Old 05-20-2009, 09:47 PM   #1  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Default OK, so I only thought this happened in the MOVIES...

Hi all!
As you know, I am travelling and visiting my perogie-loving, cabbage-roll making, and chocolate-chiffon-eating parents for the week. So to keep motivated, I thought I'd go shopping at the main center downtown.

I wound up in a swish store, and thought I'd try on a size 14 dress, just to see if it fit and to motivate me to work really hard not to pig out on this trip. The dress was beautiful -- orange, fitted waist, designer, outrageously expensive -- completely out of my comfort zone. So I tried it on.

I slipped this $500 dress over my head, and zipped up the side zipper. Well, I had to contort my left arm to get the zipper, and in the process, my underarm flab FLOPPED over and GOT CAUGHT. Yup, I literally zippered my ARM right into the DRESS. Now, you see guys do this with their flys all the time in movies and you think that this is hilarious. And it IS. And you never think that you could zip part of yourself into a zipper. But there I am, STUCK, with my UNDERARM FLABBLE IN and I mean IN the ZIPPER. So I pull on the zipper outwards, and my arm flabble FOLLOWS. I am TRULY. STUCK. So I try to zip UP (because I didn't know if I caught my flabble while zipping up OR if I caught it on a down-zip when trying to close it) and it just catches MORE FLABBLE!!!!

SO, being brave, I count to THREE and YANK DOWN HARD on the zipper. It comes free, along with a chunk of my skin! And, MAN did it HURT. So I look down, and I am now BLEEDING all into the armpit of this dress!!!!!!

I struggle OUT of the dress, keeping one finger on my bleeding pock mark so as not to further damage this beautiful dress, and I had no IDEA what to do.

So I changed, and went out and hung the dress back on the rack and ran out of the store.

I didn't know WHAT to do -- I didn't want to tell the sales staff ("um, I was trying on a dress out of curiosity and I zipped my flabble into the zipper and had to pull really hard and now there's blood all over your designer dress...sorry...") and I couldn't afford to buy it! What was I THINKING???

Y'all have every right to call me out on this one...sigh...

Stupid zippers...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 05-20-2009 at 09:49 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #2  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Kiramira, you need a hug! (((((((((((((((Kiramira)))))))))))))))))
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #3  
Linda

Height: 5'0"

OMG!!!!!!
That is a HORRIBLE story (and ever so slightly funny)!!
I'm SO sorry that it happened to you!

But you know what?? I think I might have done the EXACT same thing! I can't afford a $50.00 dress, let alone a $500.00 one..

I wonder if retail stores have coverage for such things??

Anyway, I was both enthralled and horrified by your story, and just needed to send you some LOVE!

Linda
famograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:12 PM   #4  
Workin' It

Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:37 PM   #5  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #6  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Oh gosh girlie...I would have totally run out of the store!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 205/159/140

Height: 5'7"

haha I would have done the exact same! so your good to go=D
Lovely91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:06 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

awwwwah {{{Kira}}} glad you are ok and didn't rip off too much skin or really get hurt. heheh... I've gotten stuck in dresses and tops before, sheesh... trying to pull them off without damaging them, I thought that only happened to me.

I guess that's a problem when we start losing weight, we aren't sure what size we are exactly in certain stores and brands. I don't try things on just to see where I'm at weightloss wise anymore unless I'm really more sure it will fit.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Oh no, I'm so sorry! I would have totally left too! There's no way I could buy a $500 dress!

I have gotten stuck before too, I hate it when that happens!
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:27 PM   #10  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Just so you know, that sort of thing is expected to happen. Well, maybe not the gushing blood all over the dressing room, but clothing stores do allow for changing room disasters like busted zippers and ripped-out seams. They'll either send the dress back to the wholesalers as damaged or they'll sell it for pennies on the dollar to an employee, who will then get it dry-cleaned and have a new zipper put in.

I know this because, years ago, my SIL's mom and sister worked for an upscale department store in the Kansas City area. SIL's sister once scored a denim skirt for 75 cents simply because the zipper was busted. She sewed in a new zipper. Voila! - A brand-new $40 skirt for less than $5.

Last edited by Jennelle; 05-20-2009 at 11:27 PM.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

I am really sorry this happened to you, could see it happening to me too! You did the right thing. What else could you have done? No one is going to loose their job. I'm sure that clothes are damaged all the time.
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #12  
1 day at a time!

S/C/G: 276/264/146

Height: 5'9"

Kira - don't worry - ! I got stuck trying on a swimsuit once (I told the salesgirl it wouldn't fit me - she insisted it was 'stretchy' enough). I ended up tearing quite a few stitches trying to get it off my hips.

All I could do is quickly change into my clothes, hang it back up and leave! I've never been back in that shop since. I felt really bad at first but stores expect damages. I cannot recount how many times I have bought something white and it had a few stains - I just insisted on a big discount!
emmalee51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:26 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 279/236/140

Arrow

Hope your arm is okay.
whispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:30 AM   #14  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Flabble. So THAT'S what it is called.