Old 05-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #1  
Getting Started

S/C/G: 275/257/145

Height: 5'6"

Default New here.

Hey everyone. My name is Melissa, and I'm assuming this is the place for me. I just got back on track with Weight Watchers this past Friday at a weight of 263lbs. I'd like to get down to about 160 or so.

Right now that seems so unrealistic. I suppose I should focus on mini goals..like 20 lbs at a time.

I just need help staying on course through the initial frustrations I guess. Being the only person in my home who is dieting can be difficult. This morning my husband and the rest of our family ate McDonald's breakfast, which I LOVE. But I came home and cooked my own. It made me feel good. Like I can stick to this if I try.

But its only week one.
mel hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #2  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Welcome welcome. You CAN stick to this if you try but you really really really need the support of your family. Perhaps they could forgo their McDonalds when you are around, or you can all cook a wonderful breakfast TOGETHER that is diet friendly...

Good luck and I look forward to getting to know you!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:46 PM   #3  
On my way to FIT

S/C/G: 285/298/130

Height: 5'1"

Hi and welcome!

I have my husband's support - but - he's a majorly picky eater and would not change his regular food choices for anyone, not even me. I just wanted to reassure you that it's not impossible to stay on an eating plan while others around you are eating fattening foods! Their choices are their own - and you need to focus on YOUR choices, just like you did today.

That said, do what you can to make your choices easier! I make my husband keep his snacky food in his own cupboard - one I never go into! If I don't "run across it," I won't even think to sneak any.

Best wishes on your journey! Continue to turn to your online peers for support! Good luck!
Eileen2bLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #4  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Welcome!!

You're totally on the right track when you talk about mini-goals. I started out with more than 100 pounds to lose and have already hit 20 pounds lost. It's not my first mini-goal, but it is a great marker that makes me feel like I've really attained something.

Start small and keep going. It works! Good luck!!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

It is not impossible to make good food choices when others are stuffing their faces with your very favourite foods... but it sure makes it a lot harder! IF you CAN get them on board it will help big time!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:12 PM   #6  
Getting Started

S/C/G: 275/257/145

Thanks guys for all the welcomes! We went grocery shopping tonight, and I was able to buy all the healthy stuff I need. So at least I get to be the one preparing dinner.
I'm really excited, and I think having this online support will make it even better!
mel hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:54 PM   #7  
For Him, For Us.

Gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:16 AM   #8  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Hi Mel, well done on making healthy choices in the face of what others were eating! I live alone, so I don't have any support ~ but I don't have any temptation either!

I think you're right about small chunks: not only does it make it more possible to focus on something attainable, rather than the distant big picture, it really lifts the spirits if you can count off the number of targets reached.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #9  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Welcome! Glad you're here!

I'd break it down even further. Go for a smaller goal, like 5 or 10 pounds at a time. You can lose 10 pounds 10 times and get the same result as 100 pounds one time! It just helps to have little victories!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #10  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Welcome, Mel!

If your family insists on McDonalds for breakfast, what about having a Fruit and Yogurt Parfait with granola? It's 160 calories and 2 grams of fat. Or if yours serves those fancy coffees, for 80 calories you can have a large (20 oz.) nonfat cappuccino with sugar free vanilla syrup added. While it would be better for them to forgo the greasy stuff there, there are ways to stick to relatively healthy eating and still enjoy the time with your family. Now all of this is with the understanding that if the temptation is too much, then avoid McDonalds all together!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:42 PM   #11  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

welcome
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #12  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

It sure sounds like you are really starting off on the right foot --- no to McDonalds, filling your house with lots of good for you food and joining weight watchers. The pounds of fat that are lurking around your house are in for some real surprises!

I look forward to hearing more about your adventure! Welcome to 100+!

Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Welcome to 3FC.

Not to sound like a food *snob* or anything, but really - does your family need to eat McDonald's on a regular basis as well? I mean that food isn't great for anyone.

My children never had weight issues either. But gosh, they deserve to have healthy foods too. Not just me. Just because they're not overweight (yet) doesn't mean they should be ingesting that garbage.

I am the chief cook and bottle-washer at my home. They will eat what I serve them (and they'd better like it too, just kidding). But really, the foods that I eat now are DELICIOUS and can (& should) be eaten by everyone and anyone. My guests swoon over the foods that I serve them. They get great tasting food, that just happens to be healthy. They don't even realize that it's "diet" friendly, until of course they realize that I'm the one that's serving it, so it must be.

So though my family (my kids, not DH so much) didn't need to lose weight, they most certainly have benefited from my healthy lifestyle. They are getting extremely nutrient rich foods, while lower in calories. Isn't that what we want for our families?

This is no "diet" their mother is on. She's just revamped the menu in the house. Permanently. I am extremely proud of how I serve my family. They get the very best foods that there is on the planet. Granted, I do supplement them from time to time with things that I don't eat, but they DO eat 95% or better of the very same foods that I do. AND THEY LOVE IT!!! They tell me all the time they can't believe just how varied and delicious the foods that I serve them is.

Quote:
We went grocery shopping tonight, and I was able to buy all the healthy stuff I need. So at least I get to be the one preparing dinner.
I'm really excited
I am thrilled that you have stocked up on healthy foods. That is the start. It may take time for everyone to get used to it, but get used to it, they will. I also ADORE how you are excited about it. I felt the same way. I still do. It's exciting to know that you are making a change for the better that will affect you and your entire family. Be creative. Enjoy and embrace this lifestyle. For it's a lovely way to live.

I look forward to hearing of your success.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-25-2009 at 03:45 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #14  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 311/Ticker/175

Height: 5'6''

Welcome and you should be proud of yourself for making the good decisions you have made so far! I would like to second what rockinrobin was saying, this is not a diet, it really is a lifestyle if you wish to lose weight and keep it off. Everyone in the family will benefit from a healthier way of eating. This doesn't mean it is all plain boring food all the time, on the contrary it opens up a whole new way of looking at flavors. When you cook healthy you supplement with spices to get yummy flavors. Definitely check out the recipes on the site, there are some amazing ones!
Gekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 05:30 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekster View Post
This doesn't mean it is all plain boring food all the time, on the contrary it opens up a whole new way of looking at flavors. When you cook healthy you supplement with spices to get yummy flavors. !
Yes!!! Yess!!!! and Yesssss!!!!

We are without a doubt eating tastier fare then ever. No question about it.

Healthy food does not equal tasteless, boring food, yucky food.
Healthy food is SCRUMPTOUS!!!!!!!!!!! I am using so many spices that I never even heard of before. I am using different veggies and methods of cooking them.

When I first started this, was that I was willing to give up "those foods", but I was not willing to eat "bad tasting, bland and boring foods". I am a true foodie and I need to get great flavor and palette pleasing flavors from each and every thing that goes down my mouth. Giving up "those foods", was an awakening. It freed me up to a whole new world of wonderful tastes. I discovered waaaay better things. Once I stopped eating garbage, my tastebuds became alive and now I really appreciate fine food.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote