Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-21-2009, 06:45 PM   #1  
Pertnear Domestic Goddess

S/C/G: 250/133/125 RNY5/11/09

Height: 5'3

Question What am I doing wrong ?

It hasn't even been 2 weeks yet and I've already stalled. Now granted I lost 9 pds on the liquid pre-op diet but for the last 4 days I've haven't lost. I weigh everyother day which I know I shouldn't. Also have just started feeling well enough to walk outside, I do half mile in morning and in the evening and I'm taking my vitamins and calcium.

This has been fairly typical for a days intake

AM
4oz adkins shake
3oz puree bean soup w/protien powder

NOON
3oz puree potatoe soup w/PP

EVENING
3oz puree bean soup w/pp
4oz adkins shake

and through out the day I'm getting in 33oz of water.

The only thing I can think of I'm not getting enough water maybe I should take sipps on my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Any insight anyone can give I would greatly appreciate it
GinaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/185/140

Height: 5'3"

I am new here so I don't know what kind of surgery you had.....but, if you already think you are having some sort of plateau in only two weeks I think you are getting on the scale too often. Be patient.
keward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:32 PM   #3  

You can't say you are on a plateau until you have remained the same weight for 6 weeks so I think the advice to get off the scale is what you should do.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #4  
Excited about my new life

S/C/G: 348/256/190

Height: 5'8"

Likewise Gina, get off the scale. You sound like me. I was so anxious about losing weight the nurse at my Dr. offc had to remind me that its a tool and I didn't hit almost 350 over night. It does still take time. Continue walking and drinking water you will see the results before you know it.
worthylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #5  

Thanks guys I know your right, Im gonna try getting just once a week or I drive myself nuts
Old 05-22-2009, 07:24 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Been there, done that!!!! The scale is not your friend right now. You CAN NOT lose if you are following your plan (looks like it). Here is my advise....take your scale, put it in the back of your closet and shut the door! You might not be losing weight, but your body is adjusting, and you can still go down sizes. Happened to me all the time. You didn't get heavy in two weeks and don't think you are going to lose it in two weeks. LOL!!!! Eat your protein, drinks your water and move and you WILL lose weight.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:49 PM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Agreed.... relax, be patient and concentrate on healing. The first 6 weeks after surgery should not be about weight loss, it should be about getting your innard back to normal (well you know what I mean lol). Its after the 6 weeks when your doctor says ok, now your on solid foods and now you can exercise.... thats when you should keep your eye on the scale... but not every day

Take your time sweetie.... just tell yourself its not a race

(I do understand how you feel though, we all do)

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:15 PM   #8  

Default Normal

This should be absolutely EXPECTED.
It is normal.
Plateaus are normal period.
*stefani* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:40 PM   #9  
Old Cackler

Hi Gina -

what they said.

and a couple of other Qs. are you hitting your protein goals? how many grams of carbs are you eating? while bean soup is a good source of protein, it also has CARBS in it - so just check the numbers and WRITE IT DOWN [and this from a woman who DUMPED on lentil soup - too many carbs for me at that time!]

right after surgery and for 18 months afterwards, i wrote down my protein grams, carb grams, and water on a sticky note. they were ALL OVER MY DESK [heaven forbid that i throw anything away!!!!]

just to keep myself on track.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #10  

Hi Jiffy

I'm just trying to get my water and protien req. in never even thought about carbs as far as dumping I have only found 1 thing so far and it was tomatoe soup healthy request.

The walking has seemed to got me back on track and Im losing again, but I will start looking at my carb intake thanks
Old 05-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #11  

S/C/G: (324/238/175) New 310/310/200

Height: 5'5"

Contrary to advice given by these wonderful people, I weigh myself everyday. I don't expect to lose everyday, but I want to make sure I'm not gaining. Before my cancer treatment, I would usually fluctuate 2 or 3 pounds. I'd hit a new low, gain a few in a day or two, then eventually go back to the low.

bout 2 weeks after my lapband, I plateaued after about 2 weeks. but I lost inches. I'm just coming off a 2 1/2 month plateau but I lost some inches during that time too. It was discouraging but once i decided I needed to get more serious about my program, it helped. You can't control how your body loses weight. All you can do is follow your plan and be patient. If you do the right things, it will happen.

Best wishes. Keep loving yourself.
merryterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I actually had to lock my scale in the trunk of my car. Eventually I lost my obsession and brought back in the house.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 12:47 AM   #13  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Take you measurements!! It's good to have for posterity sake and a great thing to use as an alternative way to see your progress!

Now, maybe it's not everyday but I do weigh myself regularly for the accountability but, as Terry said, without the expectation that I am going to Always lose. The body fluctuates so much!

Glad it all worked out for you honey, and you are heading back down! Next time the scale doesn't move and you are following your Dr's Plan to the letter...get out the measuring tape, drink as much water as you can, get your protein in, take or eat fiber for "regularity" and walk, walk, walk. It works...even now that I am 15 months out!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 05-25-2009 at 12:49 AM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote