Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 270/206/150

Height: 5-4

Thumbs down HELP me overcome my Horror Hour

Hi, I am new to this website, but noticed that one of my weekest points of the day is the hour I get home. I will be fine all day long at work, and then between 4:30 and 5:30 as I am preparing dinner, I get started on munching anything and everything in sight. Any suggestions or advice would be great
lookingtobehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

How about establishing a set snack before dinner? Instead of 'munching', eat your snack, prep dinner and eat your dinner?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #3  

When I was losing weight, my danger hours were between 4:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. It finally clicked in to me that I had plan, plan, plan. So what I did was when I got home I developed a routine. I put on a teapot for tea, popped a piece of gum in my mouth and went to change clothes. By the time I had changed I was ready to prepare dinner. I'd sip on the hot tea and that would help me not eat! If I just had to have something, I'd plan for baby carrots dipped in salsa. I know it sounds gross, but you've just got to try it. I found that planning is the key. By the way I lost 150 pounds twelve years ago! Diane
ilost150pounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #4  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Yep - step 1, make sure you're not famished by having a planned afternoon snack. I think one of the main reasons people do this sort of late-afternoon overeating is because they are HUNGRY for dinner. So eat! Step 2, pop some gum to keep you from popping food in your mouth.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Another possibility is to have a cup of veggie soup while making dinner. Or, if you eat a side salad with dinner, try having it instead while you're making dinner. Both of these will also have the side effect of helping you feel full sooner so you eat less at your dinner proper.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #6  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

All of the above are great ideas. I like to have an apple on hand which I cut into many thin slices. I can make it last the entire time I am preparing dinner. Sipping on water also helps.

Last edited by time2lose; 05-20-2009 at 01:39 PM.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 156/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

Hey there! You've gotten some great advice so far. The key for me is planning everything I eat, NO exceptions! When I cook, I won't nibble on some of the ingredients or eat anything until I've cooked the meal and sat down with my plate (like what nelie said). I'm eating pretty much all the time, at least every 2 hours, but every one of those meals or snacks is planned out so I know exactly how much I'm eating. That seems pretty strict, but for me, I need that sort of control over food, otherwise one bite here and there will turn into 2, 3, 4, etc. bites and I'm just not willing to give up the control I have over what I'm putting into my body. You can do it!
TakingCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 270/206/150

Height: 5-4

Thanks for all the advice. I will try the gum thing and have already started trying to have a white tea as soon as I get home.
I guess keeping busy would help too...
I have to say that all the success stories on this website are giving me great hope.
Will keep you updated.
lookingtobehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:15 PM   #9  
Pink

Everything they said...

and, while I'm making dinner and I've finished my snack, I keep my hands busy cleaning the kitchen after the food prep is done. If I stop and sit down while things cook, I'm in big trouble.
InthePINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:32 PM   #10  
me me me

S/C/G: 168/150/120

Height: 5'2"

Tea time!
If I am home at that time, I usually do homemade indian tea (chai) or ginger tea with fat-free milk, and maybe some other small snack - fruit or nuts or multigrain crackers. Then I get to cooking dinner and go about my evening - no need to binge!
s0nali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #11  
Just a fat guy losing it!

S/C/G: 343/312/220

Height: 6'1

I really like the thought of trying gum. Great suggestion.

My toughest time is later evening. I eat 5-6 small meals daily, including evening, but I'm programm4ed to 'graze' in the evenings...
Kootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #12  

I have the exact same problem. I work graveyard and even though I am good all day (night) at work when I get home for some reason I just want to eat, eat, eat. So far I have tried mandating myself only to a serving of oatmeal but I have trouble sticking to that. Gum won't work for me because it actually stimulates my appetite. I have had moderate success with taking a bath and reading or brushing and flossing immediately when I get home because often the feeling of a clean mouth overrides my cravings.
Harbor is offline   Reply With Quote