Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/204/190

Height: 5'4

Default Cappuccino?

Do you allow yourself things like coffee's or Cappuccino? I recently started allowing myself a serving of Italian Cappuccino, had one each day the past 3 days. But I am feeling extremly guilty about it and wondering if it may be a bad idea. It says that it has only 50 calories in a serving (thats what I count) and does not seem overal that bad. As long as I keep it as a serving (actually its a serving and half because thats what the directions call for, funny how they mess with us like that). I have been so strick this entire weightloss, not even allowing a slice of cake or anything on special ocassions (my birthday on Tuesday was the first year I went without cake lol, but it was ok). I'm worried drinking this simple cup of Cappuccino could really mess with my weightloss. I have acomplished too much to have it all taken away just because something tastes good.

Keep in mind this is just some instant stuff I got from the grocery store lol. It's nothing fancy thats loaded with milk , cream and whatever.

Last edited by x0me880x; 05-21-2009 at 08:40 PM.
x0me880x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Of course, it's up to you! 75 calories doesn't sound bad to me, so why feel guilty about it? It's a low cal snack, as long as you don't add stuff.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 05-21-2009 at 08:53 PM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/204/190

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Of course, it's up to you! 75 calories doesn't sound bad to me, so why feel guilty about it? It's a low cal snack, as long as you don't add stuff.

Jay
I've never allowed myself "snacks". I have been living by the whole only eat to live mindset. Not for taste. I think thats why I feel guilty. I am worried that if I do allow myself a snack, that it will be way too easy to get back into my old ways.
x0me880x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #4  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0me880x View Post
I've never allowed myself "snacks". I have been living by the whole only eat to live mindset. Not for taste. I think thats why I feel guilty. I am worried that if I do allow myself a snack, that it will be way too easy to get back into my old ways.
Food tastes good. Food feels pleasant in the mouth and in the stomach. Also, there are lots of kinds of food that provide positive benefit to your body. (Coffee may be one of those things, in fact.) So, there is nothing wrong with enjoying food. You are not bad or morally wrong for enjoying a cappuccino, so there is nothing to feel guilty about.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:16 PM   #5  

I love coffee with cream, Stevia, and another sweetner I can't remember the name of but I love it in the mornings. I also get a frappachino during the day. Now, here's the rub, it makes me less hungry so I eat less but it may be what is keeping me fat. Don't know. I eat less but drink more coffee and additives.
grabec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 09:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 311/285.2/135

Height: 5'8"

I have a latte sometimes. I make it at home with light soy milk. The soy milk gives me calcium, omega 3 fatty acids, and soy isoflavanoids. I use decaf espresso. I sweeten it with a little bit of Splenda. I figure its pretty healthy.

You've come a long way on what you are doing. Congratulations! For me though, I have to have things I like or I won't stick to anything for any length of time. I try to reach a compromise between eating healthy and having things I like. I used to go to a local coffee shop and get a large hazelnut latte with whole milk. What I'm doing now I think is healthy and enjoyable.
Qualera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 152/141/132

Height: 5.4

You have to live a bit. I cannot go without my capuccino every day. A grande at starbucks with skim and sugarfree vanilla comes in at about 100 or 150 calories max depending on the barista.... otherwise I get all bitter and twisted. If you are not doing a strict atkins diet there is no reason you shouldn't have it...
linniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 06:51 AM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Every creature on this planet is wired so that its food tastes good! Even flies that eat... well, you know... consider it yummy!

So using the "eat to live" philosophy doesn't have to mean being puritanical about it. It doesn't have to mean only eating at certain times and never enjoying anything you eat. I think it means not abusing food by overeating, or by eating foods that are unhealthy even though they may taste good.

If you need strict rules, you can make them--to keep yourself in check. But I'd say, that little cappucino can fit in those rules, especially if it helps you stay with your plan.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 05-22-2009 at 06:52 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:02 AM   #9  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Yummm, treats! I have them every day, they are built into my plan. I would NOT be happy if I didn't get my sweet fix somewhere! I just try to make them reasonably healthy treats. But, I'll even have a not-healthy treat sometimes. I just log it, and count the calories, and there you go.

Some of my favorites:
Starbucks grande skinny latte - skim milk, expresso, and sugar free syrup (80 calories)
sugar-free Jello rice pudding (70 calories)
2 cups of strawberries with sugar-free strawberry glaze (120 calories)
nonfat, sugar free yogurt (any flavor) mixed with PB2 powdered peanut butter OR 2 TBS flax seed meal (160 calories)
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:24 AM   #10  
Night Shift chickie!

S/C/G: 189/159.6/150

Height: 5'6

I couldnt live without my morning coffee. my cup of joe used to clock in at 50 cals a cup, just like you. but as long as a wrote it down i didnt worry about it too much. but i didnt like being restricted to only 2 cups for a day, so i switched to sugar free syrup and ff half and half. now my cup is only 20 cals. yay! if you enjoy your daily cap and work it into your daily calories, why not have it? at the end of the day its calories in vs calories out. im no expert but i dont think its going to kill your weight loss.
sassybangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:06 AM   #11  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

I drink coffee every day, with lots of milk. My coffee is decaf and sometimes I allow myself another cup of coffee in the office in the afternoon (which is regular coffee). At work, because we have one of those machines that uses prepackaged coffee packets (Flavia, similar to the Tassimo thing - a terrible environmental impact IMHO) where I don't have control over how strong I want the coffee (actually, that would be how WEAK I want the coffee in my case) so I usually add two creamers with Half & Half and about 7 creamers of 2% coffee.

What can I say - I like a bit of coffee in my milk.

About once a month or so I buy the flavoured liquid coffee sweetener - I think those have about 35 cals per tablespoon - not sure and I don't care as I don't count calories. But sometimes I simply like a bit sweeter coffee, at other times I am happy with unsweetened (but always with lots of milk).
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/168/165

Height: 5'8"

Oh, I so hope you can get over feeling guilty about your little treat. The joy of calorie counting is that you can enjoy almost anything in moderation, which in my opinion, is just the way life should be. Of course eat to fuel your body, but you can treat it as well. I just had a birthday, I bought the most chocolaty chocolate cake I could find and some Ice cream. I ate 1 piece with 1 scoop of ice cream it was AWESOME. I can't imagine living my life with out the food I enjoy. I just have learn I can't eat it everyday all day.
willow650 is offline   Reply With Quote