Old 05-18-2009, 10:12 PM   #1  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Default Cleaning out the closet!

Tonight I had a fun job. First I emptied my closet of all my clothes that are too big. The closet was almost empty!

Then I got smaller size clothes out of storage from the last (and only) time I lost a large amount of weight. I had waited too long to get those clothes out. I was surprised that most of them are too big but there was enough clothes that kind of fit to last me to help me get by for awhile.

I have only 4 tops that are too small now. After that, my closet will be empty. I never thought that I would be happy to have an empty closet! I am excited and looking forward to the day that I have to go buy clothes because everything I have ever owned is too big!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:24 PM   #2  
Maintaining ~6 years!

S/C/G: 263/Maintaining/150

Height: 5'8"

Oooh, I *badly* need to do this, too! I'm such a packrat that I never like to get rid of anything... Even the clothes that are just ridiculously too large on me now. I've been using the heck out of my trusty ol' sewing machine to take in everything that I can, but there are some things that I just can't fix--but I can't bring myself to get rid of them, either! Plus it doesn't help that I'm still buying NEW things for myself while keeping some of the old stuff, so I just end up with tons and tons of clothing and not enough storage space, or even enough time to wear all of it, LOL!

Something tells me that eventually over the Summer I will have to force myself to perform one big clothing dump at my local thrift store... And actually - *gulp* - throw away the things that can't be salvaged!
Star2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

What a WONDERFUL problem to have! I blew through some clothes I had put away for later too. It is maddening, but exhilarating at the same time.

Don't forget 2nd had shops as you look to populate those empty hangers
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #4  
One day at a time!

Star,
I can't bear to get rid of any of those clothes yet either. They went into a closet in the spare bedroom. I know that I should get rid of all the too big clothes but I am afraid too. I have promised myself that after I have maintained for awhile they will really go!
Old 05-18-2009, 10:59 PM   #5  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I am excited and looking forward to the day that I have to go buy clothes because everything I have ever owned is too big!
OMG me too me too me too!!!!!!!!! I have a basement FULL of 16s, a few 14s, one size 12 blazer and one size 13 skirt. I cannot WAIT for them ALL to be TOOOOO BIIIIIIIIIIIIG!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep on keepin on!
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:38 PM   #6  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Congrats time2lose! I sooo can't wait until can dig into my, well, old garbage bags, for the smaller sizes that I packed up last time we moved. There's this pair of 18 dress capris (yes, this is a smaller size to me) I bought years ago that I have never worn. Never!

Have fun re-filling your closet!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 337/ticker/320

Height: 5'7

Yay, for you!! That is so awesome
Institches21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:20 AM   #8  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Congratulations, it's a great problem to have!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 07:02 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Default Get rid of the clothes. You don't need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
I know that I should get rid of all the too big clothes but I am afraid too. I have promised myself that after I have maintained for awhile they will really go!
There is nothing to be afraid of, afterall, it is up to you my dear. Promise yourself NOW, right this minute that you WILL maintain. Make a vow - a pact - a pledge - a something - a commitment.

Reading your post brought back memories for me. It was so very emotional for me, packing up my clothes and hauling them out. But it was a GREAT feeling.

Just think how much fun it will be filling up your closets with beautiful new (small) clothing. Ahhh - it's the BEST!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:00 AM   #10  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

I love doing this! So much so that I was really disappointed the next week when I couldn't do it again.

time2lose - can you at least throw out the ones you don't like? You know, the clothes you bought just because they fit. I enjoyed throwing those ones out
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #11  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

Yippee, TimeToLose!

You have made such amazing progress and your closet really shows it! Congratulations on a wonderful NSV --- I see a shopping spree in your very-near future. (And THAT should be a lot of fun, lady!)
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:26 AM   #12  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Congrats on having THAT problem! I can't wait to get rid of this stuff!
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:52 AM   #13  
One day at a time!

Thanks everyone!

I had my son haul the old clothes upstairs to the spare bedroom while I was working on my closet. I looked in there this morning and he had just dumped them on the bed instead of hanging them in the closet. After sleeping on this and reading all your posts, I think I will get rid of most of the clothes. I have a friend from work who asked if she could have some of them and the rest can go to Goodwill. It will seem strange to see someone else wearing my clothes. Now my son can haul them back down the stairs!

Robin, you are right. I believe this time I am succeeding with my weight loss because I have made a commitment to do whatever I need to do in order to lose this weight. The commitment to maintaining is just as important.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:35 AM   #14  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

This is so awesome to read about!!! Thanks for sharing!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:10 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/179.6/140

Hey, I did this over the weekend too! I had 2 33 gallon trash bags full of size 18 dress clothes, jeans and tops and 2 1/2 of the 13 gallon bags with the 16's that don't fit (some still do) I gave half to my neighbor and half to my aunt!

It was great! I have lots of storage space now as I have almost no clothes. I'm trying to hit yard sales, thrift stores etc. I'm trying not to buy new unless I just have to as I'm not at goal yet, so hate to waste money! Still, it's so nice knowing that they're gone! This way if my pants start to get tight I know I need to buckle down. There's no safety net of larger sizes around (that's the plan anyway)
melwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote