South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/133/115

Height: 5'0"

Default I'm confused and need your help and ADVICE.

OK... I started South Beach on April 10th 2009. I started at 158 and now weigh 142. I have lost 16 pounds total. I have weighed 142 for 3 weeks now! This is ridiculous. What should I do? I am not gaining... I only have oatmeal like twice a week. And maybe a half sandwhich on real multigrain bread. Whats the deal? Im drinking lots of water... So, since I have hit a plateau really after phase 1... should I go back onto phase 1 again? HELP!!!!
moncheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Do you exercise? Maybe increase your exercise time and make the workouts more challenging.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 03:30 PM   #3  
no longer single

S/C/G: 225/220.5/150

Height: 5'5"

hmmm i do know some people lose so much in phase one that once they get to phase 2 the loss stops or even goes up a bit for a week or two, then they start losing again
me4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

How about running your calories through Fitday?
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #5  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I had the same thing happen, especially when you don't have a lot to lose. Phase II weight loss can go slowly. In the book, Dr. A. suggests upping your exercise if you don't have a lot to lose and are on Phase II. I eventually started losing again. Try to be patient with your body. And just think about how much healthier you are getting eating this way. My cholesterol dropped 30 points after eating SB for 6 months.

Maybe post your average daily menu here for others to look at?

Last edited by murphmitch; 05-18-2009 at 04:44 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #6  

Yeah... here is my average daily menu. I am not going to even bother going into fitday and figuring out my calories because I know I am not eating that much. I am on phase 2, but I really don't eat that much of the carbs so that is what is even more confusing to me. I keep a daily food journal.. so here is what I have been eating and this is pretty much what I have been doing since phase 2 started:

Brkfst: 1/2 cup oatmeal, 3 packs splenda & 20 oz. iced coffee splash nonfat milk and 4 splenda
Lunch: I can of solid white tuna w/ 2 tblspn dill relish and 1 tbsp mayo, salt, pepper and 1/2 tsp mustard
Dinner: 1 can of black beans w/ feta

Brkfst: 2 eggs over hard, salt and pepper
Lunch: romaine lettuce with ground turkey spiced with cumin, 1 tbsp fat free sour cream, 1 tbsp pace salsa (mock tacos)
Dinner: Grilled Cod with olive oil, salt/pepper, broccoli w/ ICBINB spray and pepper
dessert: 1/4 cup strawberries 1/4 cup blueberries with 1 tbsp sugar free chocolate syrup

Brkfst: 1/2 cup oatmeal 3 packs splenda, 20 oz iced coffee splash nonfat 4 splenda
lunch: small wendys chili
dinner: baked chicken stuffed with spinach, gouda and havarti salt/pepper/garlic, green beans with 2 strips of bacon
dessert: fat free sugar free fudgesicle

brkfst: 20 oz iced coffee with nonfat 4 splenda
snack: 1 mozz chz stick, handful of south beach apprvd nuts
lunch: filet mignon salad w/ olive oil and balsamic
dinner: iceburg lettuce w/ 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce w/ ground beef, parm cheese

brkfst: 1/2 cup oatmeal 3 splenda
lunch: 1/2 grilled chicken sammy w/ light mayo, lettuce, tomato, and cucumber on organic multigrain bread
dinner: 1 can of black beans w/ feta
dessert: fat free suhar free fudgesicle

brkfst: 3 eggs over hard salt/pepper
snack: handful of nuts
lunch: shrimp scampi (ICBINB and garlic, salt/pepper) 1/2 cup brown rice
dinner: baked chicken breast with olive oil, garlic, salt/pepper, salad with blue cheese dressing, broccoli

brkfst: 1/2 cup uncle sam cereal with nonfat/sugar free plain yogurt with 2 packs splenda and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract, 20 oz iced cofee w/ splash nonfat and 4 splenda
snack: 1 gala apple w/ natural sugar free peanut butter used one pack splenda to sweeten pb
lunch: grilled chicken from KFC and 2 sides green beans
dinner: grilled cod w/ olive oil/garlic/salt/pepper, iceburg salad with feta, olive oil/balsamic, 5 green olives stuffed with garlic
dessert: 1 sugar free jello snack pack

Please let me know if i am doing something wrong here....
Old 05-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #7  

i do yoga booty ballet 3 x's a week.. and have been since i started this diet
Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

The only things that I can see may be a problem with your diet is it doesn't look like you're getting your 4 1/2 cups of veggies every day, and you may be eating too much salt and retaining water. Otherwise, your menu looks okay to me.
Make sure you aren't eating regular bacon, only turkey or Canadian bacon is allowed on SBD. Also, regarding bread, make sure it is 100% whole wheat. Multigrain bread often doesn't contain any whole grains at all.

It is true that the less amount of weight you have to lose, the slower it comes off. You lost quite a bit in Phase 1, so your body is probably just making adjustments right now. It's pretty frustrating, I know, but try to be patient and you should see a loss before too much longer.

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 05-18-2009 at 06:57 PM.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:57 PM   #9  

yeah.. im totally aware of the real bacon thing.. that one time was the only time I have had real bacon. (its my hubbys fav side dish... ) And i though ehhh.. one time isn't a big deal. Maybe you are right about the veggies... you would think less food lose less though you know? 4 1/2 cups of veggies.. holy crap.. yeah definately not.. Its hard because I hardly have an appetite you know??
Old 05-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

You're right - I'd bet you're not getting enough calories. You start getting too low, and your body starts dropping it's metabolism so it doesn't starve. I agree with cottage - veggies are a big key to SBD as well. You just need to find what works for you!

Good luck!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #11  
Passion Fruit!

S/C/G: 201/136.4/115

Height: 5 ft. 1 3/4 in.

Seems like a lot of Splenda, too. It's not fattening, but it's a lot of chemicals...

Good luck!
Sunny Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW: 207/CW: 202/GW: 177

Height: 5'4"

Moncheree, I feel your pain. I have been stuck around a 10 pound loss since the first week and I have a lot more to lose than you. I am working out a minimum of 30 minutes most days. Personally, I really want to be mad at the plan but for some reason I'm not (that's new for me). I know I need to up the cardio and I'm not sure I'm always eating enough calories and some days I probably overdo the dairy and/or nuts. It's frustrating, but I see new muscles and some of my pants are literally falling off of me...so, I'll keep plugging along and when my exercise bike is in tomorrow I will start peddaling away the pounds (cheeserific, I know!). Hang in there...in time you'll get where you want to be! Good luck and stay strong!
losin it for good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:54 PM   #13  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I also would try to get 2 cups of dairy (either plain yogurt or milk). Not so much from a SB standpoint (although dairy does seem to aid weight loss) but because you need your calcium and Vitamin D (cheese is not a good source of D). I know it's hard to get the 4 1/2 cups of veggies at first, but try making large salads with a variety of vegetables. I probably eat about 3 cups from a salad bar at work for my noon meal, plus V-8 for breakfast and several more cups for supper. There are so many nutrients you're missing otherwise.

Last edited by murphmitch; 05-18-2009 at 09:55 PM.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:43 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

A point I'm a little afraid to mention is...how reasonable is a goal weight of 105 pounds? When I went to Dr. Pamela Peake's clinic for a jump start a few years ago she told me that with my build that a goal weight of 135 would be reasonable with a lot of work.

So if this might be your problem, we all know that the last few pounds are the hardest to lose.

Just a thought, you do know your body and build better then I do.

Sarah in MD
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:06 PM   #15  

Height: 5'4"

Moncheree...
My top weight was 158 and I am at 140 now (was at 139 before this weekend) I am 5'4" and my first goal is to get to 130 ..then I am going to evaluate if I want to lose more.
My ticker says 150 to 130 because I was down to 150 when I started
this forum. I like the 130 goal because it is closer and if that is as far as I ever go it will be healthy enough.

We all have different motivators so think about whether a goal weight
that is "initial phase weight loss" would be more motivating for you.
Then you could have a 10 pound loss goal after that.

I think 16 pounds since April is fantastic..Pat yourself on the back as you figure out how to keep losing!!!!
nancy237 is offline   Reply With Quote