General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-23-2009, 07:58 PM   #1  
Depressed

S/C/G: 188/185/129

Height: 5'9"

Question The Red Meat chew & spit

ok, I brought this up in another thread so here it is for discussion itself.

My mom still tells a story of a woman who was on a diet but (I guess) couldn't give up red meat (steak). Her doctor told her what she could do for her weightloss efforts was to chew the steak in order to get what's good for you from the meat but when you hit the point where you're ready to swallow you spit it out instead and this will be better for your body because it doesn't have to digest the actual fat and meat and you don't get the clogged arteries and all that other horrible stuff that happens when we actually eat food.

Have any of you tried this method?
I've been considering this myself (with the exception of doing it at restaraunts on with exceptionally good cuts of steak, which let's face it we don't eat an exceptional cut "every" time we eat steak, at least not most of us, I eat steak so often that I certainly don't get the best cuts 'every' time).

Thoughts, arguments, result stories, etc.?:
baby phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:04 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I have never heard of anyone trying that. I don't think I actually could either. I mean if we eat things like this in moderation, I see no harm in actually eating and digesting the food. It's all about moderation.

Last edited by Smiling_Sara; 05-23-2009 at 09:05 PM.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:07 PM   #3  
addicted.

S/C/G: 270/270/150

Height: 5'7"

I believe this is considered as part of eating disorders.

eta: just meaning that depending on the person, it could lead to worse things.

Last edited by Cinnamon; 05-23-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #4  

You would still be getting some of the food value from the meat. As you chew tiny particles and fluids and mixed with silva and swallowed. All red meat is not terrible. You have some nutrients that are only available in red meat.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Dolly Pardon use to say she did that with cookies
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #6  

Height: 5'11"

There is a television show about addiction called "Intervention" and they featured a woman who did this. It was gross. She carried around a cup and would spit all her chewed-up food into it.

I have cut way back on red meat, but if I'm going to spend good money on a steak, I'm going to eat it!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

That is gross and sounds mighty close to an eating disorder. Spit it out or throw it up ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
There is a television show about addiction called "Intervention" and they featured a woman who did this. It was gross. She carried around a cup and would spit all her chewed-up food into it.

I have cut way back on red meat, but if I'm going to spend good money on a steak, I'm going to eat it!
That is EXACTLY the image that came to mind when I read this.... exactly the same show with the girl carrying around her spit cup. Sorry, it turns my stomach, and I think it goes to show not to believe everything every doctor says.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:23 PM   #9  

Yeah, it's a stomach-turning thing and she did it in public, proudly as if it were a good thing. It was weird and strange. To the OP--if you want red meat, just have a very small serving and EAT it. There are easier and healthier ways to lose weight than flirting with eating disorder behavior.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #10  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

To me it seems like such a huge waste of money. If I am going to buy something I am going to eat it. Not spit it out.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:45 PM   #11  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've done this, and it was during a disordered eating phase of my life. I wouldn't recommend it, because disordered eating patterns do tend to spiral.

I don't do "slab o' meat," eating very often, despite trying to eat relatively low-carb. When I'm eating the way that I feel the best, and lose the best - Volume-wise, I'm eating mostly non-starchy vegetables. Calorie-wise, most of my calories probably do come from protein sources, but that doesn't mean only, or even primarily red meat.

I've never been much of a fish fan (it was ok, but I only liked rather fatty preparation methods). Then I married my Wisconsinite husband and we moved to WI, and I tasted really good fish. My absolute favorite is the spicy tilapia at a local thai restaurant. The owner (and only main cook) and I have become friends, and she knows that I am trying to lose weight. She's very tiny and has lost 40 lbs herself (on WW, I think), so she will gear me towards lighter dishes, or will adapt them for me. She suggested, for example that in the viatnamese soft spring-rolls (not fried) she could substitute bean sprouts for some or all of the rice noodles.

At home, I also "dilute" my ground beef, by mixing it with dry, granulated tvp (textured vegetable protein, sometimes called tsp or textured soy protein). I brown the two together with onion, garlic and other seasonings and then add water or broth to reconstitute the tvp. It still tastes like ground beef (and is even die-hard meat-eater hubby -approved).

Last edited by kaplods; 05-24-2009 at 12:07 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:21 PM   #12  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

I don't get why you would bother. I still eat meat -- red meat and steak and ground beef and fairly often -- and am still losing. Doesn't seem worth the ick factor and well, it just seems like something you shouldn't do.

I'd say get lean cuts of red meat and don't go overboard with quantity or seasoning, including sugary BBQ sauce.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:30 AM   #13  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

It was big in Victorian times, I've seen a documentary on it. I certainly couldn't do it in public, ewwww, and I agree, I'd rather buy a small bit and eat it!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 02:41 AM   #14  
keto on

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Height: 5'4"

I've never done that and I've only seen shows on TV talking about eating disorders where people did this. It just seems gross to me... :/ I'd rather eat my steak and do extra exercise than spit it out
divinechaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #15  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

Yuck
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote