Old 05-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #1  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

Default taking measurements

Last week I took my measurements for the first time. Today I took them again and I've gained 5 inches total. I'm thinking I did something wrong. I know I ate a lot this weekend, but I'm only up 1.5 lbs. Can anyone give me advice on how to properly take measurements? Thanks!!
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #2  
Workin' It

Which measurements did you take?

Also, when I eat something with a lot of sodium or sugar I can increase an inch or even two on my waist measurement, two to three sometimes over my tummy. I was up two inches after this weekend, but it is starting to come back down.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #3  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

http://www.wikihow.com/Take-Measurements-(For-Women)
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:43 PM   #4  

Yeah I have the same problem. It seems like everytime I measure myself everything is exactly the same which I know can't be right because my clothes are getting loser...i'm clueless

Last edited by kswood87; 05-27-2009 at 03:46 PM.
kswood87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:12 PM   #5  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I use my freckles but for some reason God chose to put a freckle right where I needed to measure everything! I know some people put a mark with a sharpie or something and keep marking so it doesn't fade. For waists, sometimes it's easy because you have a narrow waist but if not, you'll need a mark. I personally keep track of my chest, under my chest (just because my friend was doing it so I joined in with her...we call it our underboobies), my waist, my hips (around the fullest part of my hips and butt), my upper arm, my forearm, my thigh and my calf.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 05-27-2009 at 04:15 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:22 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonsBaby View Post
I use my freckles
Hehe, I do that too
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:55 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

I suppose I could use my stretch marks as markers as I don't have any freckles lol
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #8  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaJubilee View Post
thank you for that link! I just spent time reading alot of other 'how to's' for women (building confidence, how to walk like a diva )

I try to measure at visually the smallest part (like the dip in the waist) or the biggest part of body. So at least I'm being consistant on the area. And I hold the tape very lightly, I try not to make an indent in the skin, and I am consistant with that same pressure.
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:21 AM   #9  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

Thanks so much for all of the responses! I really appreciate it. I did use a website that gave me directions, but somehow I managed to measure a different "widest part." I've never been good with that stuff. I really like the mark idea. I could even use a brown sharpie and it'll look like one of my freckles. Thanks again!!
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I always measure in the morning first thing, before I eat anything and after the "morning pee". I use a thin rope so that it goes around the curves. Then mark it with a sharpie and lie it on top of a tape measure. I have found this is the best way for me to measure. As for where to measure, I think that's up to you. I have more like an hourglass shape, so I measure my waist (the smallest part of my midsection) and then I measure my hip area which is the biggest part of my midsection (also known as my 'donut'). I do this every saturday morning because it takes a correct measurement of how I did during the week.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:05 AM   #11  
Joggernaut

S/C/G: 172/165

Height: 5'2

I measure down to my hips in the mirror. I've found even looking down at my waist measurement changes it.

Also, I'm not too precise about things. I've been measuring for 8 months now so I have a general idea if things are moving in one direction or the other.

I got some list of 10 spots to measure and so I've been using that the whole time. The worst place to measure it just above my knee. I have such bulging thighs that to measure the slightest bit north or south makes a 1-2 inch difference. But somehow I can measure the tops of my thighs pretty accurately.
joyra is offline   Reply With Quote