Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #1  
Just call me Lani ;)

S/C/G: 220/220/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Bit of a ladies only question!

So, it's my "time" at the moment and obviously there's a little water retention (which fortunately I dont get too badly) but I seem to get a couple of days where I feel like I've eaten the entire house!

For example today, I've had oatmeal for breakfast, tuna salad and strawberries for lunch and home made chicken soup for dinner; with this I also had 3 home made oat and apricot cookies (Low GI recipe), carrot and celery sticks with houmous dip and a slice of chocolate banana loaf (another Low GI recipe).

Anyone else feel extra hungry around this time and how on earth do you stop yourself eating too much?
Mahina Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

OMG yes- I am STARVING around those times, I actually normally eat about 1600 calories a day, those days I allow myself a little more- up to 1800. Like I usually crave pb and J around that time so I have half a sandwich with pb and j and one glass of milk, if I don't I can't function.

I remember reading once somewhere that women need a few extra calories during their period- don't know if it's true or not- can't find concrete information- but I mean I figure since it's only those few days I'll have that tiny bit more of calories

I mean as long as you aren't pigging out on chips and candy I think you are fine.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

From what I've read you burn about 500 more calories during your luteal phase (the time after ovulation and when you start.) I haven't heard that you burn more during your period though.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 286/157 (briefly) 170-180ish

Height: 5"9

I find I can gain as much as 4lbs...but I think a big thing is to overload on water, weirdly drinking extra helps combat retention.
I try to load up on extra veggies, like a huge bowl of mixed green veggies stir fried!
Ellie R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #5  
Junior chick

S/C/G: 228/187/140

Height: 5'6

Yeah, it's awful. I usually spot myself another 2-300 calories per day during those times. I also try very hard to stay away from food in general on those days 'cuz if you get me near something (family, friends, small cars, pets) I may eat it. Seriously, I do avoid the kitchen...have been known to put 3 chairs across the kitchen opening and ban myself that way.
Peep Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:44 PM   #6  
Junior chick

BTW, on the WeightWatchers site they have a very interesting article on calories and having periods...visit Google, do a search for calories menstruation and you'll see their link...think it's second one down.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

I just get really hungry 4 days before. Not during. I generally feel really good during.
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 148/139/130

Height: 5'7"

I go crazy with hunger the week before, but once it starts, I'm home free. I mostly have the desire to eat, instead of actual cravings, so I'll munch on carrots or any crunchy vegetable just to keep my mouth busy.
StarCarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 12:42 AM   #9  
video game junkie

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Red meat and carbs.

If I don't get my Outback special a few days prior (aka juicy sirloin, baked potato, bread, broccoli and a Patron Margarita), the PMS will kill me.. or technically.. anyone in my path

Thank goodness for Flex points.

Last edited by Lissus; 05-22-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Lissus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 01:02 AM   #10  

YES YES YES!!!
I never noticed it until I got serious about losing weight, I guess before I just ate more, but now...
I have at least 2 days when I want to eat the world. And I mean, it physically hurts I get so hungry. And here I was berating myself for being a wimp and a weenie for it, thinking it was all just between my ears, feeling deprived etc.
thanks for bringing up the subject!
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

You need meat. Cook yourself a nice roast a couple of days before your hungry time starts, and you'll have something great to snack on.
MonteCristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #12  
Just call me Lani ;)

S/C/G: 220/220/150

Height: 5'4"

Peep your reply made me giggle so much I snorted!

Ahh, I'm so glad it's not just me. I actually thought the same as you, dutchgirl; that it was just "in my head" but when my stomach actually starts growling and hurting where I'm hungry...

I didn't realize eating a bit more meat would help - is it just meat or protein in general?
I wish I could have the carbs, but I'm such an addict for them if I start I won't stop!

I wish I could ban myself from the kitchen, but until the end of the month (when OH and I move) I'm in a studio apartment...My kitchen is in the room I'm in all the time!!

Last edited by Mahina Lani; 05-22-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Mahina Lani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

I think its iron your body requires.

I found this cute wiki question: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_t...f_menstruation

facts and myths of menstruation.. some of thee are funny
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 07:30 PM   #14  
Junior chick

I'm 47...this should all be over in a couple of years. I just gotta hang on for a couple of years. Please God, just two or three more years. I HATE T.O.M.!!! HATE HATE HATE.
I feel better now.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:11 AM   #15  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

PMS - and I eat small children...well technically I could. About a week before - along with emotion and being a complete witch I want to eat everything. Next month I am going to keep myself as occupied as possible and drink a ton of water. Oh and I gain up to 8 pounds. So no going near the scale during that time!
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote