Old 05-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 155/153/135

Default Working out in the am?

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to get myself to wake up in the morning, but am having the hardest time. I'm know it's mental over anything, but I just keep hitting snooze. I also know that if i don't workout in the am, I won't do it at all (especially with the warm weather already here).

Any suggestions on how to get myself psyched?

My typical wake up is 6am. I would like to be up around 5:15 to be able to get at least cardio in....
BulldogLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:20 PM   #2  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

5:15! Im not a morning person so i have no advice xD Are you sure you cant work out after work, or in the afternoon? I think i would die if I had to get up at 5:15
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 10:47 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
5:15! Im not a morning person so i have no advice xD Are you sure you cant work out after work, or in the afternoon? I think i would die if I had to get up at 5:15
Haha, oh yeah. I just get too tired and mentally exhausted by the end of the day.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:18 PM   #4  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

The thing that works for me is to have everything ready to go the night before, including underwear, hair tie, shoes etc. All laid out on the dresser beside my bed.

Once you get into a routine it will be easier. Just do it one time. Then one more time. Then keep doing it until you can't not.

I know where you are coming from because I was there too. That's what worked for me.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:33 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 210/147/130

Height: 5'4

get yourself a good night sleep and be prepared to wake up in the morning! it's hard at first but once you keep doing it, your body will get used to waking up early and working out. Just let yourself know that it's now or never! you'll feel better after the workout then you will after you push the snooze button.
beautifulmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Two things are crucial for me:

Never hit snooze and "think" about it. I *never* subsequently decide to get up. I have to just sit up immediately, pretty much in the same act of turning off the alarm. I may doze a few moments on the toilet but never in bed.

I never sleep in to make up for lost sleep; or at least, not more than say half an hour and by setting my alarm different the night before (so that I still get up immediately with no "snooze"). I always make up for any sleep deficit by going to bed earlier, not by sleeping in. Better one drowsy day than a week of messed up sleep cycle.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 05-17-2009 at 11:41 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:31 AM   #7  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I have to workout in the morning as well because of my schedule. I do the things mentioned here. Set my clothes out, put my DVD in the machine if that's my workout of choice, and I literally "just do it". It's important to me and hitting the snooze is just not an option. Am I tired or cranky when I start my workout? Well, yes, but it goes away and I feel very proud of myself afterwards which keeps me on program the rest of the day.

By the way, I do this almost every weekday before 5am... Its the only way! I have to leave my house at 6.30am to get to work on time!
'
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:15 AM   #8  
I know I can do it.

S/C/G: 193/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Try going to bed 30 minutes earlier. Waking up 30-45 minutes earlier should be easier this way And I agree with what others have said- have your stuff together and ready to go so when you wake up you know it's just sitting there waiting for you to get your butt in gear.

I'm trying to work out in the AM as well, but my toddler thinks that is a dumb schedule apparently and sabotages it nearly every morning... We're working on it! Good luck! I always feel better for the whole day when I work out in the AM and it isn't weighing on my mind the rest of the day- and I am just generally happier all around when I work out first thing.
carcar05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #9  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I love working out in the mornings - after work just doesn't do it for me, I have no energy and I'm exhausted. I get up between 4:40 and 5 each morning (I know I'm insane) and head out to the gym.

Pretty much everything that was said - get to bed early so you have enough sleep, and don't hit the snooze button. I set up all my clothes the night before (for gym and work) so I just have to jump out of bed, get dressed, and run out the door. Also, keep yourself hydrated! I find its a lot easier to get up and get going in the morning if I have enough water in my system.

It also helps if you have a cat who likes to wake you up in the morning. She's what gets me out of bed most mornings - I can snooze the alarm but I can't shut her up until she eats, and then I'm up already...

Last edited by stellarosa27; 05-18-2009 at 09:29 AM.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:20 PM   #10  
Brown Eyed Staccie

S/C/G: Way too much to "Just Right"

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

Great comments about getting up in the morning. I used to work out in the mornings and loved it. I am trying to get back into that again, by the end of the day I am way too tired or end up having to work late. The snooze button is a killer, I'm not going to hit it at all this week. Alarm goes off, sit up, rinse face, brush teeth and gone. Another thing I like about working out in the morning is that you feel it still working all day (especially if you do weights!). And I am less likely to cheat to ruin it
Brown Eyed Staccie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #11  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

I did a morning workout a few weeks ago. It worked mainly because I was on vacation and knew that I wouldn't be able to fit it in that evening.

I really need to try to start running in the morning though. Very soon it's going to get too hot/humid/mosquito-ey to run in the evening here in Houston. Some great advice in this thread! I have such a hard time getting out of bed early.

Last edited by rocketbunny; 05-18-2009 at 07:06 PM.
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, I live in Southern California, and in summer it gets too blaming hot to run in the evening.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 164.3/see ticker/118

Height: 5'3"

I used to do morning workouts. It was the best. Knowing that my workout was done for the day took such a load off my shoulders. I would get up at 5:30 and be at the gym by 6. As stella said, get everything ready the night before. I would have my bag packed with my work clothes and all my make-up/hair stuff, I would have my lunch and breakfast (can't eat that early in the morning, so I'd eat at the office) in the fridge with my water bottle.

My alarm would go off, I'd get dress in my workout gear, grab everything I needed from the fridge and get in my car. It took all of 15 minutes to get out the door in the morning with no thought required!

Seriously, it sounds so simple here, but I just can't seem to make myself do it again!
shantroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:09 PM   #14  

I want to do morning workouts! I am so excited for next year - I have first period off, so three days a week I will have extra time in the mornings and I'm planning on hitting the gym every time!
Viatre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #15  

Thanks for all of the great advice!!! I will def. start doing it, esp. not hitting the snooze, haha!