regardless of your size.

Next, I think it's awesome that you are committed to losing the weight! I think cutting out the high calorie, high fat stuff is a terrific place to start. A lot of people are very successful by creating their own eating plan based on things they know they enjoy. Calorie counting can also help a lot when you do this.

May I just say how awesome it is that you avoided emotional eating tonight?! Knowing that food isn't the appropriate answer to any feeling other than true hunger is one thing, being able to apply that reason in the heat of the moment is FANTASTIC! And exercising too - good for you! Start with walking. It will make such a difference.

There are so many hopeful signs in your post even though it's clear you are feeling frustrated by the weight now. You can do this! And you will feel so much better even with just a handful of pounds lost. Think about setting some small goals for yourself instead of focusing on the total number. 10% of your starting weight is a good one or break it into 10 pound increments.

Hang with us, you absolutely can be that cute person you picture in your mind!

Last edited by CLCSC145; 05-29-2009 at 01:51 AM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:01 AM   #3  
Starting over

Oh, CLCSC145, thank you!

You are such a wonderful encourager! I am so grateful.

You know, I was thinking after I wrote this that I do need summer weight clothing of almost every kind. A nice pair of capri pants and a decent top would be a sensible compromise--and I can always wear it to something else--assuming there is something else. (But why wouldn't there be--even just to look nice grocery shopping! No, we don't get out much.)

So, I'll go back to Pennington's tomorrow (and another store nearby) and perhaps I can find something a bit more versatile--and still feel like I didn't frump out for the occasion.

And yeah--you can bet there'll be an after picture of me in a "cute" dress (or whatever!).

About the eating? I took my before shots today. Wow. What a motivator!
Old 05-29-2009, 08:38 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

*huggles* Hiya! Welcome to the most wonderful place in the world.

I'm so proud of you, making such an important commitment in your life. It's very good that you've already recognized it as a commitment, and not a diet. That and a little patience and paying attention will get you alot farther than you think.

I know what you mean about the clothing. I love fashion, but can't really wear anything. At the moment I'm wearing simple black pants and a beige sweater that's been washed so many times it's gone grey. But I think, you should treat yourself when you lose some weight, say 5 or 10 lbs, and go ahead and get that cute dress. It's important to feel good! Alot of people on here give themselves rewards for progress made, especially in the form of clothes or haircuts/stylings, makeovers, anything that makes you feel fabulous. I got highlights put in at 20 lbs lost. Or, alternatively, you could buy the dress a size small and use it as a motivator!

As for the eating, I had real trouble with that at first, too... I couldn't seem to stop being hungry. Eating every 3 hours helped, and planning my calories so that there was a little wiggle room at the end of the day, in case I blew it and reached for one last meal.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Check out yard sales, thrift stores, etc. also, you can get more clothes for the money (If you're lucky) Also, you can always have a fave dress or pants cut down as you're losing weight to get more use out of it.

It sounds like you're headed in the right direction and making good choices so keep up the good work and remember you don't have to be perfect. If you do make a bad choice just chock up to a learning experience and make better choices at the next meal or whatever.
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:14 AM   #6  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

If you have cnsignment shops in your area you may want to check those out. I have outfitted myself all the way down from consignment shops because I didn't want to spend a lot of money on clothes that won't fit this time next year. I have gotten so many great bargains and many of them still had original store tags on them! There is a woman who engages in retail therapy (cheaper than a psychiatrist I guess) and I stumbled on the consignment store she goes to when she cleans out her closet! Unfortunately I think I've lost more weight than she has.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:30 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

I would have to second everything the wise ladies said. My own two cents is that it is important to love yourself and dress yourself as well as you can regardless of size. If you dress like you're a grey shapeless person you're more likely to feel gross and unworthy and all that negative stuff. Take the time to make yourself look nice and just see how much better you feel regardless of size. You have to be worth it now or you won't be worth it when it gets hard somewhere else down the road.

Personally, I have a rockin closet full of size 18's (a lot of what is getting altered as I go dang it), when my clothes fit and I look nice, I feel better and more social and therefore more likely to get on that treadmill or go for that walk. Please don't wait to start finding the beautiful person you are on the inside and outside, it so pays off.

Hugs!
Tummy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:40 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

You do deserve it! I started a year ago. One thing I decided when I made my life change was to START loving myself. I should have done it years ago. I started paying attention to my makeup, to my skin and smaller things too--things like rubbing on lotion after my bath and just doing things "a lady that loved herself" would do. I didn't feel like others really loved me so I made up my mind to love myself FOR ME instead.

There is some wonderful advice overhead. If you don't like the clothes in your wardrobe or they depress you then get them outta there! I would rather have three outfits I loved than 20 that depressed me when I looked at them. You might also want to experiment w/some accessories if you aren't already--scaves, colorful purses to give every outfit a "punch, or maybe some colorful jewelry. These types of purchases will be suitable even as your weight goes down. I think the idea of consignment shops is also a good one. Good for the environment and for the pocketbook!

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 05-29-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:42 AM   #9  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

As far as eating, try staying away from empty calories like chips etc. If you eat your protein, veggies, fruit, little or no bread/starches, little or no sweets, in that order, you will probably not eat the bread and sweets, as the protein, veggies and fruit will fill you up and keep you satisfied.

This is how my bariatric doctor has her patients eat and said it would work fantastic on anyone with or without surgery. Give it a try.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #10  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I'm glad you decided to come out and join us! I agree with everything C.C. & others have already said to you. Listen to these ladies...they are awesome!

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 05-29-2009 at 10:50 AM.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #11  
Starting over

What a wonderful bunch of ladies you truly are!

I haven't quite decided what to do about the clothes just yet.

Funny story, though. In my twenties I gained a lot of weight--I was at about 180lbs. I went out and bought a lovely "mini-wardrobe" for grad school--and about a month after I decided to lose the weight. I got to a wonderfully lean 137lbs with diet and exercise and in nine months (I realise that in my forties, now, I may not have quite the same rate of success!). I maintained that for about seven years--and then I got married, had babies, and so on. But I remember: how I felt in those clothes (partly) got me going.

So, yes, I understand, in my head, that I need to love myself and treat myself well regardless of where I am in the weight loss journey. Doing it to punish myself or because I hate myself isn't going to work. And there's a great deal of "self-care" I need to get back into--habits I've let go. It's terrific, though, isn't it that once you reverse a downward spiral--you create an upward one?

(Oh dear--The husband's home on holidays this week--and he's making me breakfast with a TON of cheese in the veggie omelet I requested for breakfast. Ack.)
Old 05-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #12  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

Welcome!

I've only been with the site for a few days and already I feel inspiration and a lot of support to help me reach my goal weight - you will too!

L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:38 PM   #13  
Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tummy Girl View Post
I would have to second everything the wise ladies said. My own two cents is that it is important to love yourself and dress yourself as well as you can regardless of size. If you dress like you're a grey shapeless person you're more likely to feel gross and unworthy and all that negative stuff. Take the time to make yourself look nice and just see how much better you feel regardless of size. You have to be worth it now or you won't be worth it when it gets hard somewhere else down the road.

Personally, I have a rockin closet full of size 18's (a lot of what is getting altered as I go dang it), when my clothes fit and I look nice, I feel better and more social and therefore more likely to get on that treadmill or go for that walk. Please don't wait to start finding the beautiful person you are on the inside and outside, it so pays off.

Hugs!
Amen.

You are always worth looking your best, fat does not = ugly, unattractive, or undeserving. Fat is an unhealthy condition that can be changed. Feel free to check my profile pic and I will tell you I always know I am worth new shoes, new dresses, and new pieces to flatter my body and keep my looking my best as I move through every stage of weight loss. Besides you have a husband you need to be looking sexy for anyway! How you look is how you feel.

Last edited by rochemist; 05-29-2009 at 01:50 PM.
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana in Canada View Post
Funny story, though. In my twenties I gained a lot of weight--I was at about 180lbs. I went out and bought a lovely "mini-wardrobe" for grad school--and about a month after I decided to lose the weight. I got to a wonderfully lean 137lbs with diet and exercise and in nine months (I realise that in my forties, now, I may not have quite the same rate of success!). I maintained that for about seven years--and then I got married, had babies, and so on. But I remember: how I felt in those clothes (partly) got me going.
I did the same thing. I was tired of ugly or too tight clothes and tired of telling myself I should lose weight but not doing it. So I went I got nice things. Then a couple of months later I "for some reason" finally changed my life. I do think treating myself better (with the clothes) contributed to treating myself better in other ways. I actually never even wore some of those clothes I bought.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 05-29-2009 at 01:45 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #15  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana in Canada View Post
Oh, CLCSC145, thank you!
You are MOST welcome! I'm glad you're feeling energized about this!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote