Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 05-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #1  
Searching

Thumbs down I need to talk about the food and the emotions

I feel powerless. Not in that sort of good way where I have turned my life over to God for the day and I am letting Him handle it. I feel powerless in that creeping low lying depression type way.

I have felt this way for a couple of days. When my guy asks me whats on my mind I tell him, I don't know, and last night he says to me, "That's crap". But if you know what it is to have your emotions running amuck and no concrete thought with them and you just want soothing, sweet soothing food. Yes I want to purge as well, but not as bad as I want the binge.

Making my lunch this morning, food plan already forming in my head. I made such progress last week, and despite a few days of slack I have done no real damage, the scale is telling me 207, still 8 lbs from celebration, but I can live with it.

In goes the guacomole.
Steak sandwich.
Orange.
Candy bar at work.
But I know I will walk at lunch! EFF IT! and I go to Taco Bell where I eat 2 enchiritos and a candy bar when I get back.
I formulate my mind to work and then decide I don't want to do that either.
I blog my pain. No relief.
I lurk here and find a message that I can.

Can I still today?
I think I will try again tommorow.

Last edited by rochemist; 05-19-2009 at 04:29 PM.
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/172/155

Height: 5'6"

Hi there,
i think we all know what you are going through.
just take it one day at a time.
see our just for today thread up top under "Overeaters Anonymous"
that helps me when i'm struggling.

it sounds like you may be a carb addict and as one myself i can offer you the advise: it is best to stay away from carbs, even the so called healthy whole grains!!!!!!! i don't doubt whole grains can be part of a healthy diet for some, but i do best if i eat them sparingly at most.
i eat fruits, berries and lots of fresh greens, but i noticed i feel more in control if i steer clear of grains and starchy carbs. whole or otherwise.

that means lot's of salads, lots of grilled chicken, soups and stews (with no flour or starchy thickeners), eggs and veggies for breakfast, or cheeses. fruits and veggies, beans and lentils. and more cooking than eating out!

also, google probiotics and prebiotics. 2 things that improve your digestion.
as i mentioned to someone else, the Pearls brand probiotics is a good one.

the better you digest your food, the more nutrients your body will absorb. the more satisfied you will feel, and the better you will feel emotionally and mentally too. it is all related.

for some people who don't digest grains well, they throw off the balance of good bacteria in our gut. as do processed foods and fast food. Eat as mush whole fresh foods as possible, and try to reestablish the good bacteria in your digestive system and i think you will find you feel much better.

it is working for me, and i have much more energy too.

hth,
kb.
kaebea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:07 PM   #3  

Unhappy Thanks

Thank you, both, for your posts today.

I'm feeling the same way. Each day, I get up and think that I can do it today. Then there's breakfast, toast with cheese. Lunch, a large salad. Then it really begins. I start to graze, slowly at first, a piece of cheese, some bread, a bowl of cereal, more bread and cheese, left over something in the fridge. Dinner time rolls around and I'm full. But I eat a full dinner anyway. Then it's some chips while I read or watch a movie . . .

I'm in a panic. I weigh 250 pounds, more than I've ever weighed in my life. I work out 2 to 3 times a week, so I'm not sedentary, but the need to eat is overwhelming.

I will reread what you wrote and consider limiting my bread and pasta. Maybe that will help.

I'm terrified that I will never take this weight off and end up killing myself via heart disease and diabetes, or at best, becoming a burden to my family because i won't be able to get around or I'll need hospitalization.

what keeps you motivated?
lisab222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #4  

Hi lisab,

what keeps me motivated is that i know i will be not be happy unless I overcome this problem.
I'm far from my goal in terms of my wieght. But after years and years of starting over and starting over, i had to take a different approach. i put my focus on healing and feeling better. I now get more rest, that was a big one. i quit beating myself up for imperfection in dieting. I quit trying to eat the perfect wieght loss diet and instead experimented with food and suppliments until i found a system of my own that makes me feel better.

what that has turned out to be is more meat (fresh or frozen, store bought and cooked at home, organic when possible), eliminating processed sugar: all sweets, candy, pastries, cookies, muffins, scones, ice cream, shakes, syrupy coffee drinks, cakes, desserts * except the occassional cheesecake, left that in for my sanity
I have since added in raw honey to my tea. honey is sweet, but a natural sweetner and contains minerals and enzymes that enhance health rather than steal from it as processed sugar does.
as i mentioned before, the probiotics. also cod liver oil for omega 3's, Carlsons is a good brand for that. raw walnuts, raw pumpkin seeds, they are good for you and are something i won't binge on and i can add them to salads.
Raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar is a good suppliment. it aids digestion and is good to take between meals. a good vitamin, and a good 'green' suppliment are also part of my routine.
Of course, fresh greens usually as a salad, veggies of all kinds, fruits and berries. Eggs are allowed, real cheese is ok in reasonable amounts, as a snack or in salads or omelettes. Raw unpasturized cheeses are best NO processed cheese food. For salad dressings l like the Annies line and stear towards vinagrettes. they usually don't have the hidden starchy wheat-based ingredients. Either that or make my own dressing with olive oil and basalmic vinegar, a little salt and pepper. Speaking of salt, celtic sea salt is very healing and a good suppliment to add in, especially if you are stressed.
I'll do ~1tsp in a glass of water /day on and off or when feeling stressed.

I also eat alot of avocados in my salads. i don't even worry about the fat or calories, i just chop a whole one in there. they are so rich no dressing is required.

Ok that's a little more wordy than i intended
basically, what i think will work for alot of carboholics is to eliminate simple carbs or cut back drastically, eat less whole grains too.
then work on rebuilding good bacteria in the GI tract via supplements.

one other thing, cut out soda. diet or otherwise. BAD for the digestion and no nutrition at all. ditto for coffee, although this is my weakness and i do have it on occasion. i drink good old h2o and i drink teas. green and herbal mostly with no added flavors other than my raw honey.

i hope that is helpful and you are not alone, my eating habits were just like yours and at times still are, i'm far from perfect and this has been a long uphill struggle. but i'm finally finding what works and feeling healthy and not deprived.

I just had to get away from the all or nothing diet to lose weight mentality and just focus on feeling better. No sence in starting an exercise program if i don't have the energy to do it. being overwieght impacts my problems, but i know it is not my only problem. i had to address the other reasons i was not feeling my best first.

Just don't give up. keep trying and don't overlook the small changes you will make. small changes are better than no changes and over time have a big impact.

"To get something you never had, you have to do something you've never done. When God takes something from your grasp, He's not punishing you, but merely opening your hands to receive something better."
Old 05-19-2009, 07:54 PM   #5  

I have been a binger for many years.SBD truly made a huge difference.As was mentioned above, eliminating bad carbs allowed me to have true control for the first time in many years.I would recomend giving it a try.The first 2 weeks are the hardest (but truly not that bad)>I feel your pain.I used to bawl my eyes out as I was stuffing candy and cookies and fast food in my mouth.Its so frustrating being out of control.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #6  

Another diet that helped me along was the specific carbohydrate diet.
Never stuck to it 100%, but i got alot of my guidelines for food chioces from that diet.

and the Intro diet for it is a good one to use to clear out your system and get a fresh start.

the intro diet:

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.i...ntro_diet2.htm
Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #7  

Rochemist - as others have said, we know your pain. That circuit that starts in our brains that convinces us that certain foods will give us pleasure and remove pain is SO hard to shut off. I also agree about eliminating white carbs and pretty much any carbs except for fruit & veg (no potato or corn). I did it for a year, lost most of my weight, and lost the crazy uncontrollable "stuff it in now" feelings. Personally my problem now is exercise as I have horrid arthritis in one foot and after years of yo-yo dieting I have to exercise alot to get the metabolism moving. I am working on it and trying new tools.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 02:03 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 205/203/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up

rochemist,

Please keep going. You are not alone. I am just barely getting out of the place you are right now. I've been there and back many times. I'm learning that its not about one day at a time. Its about one moment at a time. If you slip, ok, stop, and start over. Don't allow yourself to stay down. IF YOU NEVER STOP TRYING, YOU NEVER FAIL.
FutureSkinnyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #9  
Searching

Thanks for the support. No worries though. I continue to make progress one day at a time. And thank you for food suggestions. I personally don't restrict any food because thats another kind of crazy making. Take what you like and leave the rest.
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote