Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-26-2009, 02:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

Question Calorie Intake -I'm so confused!

I started tracking my calories on livestrong/thedailyplate a week ago. It asked my height and weight and how much I wanted to lose per week.I said I wanted to lose 1.5 pounds a week, so It said my target calorie intake WITHOUT exercise would be below 2100 calories. I thought that was high for trying to lose weight, so I have stuck between 1400 and 1700 everyday.

Today, on another website, it said if I want to get to my goal weight by June 1 of next year, I need to eat between 1200 and 1600 calories.

That is a 500 calorie difference, so now I have no clue what I need to be eating to lose weight. Granted, I believe the second figure does not change until I reach my goal weight, and thedailyplate I have to enter my new weight every week to get another calorie limit.

So what should I do? I have lost 2 pounds this week staying between 1400 and 1700 this week and walk/jogging every night. Should I stay with what I am doing, or should I re-evaluate how many calories I should eat in a day?
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 91/68/65 kg

Height: 172 cm 5ft8

I think you should stay with what you are doing.

Everyone is so different, and you can't figure out the best way by plugging your stats in a calculator (it's a very good measure but not exact).

Obviously what you are doing is working well for you. Its all about trial and error, but this seems to be working for you!
tarryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 05:19 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Yup, stick with what you're doing. It's working for you and it gives you plenty of scope if you get to a point further along when things might slow down a bit.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I would stay with what you're doing. "Those" calculators are only "guesstimates" and are often inaccurate. You and you alone are the only one that can figure out what will provide a loss for you. You do that through careful monitoring of your calories and trial and error.

Were you satisfied with those amount of calories? You had plenty to eat? Nutritious, healthy foods? You weren't hungry? You felt good? AND you had a 2 lb loss? Hopefully, you said yes to all of those questions. If so, yeah, I'd stick with that. You always have time to re-assess down the road.

Do keep in mind though, even if you were to duplicate the same exact type week 3 weeks in a row, you may get 3 different results. That's perfectly normal and okay. Weight loss is not linear and that is to be expected.

Keep up the great work! Just keep at it and you will for sure keep on losing.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for all your help! I have been feeling satisfied at the end of the day, and I have been eating nutritiously. I guess I will keep doing what I am, and not abide by exactly what the calorie counters tell me. I will keep re-evaluating what my body tells me, and if need be, I will adjust my calorie intake. Its amazing how many calories you can eat when you cut out junk. Best thing is, I don't even miss it!
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:06 PM   #6  

I agree to just do what you are doing. If you feel good and are losing anyhitng then its a good thing.
Those counters can be really off.The one at Fitday says according to my height, weight, and exercise routine, I can maintain my weight on 3800 calories per day. Yeah right!! I have to eat less than half that to actually maintain.
Water25 is offline   Reply With Quote