Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-10-2009, 08:34 PM   #1  
Breathe the pressure

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5' 9"

Angry Gym pet peeves!

I didn't see a thread like this but if there is one then maybe somone can direct me to it. For those of you who belong to a gym what types of things REALLY annoy you that other people do? Vent away!

Here are a few of mine.
Today I go to do my upper body workout and I'm doing bicep curls with 15 lb. dumbells and some girl comes up to me with her 5 lb. dumbells and tries to convince me that I will get bulky if I lift with heavy weights! First off it's a myth, second of all don't interrupt me to voice your opinion about my workout worry about your own, and thirdly even if it were true not everyone shys away from their muscles! I just said "right", rolled my eyes, grabbed the 20 lb dumbells and cranked up my music.

Another annoyance is when I get to a machine and someone across from me gets annoyed that I got there first. So she decides to just stand in front of me and stare at me giving me dirty looks until I'm done. I would have gladly shared the machine with her but she was being rude.

Anyone else want to vent?
GypsyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #2  
No description available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyLove View Post
Today I go to do my upper body workout and I'm doing bicep curls with 15 lb. dumbells and some girl comes up to me with her 5 lb. dumbells and tries to convince me that I will get bulky if I lift with heavy weights! First off it's a myth, second of all don't interrupt me to voice your opinion about my workout worry about your own, and thirdly even if it were true not everyone shys away from their muscles! I just said "right", rolled my eyes, grabbed the 20 lb dumbells and cranked up my music.
Well, I'm spoiled rotten with my gym, but GOOD for you on the 20s!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

When I belonged to a gym, my biggest pet peeve was the folks who gathered up ALLLLLL the equipment they'd need for an entire hour workout, sequestered it on a mat, and glared at you if you asked if you could borrow it.

OK, this was really just one person in particular. But I kid you not, she at one time was preventing anyone else from using 2 Bosu trainers (of 3 in the gym), 1 pair each of 5, 8, and 10 lb dumbbells, a stability ball, 2 medicine balls in different weights, a weighted bar, and the only adjusting bench in the women's fitness room. And I asked once if I could work in on the bench, and she said no, even though she was off doing crunches on the stability ball at the time.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I wonder if the tiny weights thing is having a resurgence. I first started weight training about 1991 (dang, imagine if I had kept it up all this time!), and always lifted as heavy as I could, and never heard I should lift lighter or worry about bulking up.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:51 PM   #5  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Hmmm. Number one pet peeve Oh. I know: cologne, aftershave, perfume, or any scent at all. I can rerack weights, I can readjust a bench or wait my turn but when someone is lifting next to me or doing cardio and it smells like a crowded elevator on a Monday morning, it can ruin my workout.

Attitude would have to run a close second. Okay, maybe that would be first and the scent thing second. Egos need to be left at the door. No one is all that, and if they are it's only for the moment because there is always going to be someone stronger, faster, fitter, skilled, or whatever who may walk through the door next.

GypsyLove: It sounds like you really had a bad experience today. I hope that this isn't the usual culture at your gym. Just do your thing and do it well. At the end of the day, it's the result that you want that matter. Just don't find a bench next to me and be wearing scented lotion or anything.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #6  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

I live in a really active area, so there is very very few overweight people at my gym. I am probably one of...maybe five (not including DF though). So I get lots of cocky stares while I am doing equipment. I go during hours it's not so crowded to avoid that as much as possible. It discourages me and makes me not want to be at the gym. I wish they knew I've lost 50lbs and I am redoing my life style.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #7  
Breathe the pressure

S/C/G: 250/ticker/150

Height: 5' 9"

Lydia227, there are only a few people floating around like that in my gym, for the most part people are friendly here. I wanted to tell her soooo many different things but I bit my tongue and just decided it wasn't worth it and went on with my workout. The gym is my happy place so I try my best to keep it that way.

OMG! The perfume thing bothers me so much! It makes it hard for me to breath and makes me want to gag. It can stop my workout dead in it's tracks! I have to go find another section of the gym to workout in when that happens.
GypsyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:03 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Perfume at the gym or anywhere for that matter, bothers me...

Gym management of course want us to wipe our cardio machine after we've worked out, they give you a spray bottle and a hand towel but rarely change the towel, so it's wet, full of germs, so all I'm doing is spreading the germs, gross!!! When it's wet like that I refuse to touch it and don't clean my machine...

I also hate when someone spits their gum in the fountain bowl, it's gotta be the teenagers there at night, another discusting thing...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #9  
Working My Way Back Down

Oh, it's gotta people who don't wipe things down. Now if you you're doing a 5-10 min warm up and don't drip sweat all over, I'm not too bad, but we religiously have one guy who sweats through all his gym clothes, and then, not only does he not wipe off his treadmill, he goes and uses a stability ball and doesn't wipe that - ewwww! The perfume one gets me too - usually the gals on the treadmill about 2 mph, reading a magazine. And - though they never break a sweat - they never fail to wipe down the machine.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:54 AM   #10  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I am afraid to say that I don't have any complaints about other fellow members at my gym (for fear that I will jinx myself). But hoarding equipment would annoy me and don't get me started on cologne/aftershave/perfume. I happen to have a acute sense of smell and even the tiniest dab of cologne is detected by my nose and I perceive it as if the person would be in a CLOUD of fragrance - although I am the only one who can smell it and others can't.
(I must have been a dog in my previous life).

There is only one guy at my gym that I noticed he often sits on machines (resting) for like .... 5 minutes. But I don't see him there often and so far it really has not been a problem for me but I just noticed that it was his habit.

Oh, the chick who would want to convince that I should lift heavier than 5 lb would seriously crack me up.

Last edited by Tomato; 04-14-2009 at 11:54 AM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 12:33 PM   #11  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I get kind of cranky when I venture into the "big boy's weight room" and am downright hovered over when I use a bench and am asked repeatedly, "are you using that? Are you done yet? Are you using that?"

I use the bench for all of 5 minutes. Let me be. KWIM?
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #12  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

My beef is the boys (I workout at the university that I work at)that load up the squat machine with 100 lbs weights and don't remove them. I'm going to break a toe one of these days. Sometimes I ask one of the boys to remove them for me...
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I don't like it when women dry their pubic area with the dryers--I am sorry but it grosses me out when I am just trying to get my makeup on!

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 04-14-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #14  
PR 1 Mile: 9:44

S/C/G: 200.5/160/130

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
I don't like it when women dry their pubic area with the dryers--I am sorry but it grosses me out when I am just trying to get my makeup on!
Another reason that I drive home to shower. Sheesh, they really do that?
dixied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:43 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Never thought of that use for hair dryers. That is downright, disgusting. I would walk out never to return. I thought people walking on the floors and showering in bare feet gave me the heebie-jeebies.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote