Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Default Burn Fat/Feed Muscle

Warning - lengthy post!

Hello all! I have been "hanging out" here at 3FC for over a year. Happily, I have managed to lose 30 pounds since I started (yay!), and spent last summer walking a 5K - 3 or more times a week - and even started short bursts of running (!!!!) to mix it up. I went back to work in September (I drive a school bus), so those early morning jaunts are no more (until June 24th). I am a calorie-counter combined with Volumetrics, and had fairly steady decreases in 2008...but things did slow down in Sept. And then ground to a halt in November.

I got wiiFit for Christmas, and was very faithful doing the workouts for three months. I didn't see much (if any) losses during that time - I did gain a few (4-6#) over the holidays, but managed to knock it down a bit. I have been holding steady at 193-194. I am maintaining - I try knocking down the calories for a while, but see no change. If you happen to look at my FitDay, for a while there I was keeping the calories at or below 1440 - but no change in the weight (it even went up a bit!). Lately the count has been closer to 1700 (on average). I will admit to sloppy numbers - guesstimating and such... (Hanging head in shame). I feel my get-up-n-go has got-up-and-went!

In hopes of getting my mojo back, I have been reading lately, trying to find *something* to get that spark back. I have learned so much through 3FC, reading everyone's stories, travels and travails...I am a twice daily lurker and peruse so many links!! I *know* that my next step will have to be upping the exercise, in addition to monitoring my calories honestly and precisely. Getting my butt (and my mind!) in gear is the challenge!!! With a lack of funds for joining a gym, I will be reviving my "mii" on wiifit (and picked up plastic steps at a tag sale to up the difficulty), and also trying out the routine videos on RealAge. I gotta get going - three weeks away from starting that 5k - and I really wanna be able to run to the top of that first hill by the end of summer!

Now, to the question/query:

I read Mindless Eating(good info, dead-on!) , and borrowed (library) Tom Venuto's book "The Body Fat Solution" - great info, but still trying to plod through it. Tom's ebook has gotten great press here on 3FC, and I can't find any bad reviews online. Is it really worth the $$ (with the various and sundry "extras" included)? The one beef I noted in the reviews is that it is really, really Lo-o-o-ong - does the book "flow" sensibly, without putting the reader to sleep with extensive (dry) explanations? I get that Tom Venuto knows his stuff, but does he tend to try to "prove" it with college dissertation thoroughness? Or is the book just packed with useful information and nuggets waiting to be discovered? I also understand that he doesn't get into specifics on exercises - but, that info is all over the 'net, easy enough to find!

So, whatta ya think? Is it worth the time and money - did you find that it helped your weight loss/fitness? I think I'm looking for something to help clarify/focus my path, and kick me in the tush!

Thanks for any input - and thank you for all your posts and stories - you've all inspired me!!!
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Height: 5'4"

I know nothing about the books, but if you have a wii, check out the following "games" EA Sports Active, My Fitness Coach and Golds Gym Cardio.

I use all of these and they are great! If you don't have the money to buy them new check Craigslist, if that doesn't work trade in old games (if you have em) at Game Stop for credit towards these. If you can only buy one I'd go for the EA Active as it's more interactive and rounded.

I am also picking up a Tony Little Gazelle for free that I found on Craigslist, I bought an elliptical for $10.00 at a yard sale, so check all of these out for more equipment/options.

Good Luck

Last edited by melwolfe; 05-28-2009 at 12:45 PM.
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:46 PM   #3  

BFFM is worth every dime and all the time to read it. I did not find it boring college-like reading. The entire first part (2 chapters?) cover motivation and by the time you're done reading them you'll be on fire to act. For me, I felt like BFFM took all the things I'd ever heard about diet and exercise and combined them into one place. He debunks some stuff and confirms other things. I learned new stuff I'd never heard before but makes perfect sense.

Here's the thing though, it is NOT a book for someone who wants to lose weight mindlessly (the same way they gained it). If you are interested in understanding how bodies work and WILLING to learn how to fine-tune diet and exercise to find out what works best for you- this is the book for you.

BFFM doesn't tell you what to do or eat based on some amorphous formula. YOU have to figure out the exacts for yourself but he walks you though exactly how to do it. If you are willing to be actively engaged both physically AND mentally in FAT loss, this is the perfect book for you.

The thing is, because you learn about your own body in the process you're much more likely to be able to maintain weight loss because you learn to rely on yourself and your own body signals and aren't constantly looking for a weight loss guru to tell you what to do. This is the book for those looking for answers rather than a quick fix. If that's you- go get it!
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/130/125

Height: 5'3"

I don't have much to add but I wanted to chime in on the EA Sports Active for the Wii since it was mentioned. I LOVE IT!!!! I highly recommend it if you're wanting to up your exercise. I also used steps with WiiFit to make it more of a challenge. It worked great but it still dosen't compare top the Sports Active.

I'm doing the 30 day challenge...I'm on week two and already see a difference in muscle definition. It comes with a resistance band but I bought some others that are even more "resistant". This really is like having a personal trainer in your own home.
ContessaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:18 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 221/173.5/165(for now)

Height: 5'8"

Thank you all for your responses!

Quote:
Here's the thing though, it is NOT a book for someone who wants to lose weight mindlessly (the same way they gained it).
Which is a good thing, Bindersbee - after more than a year of faithfully recording my foods into fitday, reading 3FC for the same amount of time, and pushing myself to keep away from the "old" ways (fast foods, sitting down with a bag of chips, etc.), I just need to re-boot the enthusiasm, and make exercise a true habit and source of joy - not a source of dread. I truly need to find that focus, that "drive" to get through the next step on my way to health, ideal weight and energy.

Quote:
I know nothing about the books, but if you have a wii, check out the following "games" EA Sports Active, My Fitness Coach and Golds Gym Cardio.
ContessaN & melwolfe - thanks for the suggestions on a new wii program - I have been considering all of these, and it's great to hear opinions on these choices.

Thank you again - and I will also make a concerted effort to input more into 3FC - I tend to lurk. I feel as if I could at least support with a "Good for you", even if I have little to add to a conversation.
judipurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:06 AM   #6  
Becoming myself

S/C/G: 294/233/180

Height: 5'9"

I LOVE BFFM. Seriously. I've read every book there is, it seems like, on this subject. I chose to keep BFFM close! It's great information, easy to understand, and useful. I've been reading and following for about a month. I've lost 5 pounds and 4.5 of those pounds have been fat--I'm tracking my body fat percentage, too, that's how I know. I'm having such a revolutionary time with this program! It's made all the difference to me.
sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote