Old 05-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #1  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Default Wake up call

Still palpitating ~ went to draw a mere £20 out of an atm and it said 'insufficient funds'. I nearly had a panic attack in the shop, my account is 3 strikes and you're out (I have 0 strikes).

I called the bank from the car (stationary) and discovered that actually I did have funds (so no strike, phew) but had transactions piled up waiting to be confirmed which would have taken me into a place where I didn't have enough funds; still not over drawn but only £8 of credit, so I couldn't have the 20.

They read me the amounts over the phone, and I can account for 3, and it's my own fault for not moving the money over into my current account in time. Two I can't identify (they don't have details of payees) and will have to wait until they show up before I can say if they're fraudulent.

Sorry, long way round of saying, that for the first time in 40 months, I took my eye off the financial ball, and nearly had a very serious issue. I am taking this as a big wake-up call for all areas of my life, especially the weightloss: I've lost nearly 2lbs this week but I believe it could have been better, I have been coasting. Sure, I genuinely have continued to make choices within my calorie budget, mostly healthy ones but they could have been better and -- well, let's just say I'm heeding this call.

Concentrate, woman!!!!!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #2  

Height: 5'11"

Yikes! I hope that there isn't any fraud going on with your account. It's easy to lose track with all the balls we need to juggle in our lives. My son is at University and, through a series of events combined with a grueling finals week, lost track of what was in his account and put several $1.50 parking charges on his debit card. Only problem was, his account was empty so for each $1.50 charge, he was assessed a $35.00 overdraft fee. He was so sick and upset about it! Fortunately, the bank was understanding when he went in and they waived all but one of the overdrafts. He just lost track, got busy and boom! Trouble!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:46 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

How grim for your son! I'm glad the bank was understanding - that doesn't always happen!

I'm almost hoping there is some fraud going on - I've given the bank a headsup and they are ready to deal with it as soon as the actual payees show up on my statement. If not, I've forgotten £100 somewhere, and that's a worry!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:24 PM   #4  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I hope it all turns out OK. I usually keep a pretty close eye, but I have forgotten a thing here or there and sometime I just don't realize how much it has all added up to be.

Sounds like the bank will cover it if its fraud, so at least you don't have to worry there.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:40 PM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Yeah you got to keep track, my friend's ex husband was terrible with finances and one time he called her pissed off cuz he was negative $600! She was like what are you talking about I haven't touched your money!

When she got off the phone she checked to see if she could still log into his account and when she did he had like 10 overdraft charges of like $30 each! She was like pft obviously someone doesn't pay attention!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I dropped my debit card at a gas station once, didn't notice it right away and someone used it to fill their tank. Bank was helpful and closed and reopened a new account. They called me months later and told me someone was trying to use it. Since then I do not pay at the pump but go inside and pay for it usually with cash. I just want to remind you that there those who will take advantage of us, good luck.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I just received an email today from a friend of a friend. It was warning that someone had hacked into her Facebook account and posted something to the effect of, "I need to get $$$ together to attend my mother's funeral on Saturday..." blah, blah, blah...and had a Paypal link to donate! Some of the folks on her Facebook actually donated before calling her first. Just an FYI.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 06:28 PM   #8  
Happy Plodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailidh View Post
I am taking this as a big wake-up call for all areas of my life, especially the weightloss: I've lost nearly 2lbs this week but I believe it could have been better, I have been coasting. Sure, I genuinely have continued to make choices within my calorie budget, mostly healthy ones but they could have been better and -- well, let's just say I'm heeding this call.

Concentrate, woman!!!!!
OK, still taking it as a wake up call to concentrate but just disovered i've actually lost 2.8lbs this week! Duh.

and I think I've found the missing money - I bought some clothes mail order and I think they've made 2 attempts to get payment, don't know why but it seems impossible that it should be exactly the same sum to the pence from 2 different traders. Are they getting a severe phone call in the morning!!!!

Which will take my mind off the afternoon and my nasty gynae is it the weightloss that's welcomed Flo back or is it something more sinister tests..... (shiver)