Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-21-2009, 01:53 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default I think I figured out.... *help*

.... why I'm tempted to eat too much since yesterday (Tuesday): I'm meeting old friends at Seattle's folklife festival this weekend from college that I haven't seen in several years; they know I've been losing weight.

It's the compliments in part that I'm getting all anxious about since for me (due to bad family experiences), weight loss compliments cause a serious urge for me to overeat and put the weight back on so the attention will STOP!

I also didn't have a good exercise session today, even though I stuck it out for the hour on the elliptical & an hour at weight resistance training-- which makes me feel even more nervous about this event and any weight loss/gain this week.

I'm also nervous about eating in Seattle. I've decided that since there's a good chance the only realistic aerobic activity I may end up getting is a simple stroll around the city/fairgrounds... so I'm thinking I should reduce my caloric intake to 1,200-1,300 since my regular gym routine is out the window from tomorrow (Thursday) to Memorial Day Monday. .

I am nervous about all this. I hate the disruption in my food/exercise schedule and the uncertainty of it all... not knowing how many calories are in a meal that I don't make at home and having to rely on estimates/calorie book instead. I also hate the limited options of aerobic exercise (and I don't even know if the hotel has a gym or even weight lifting options available ).

So even if I only have access to a treadmill or walk outside in the mornings, I think I better keep my caloric intake as low as I can since I'll have to rely on my CalorieKing book for estimates from the food stands/restaurants in the Seattle area

I just don't want to gain any weight. I want to keep losing weight and have a good time.

My eating goals are to find/eat lean poultry & veggies & eggs as my meals & buy some fruit from the grocery store down a block from my hotel as daily snacks so I'm not tempted to eat crap between meals while I'm in Seattle.

Don't events like this freak you out weight-loss wise?

tea
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:08 AM   #2  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Tea, I understand your anxiety. But this weekend is not about food or exercise. It's about getting out there in life and enjoying your friends and new experiences. Focus on that rather than the food and lack of exercise. Relax! Just make the best choices you can in the moment. You'll be back on track Tuesday.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:20 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Don't events like this freak you out weight-loss wise?
Yup. Especially in the beginning. Being out of my safe haven was a scary thought. But heck, I didn't lose all this weight to sit home and not enjoy my life and be social and active.

Quote:
My eating goals are to find/eat lean poultry & veggies & eggs as my meals & buy some fruit from the grocery store down a block from my hotel as daily snacks so I'm not tempted to eat crap between meals while I'm in Seattle.
You have a good plan in place. I do something similar when I travel.

I know the first time I went away with friends to a hotel, I was SO overjoyed being there and NOT being morbidly obese, that the tempting foods, were not all that tempting. I think you will find it the same.

It's funny, because in the past, when I went away, food was one of the main things that I looked forward to. I didn't have much else. But having lost the weight, that was the furthest thing from my mind. I was just so happy to wear gorgeous clothes, hang out with my friends, swim, walk and do all that "normal" stuff that I always felt so self conscious about when I was morbidly obese.

Go and have a fantastic time. Don't stress so much about the food. Enjoy those friends of yours in that new body of yours. You'll see though that you will get through this and then you'll have much more confidence and won't be quite as nervous the next time something like this occurs.

You're going to have a great time, get through it just fine and wonder why you were so nervous.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:45 AM   #4  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

You need to chill out woman. A weekend with friends will not destroy all your hard work. My first weekend "out" came about after 85 pounds lost and I just took a bag-o goodies, reduced my calories for a few days before to stock pile some extra "fun" calories, and had a BLAST. You are missing out on the fun things in life by *STILL* obsessing over food. It's just a different kind of obsession.

Oh...and maybe your friends won't compliment you. I have a few friends that have NEVER once said anything about my weight loss. It's like they have never noticed. Maybe your friends will be like that...
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I used to very much freak out about these events, but like others said, I lost weight in part to ENJOY life. So, you're going to need to find the balance eventually! Have a good time!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:47 AM   #6  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

tea, Seattle's a very health-conscious area. There will be good choices! You have a solid plan, you know how to do this, and YOU WILL BE FINE!!!! Family's always fascinating - vow to be amused instead of annoyed! Imagine that you are a social scientist and try to figure out what they've been through that makes them act the way they do. Enjoy the differences and know that no matter what, YOU CHOOSE HOW TO REACT. Find a cool little coffee bar/Internet cafe and check in with us if you need to!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #7  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

What Heather said.
Relax and enjoy! Even though we are committed to exercise and clean eating, it's equally important to find the time to relax a little and smell the roses.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:58 AM   #8  

Height: 5'11"

Seattle has some REALLY hilly areas, so you could turn your walk/stroll around into a true workout if you really felt the need. It sounds like you've got a good plan in place: Having healthy snacks at the hotel, exercise equipment, checking out menus online--you've got it under control!

Let your friends tell you that you look great (cuz it's true!), but if they try to keep gushing on and on about it, let them know that makes you uncomfortable. Also--map out a route to Pike Place Market. I don't know if you and your friends have been to Seattle, but that's a fun place to go. They sell lots of produce there (more healthy snacks!), hippy-chic clothing, and you can watch the guys throw salmon. (Hey, we're easily entertained in the northwest).

HAVE FUN!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #9  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

Yes, I can relate. But you got lots of great advice.
Congrats on figuring it out and have fun!
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:28 AM   #10  

Hi guys!

I've already been starting in "vacation mode" .... meaning today I took a friend of mine I picked up from the airport yesterday and we spent over an hour walking several miles from my city's Japanese gardens to the mall downtown where we caught a movie (and bought no junk food save bottled water) and enjoyed ourselves before driving up to Seattle tomorrow.

I've been doing fine on the food front so far in going out to eat and stuff by ordering grilled/baked chicken (no skin & no butter) and plain, steamed veggies last night at a restaurant for instance.

windchime-- I'm also from the northwest part of the US I've been to Seattle many times over the years And I've also seen the men throw the fish (BIG ones!) at Pike's Market

I think my post in the beginning was pre-vacation jitters since I haven't taken a "real" vacation since before losing 133 lbs (to date) and I've seen so many people here on this forum unfortunately succumb to temptation and overate or ate junk food on vacation, etc etc.

My friends and I have come up with some cool ideas for Seattle: do walking spurts throughout the day so we get benefits but it "doesn't" feel like exercising like on a treadmill for an hour or so, ya know? But even if that doesn't work, I'm just going to eat less-- as in "maintenance" mode for the couple of days we're in Seattle!

Thanks everyone for your support!

~ tea
Old 05-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #11  

Tea--Once you said "Japanese Gardens" and "driving up to Seattle", I figured that you were from around here! Hello, neighbor! The fish throwing thing is fun, even for those of us who have seen it many times. I am 2 hours east of Seattle, so I don't get there as often as I would like but I still like to go to the Market when I go to downtown Seattle.

Sounds like you're handling your vacation well and I hope you have fun. It's supposed to be a beautiful weekend!
Old 05-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #12  
In the Home Stretch!

S/C/G: See Tracker

Ditto to what all the other ladies have said. I just got back from vacation on Tues, gained 5lbs, lost 3 already. Vacations don't give you an excuse to go bananas but you have to enjoy yourself! It's all about finding balance. I think you have a good plan, stop stressing, and enjoy!
daniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:04 PM   #13  

Will do everyone!!

Hi Windchime! Hello neighbor! Yep, I'm three hours south of Seattle, which should give you an idea of which city I'm from

The weather's lovely today!

Will post of my experiences in Seattle soon!

Thanks again everyone!!

~ tea

Last edited by teawithsunshine; 05-22-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by teawithsunshine View Post
Will do everyone!!

Hi Windchime! Hello neighbor! Yep, I'm three hours south of Seattle, which should give you an idea of which city I'm from
Yep, that's where I thought! Lovely place!