Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #1  
Fox

S/C/G: 205/197/160

Height: 5'5"

Default Am I the last one to discover Morning Star products?

This morning at the grocery store I bought a box of Morning Star Tomato Basil Pizza Burgers on a whim. I've never had them before but I figured, what the heck! I just finished them for lunch (2 patties, 1 slice cheese, ketchup and mustard, no bread) and they are really, REALLY good!! Only 120 calories and 10 grams of protein a piece. YAY! I'm looking forward to trying the other flavors, I saw someone here mention that the spicy black bean ones were good. Unfortunately they didn't have that flavor at my store, just the regular veggie burger flavor and the pizza burger ones.

What other morning star products do you enjoy? Any that aren't that great?
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:27 AM   #2  

I love those tomato basil ones. I put one in a flatout wraps with sauted broccoli slaw ,garlic, onion, red pepper sauce and some ff cream cheese.. heaven! I love their sausage patties and when I get a hankering for junk food, their veggie corn dogs!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I generally don't eat Morningstar products because they contain egg, although I heard recently that they may be moving to change that.

There are a few other products I like:
Trader Joe's Masala burgers
Sunshine burgers (oh so good)
Soy Boy Okara burger
Garden Burger Chipotle Black bean burger
Health is Weath products (unchicken patties, unchicken nuggets)

I also discovered a new brand called Moophrey but I haven't tried them yet.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:15 PM   #4  
Fox

I'm not a vegetarian so I've never even thought to buy them, but today I had a craving for a burger which isn't so bad in an of itself it's just that all the stuff I like to put on burger "to make it tasty" is not so great (bacon, different kinds of cheeses, ranch dressing, etc.) and the Morning Star Burger seemed like it might have a ton of flavor (it did!) and take the place of all those fatty toppings I used to put on. It's also a nice option to have because they can sit in the freezer and then be cooked up in a matter of minutes!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #5  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

I love Morning Star Farms:

Meal Starters--fake ground beef
Grillers Prime--burgers(I ate three last night)
Sausage Patties--oh so very good
Corn Dogs--add ketchup and they are just like the real thing

I want to try:

the bacon, & the long sausages, like bratwurst looking sausages.

Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:46 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugCanDoIt View Post
I love Morning Star Farms:

Corn Dogs--add ketchup and they are just like the real thing
Ketchup on a corn dog.. Blasphemy!!
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #7  
Fox

Well I went back to pick up another box of the tomato basil pizza burgers and they were on sale (yay!) but sold out (boo!). So I ended up with a box of the spicy black bean flavor and then I picked up a box of the tomato basil Bocca brand so we'll see how that one compares.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:03 PM   #8  
Fox

Had the Bocca brand for lunch, it's not as good as the Morning Star brand but it's still pretty decent and together on the roll with the cheese, light mayo, spinach and tomato it's tasty.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:11 PM   #9  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Morningstar farms Spicy black bean and Boca onion are my favs!!! I usually make lettuce wraps:

2 Veggie Burgers - I used Morningstar Spicy Black Bean
PAM Spray
Feta Cheese Crumbles
2 sundried tomatoes
4 pieces of Boston Bib Lettuce, rinsed and patted dry

1. Take the PAM and spray a skillet. Heat the skillet on medium high heat. Place two patties in the skillet and cook on both side for about 5 minutes or so.

2. Take one of the burgers and place on a toaster oven safe plate. Add some feta cheese to the top. Then take the second burger atop of that one and put more feta on top of that. Toast in toaster oven for 5 minutes, or the medium/dark setting.

3. In the meantime, take 2 sundried tomatoes (I used the ones in oil as that's what I had!) and cut them in half giving you 4 pieces.

4. Take out the burger and cut in half, then cut each half into half again, giving you 4 pieces. Top each piece with a sundried tomato. Place the lettuce leaves on a place and top each leaf with a piece of burger!

jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:50 PM   #10  
Gaining Attitude

S/C/G: 205 / 193 / 145

Height: 5'5

I loved loved LOVED the Morningstar sausages - until I read the ingredient list. Sigh. They don't go with our commitment to more whole foods (anything processed has to have no more ingredients than I can count on my two hands and I have to be able to RECOGNIZE what those ingredients are - grin!). Every once in awhile I'll pull out a box from the freezer section just to see if maybe ... just maybe ... but no, sadly...but then I guess it is all those unrecognizable things that make them taste SO GOOD! Oh I did find something called a "Sunshine Burger" in our store that is a veggie burger that is surprisingly good, short ingredient list and is more than passable. Sometimes we get that. Convenience is still a necessity...
bobblefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:22 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

The year I was losing I ate the Morning Star Farms Chick Pattie almost every day for lunch. They're great, though I haven't had them in months - likewise the Spicy Bean Burger and the Meat crumbles, which I've also enjoyed in the past. My DD loves the sausage patties.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #12  
Tammy

S/C/G: 211/209/145

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
The year I was losing I ate the Morning Star Farms Chick Pattie almost every day for lunch. They're great, though I haven't had them in months - likewise the Spicy Bean Burger and the Meat crumbles, which I've also enjoyed in the past. My DD loves the sausage patties.
What type of weight loss program were you doing? I am totally not a vegetarian, but if these taste good, I'm gonna try some of 'em. I love the idea of having a pizza burger, sausage patty, etc. I'll have to check the fat grams; ............going to their website now.

Oh, what is the cost of these compared to other frozen convenience foods? I'd like to get as much convenience for work lunches, and plan the snacks.

Last edited by ladyviv; 06-02-2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: added question about cost.
ladyviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #13  
Tammy

S/C/G: 211/209/145

Height: 5'4"

Ohhhh, would the meat crumbles be good for soups?
ladyviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:13 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyviv View Post
What type of weight loss program were you doing? I am totally not a vegetarian, but if these taste good, I'm gonna try some of 'em. I love the idea of having a pizza burger, sausage patty, etc. I'll have to check the fat grams; ............going to their website now.

Oh, what is the cost of these compared to other frozen convenience foods? I'd like to get as much convenience for work lunches, and plan the snacks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyviv View Post
Ohhhh, would the meat crumbles be good for soups?
These are the only frozen products that I buy, so I don't know comparative prices. They run about $5.00 for a box of 4 burgers.

I've used the crumbles to make chillis and tacos and that kind of thing. Quite certain they'd be fine in soups.

Oh and I'm not a vegetarian either. Although certain days, you'd never know it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:58 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

Me too -- some days you wouldn't know it.

Love the new maple veg sausages. The black bean burgers are good, and so are the mushroom ones, btw.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote