Old 05-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

Default My turn in the Emergency Room...UGH

I've had an umbilical hernia for awhile now. Well, it decided to get bigger and a lot more painful over the weekend. I spent a good deal of Monday in the ER being abused by doctors, surgeons and interns. I can see one or TWO of them trying to push it back in, but EVERYONE?! Grrrrrrrr. Morphine only works for so long. Anyway, after convincing them that I could survive another day or two they let me go home so I could make plans, clean my house, do laundry...you know, all the important stuff Moms feel compelled to do before taking care of themselves. It isn't strangulated yet, but there is a concern about circulation so the surgery will be sooner rather then later. To insure this, I only got enough pain meds for 3 days. Fine with me, I hate the way my head feels on this stuff.

So, this is going to sidetrack my exercise A LOT but at least when its fixed it should be fixed forever. I am upset that this is going to derail my progress but I have put it off for many years so it was only a matter of time before it bit me in the butt. Actually, the surgeon said it is probably because of my shrinking tummy and all the exercise that it got worse. I never thought about that but it makes sense...tighten up the abdominal muscles, hurt the hernia. DUH! LOL! So, I am going to be leaning on you ladies to keep me motivated while I am a bit sidelined. I will try to be a good cheerleader if I am not in the game. However, I am a MOM, I am a SUPERHERO. I don't plan on being sidelined for long. Heck, after leaving the ER, I popped the pain pills, baked a pie and cooked hamburgers on the grill for Memorial Day. LOL...I never claimed I was a genius.

I am a bit annoyed already. They pumped me full of a couple of bags of saline in preparation for emergency surgery. The scale is reflecting that. So I am going by what the scale said BEFORE I went to the ER.

I have to make an appointment for my 7 year old to see a pediatric cardiologist too. So I am going to count on you guys to help squish the "emotional eating/stress eating" response. I am hoping for a good evaluation for him, but it is still scary none the less.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:07 AM   #2  
1 day at a time!

S/C/G: 276/264/146

Height: 5'9"

Awww Sarah... sounds like you are having a really rough time right now. *hugs*. You may not be able to have a proper exercise right now - but being a mom is more than enough exercise some days! This will all pass and you will come back full on!

Take it easy. Rest and Good Luck with everything!
emmalee51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #3  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

OMG, Sarah --- that is a lot of stuff hitting you all at once! I am sorry you are having the trouble with the hernia, but MAN! am I glad that you got immediate medical attention and that the doctors all agree to get it resolved soonest. I will definitely be keeping you and your son in my thoughts for the next few days.

As for your title as the ever-shrinking IrishSarah, my guess is that you will not be much derailed at all with your eating and will be back 100% in very short order. Rest and take care of yourself as much as you can, Sarah, and ask for help where you need to.

Kudos to you for pausing for 3 days in the middle of your medical emergency to make sure everything was in place for you family! Superhero is right!
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:11 AM   #4  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Oh, Sarah, sorry to hear all this is happening to you. I hope you feel better soon.

Lean away on us, that's what we're here for. And it's good you're keeping in mind the water weight, etc you will gain. Try not to let it bother you.

You've done so well already, now you need to get well and then you'll continue on your journey and all will be good.

I'm sorry to hear about your son too, is everything OK? Or is that what you're going to the doc to check?

Last edited by chickiegirl; 05-26-2009 at 09:11 AM.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:56 AM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Oh babe. I had my umbilical hernia fixed 5 years ago and it really was quite simple. I had it done laproscopically and I'd say the worst part was that they fill you chock full of AIR and having to pass all the gas afterwards! I'm sending easy surgery and quick healing vibes to you. Mine strangulated twice and man it SUCKS!!!!!! *mega hugs* and update us as soon as you can!!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:59 AM   #6  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Sorry you're having such a hard time, hope they get it sorted soon!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #7  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Oh boy. I'm so sorry to hear about all of this. It's hard enough when it is you that is going through something, but to have your child have health issues too is really tough.

Hang in there!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #8  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Wow, what an eventful day you had! Being pain free with the hernia fixed will be worth it, but downtime is hard to have when people depend on you. Try not to be too hard on yourself!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #10  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I don't know much about hernias, but that does NOT sound like fun AT ALL.....Good luck, Sarah!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #11  

First of all, thank you all for the support. I knew I could count on all of you. It helps to hear that our wonderful Cfmama went though this already. I think what bothers me the most is the fact that I won't be able to take care of everything I usually do, the way I am used to. I don't like the idea of my mom taking time off of work to help out either. It just makes me feel bad. I was also a bit bummed about derailing my progress, but just because I'll have to lay off exercising for awhile doesn't mean I have to stop losing weight; I just have to be smarter. Once I talk to the surgeon tomorrow, I will know exactly what we are doing and when, then I can make some plans and that will feel better.

As for my Liam. Well, he has a heart murmur that we don't think is so "innocent" anymore. He is just having too many symptoms upon exertion. I know its not asthma, so we are going to get a complete evaluation. We have a history of heart problems in the family, so I think I've put this off long enough. The last straw was a few days ago when he tried to go for a bike ride with his brothers and my husband. The poor kid was physically exhausted, near tears...skin was a bit off color. It is worse when it is warm out. It wasn't like they went far or fast either. Poor kid. I just do not want to be that parent whose kid ends up on the news because he just collapsed during football tryouts or something like that. I would rather investigate the **** out of this then put it off any longer. Thanks for the concern. It means a lot.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

Oh man! I hope you get in quickly and get healed up fast. I got a umbilical hernia with my second pregnancy (he's 4 now almost 5) but we've never done anything about it. I wonder if the same thing will happen to me! I'll have to remember to keep an eye on it.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be up and about in no time and back to your routine.
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfessorSiuan View Post
Oh man! I hope you get in quickly and get healed up fast. I got a umbilical hernia with my second pregnancy (he's 4 now almost 5) but we've never done anything about it. I wonder if the same thing will happen to me! I'll have to remember to keep an eye on it.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be up and about in no time and back to your routine.
If you ever get pregnant again, I'll guarantee you it will show up again. I got mine when I was pregnant with my Ian (son #3). After he was born, it went away. It came back when I was pregnant with Aidan (son #4). Only this time, it never went back in. It has been tolerable until recently. He is 10 months old now.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #14  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Talk about a full plate!

If it helps, my mom had surgery about three weeks ago for not one, not two, but THREE hernias! Her recovery was very quick and relatively painless. She was back on her feet in days.

Take care of yourself first! You can't take care of anyone else if you don't take care of you!
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote