Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-17-2009, 12:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

Default Substitute for french fried onions?

Green bean casserole is one of my favorite foods on this planet... The cream of mushroom soup part is easy to figure out how to lighten up but doesn anyone know of a good substitute for the topping?
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hmm I've never had green bean casserole or fried onions so I'm not sure what would be more important, the taste or the texture.

I imagine the fried onions are crispy? If so, maybe whole wheat panko for crispyness? Since onions are awesome, I love roasted onions (roast in oven or in toaster oven).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #3  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

Alton Brown has a recipe on the food network website for green bean casserole where you dredge and broil the onions, spread out on a cookie sheet. I would imagine if you find a recipe that breaks it down like that, you could tweak it to be a little healthier.

I LOVE green bean casserole with French's Fried Onions!!! I don't think I've had it since Christmas. If I stick to my guns, it'll be Christmas again before I have it next, and I won't feel bad for eating it, cause I'll be down fifty pounds from where I was the last time I indulged in that particular yummy holiday side dish.
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Here's my "lighter" version of green bean casserole (and the original below it)

Dash ground black pepper
3 cans french style green beans
1 cup finely diced onion
2 tsp onion powder
1/3 cups French'sŪ French Fried Onions

Mix soup, milk, soy sauce, and pepper in a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. Stir in beans and diced onions Bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees F. Top with the 1/3 cup fried onions and bake about 5 more minutes, until onions are lightly browned.
Serves 6.

Dash ground black pepper
4 cups cooked cut green beans
1 1/3 cups French'sŪ French Fried Onions

Mix soup, milk, soy sauce, and pepper in a 1 1/2-quart casserole dish. Stir in beans and 2/3 cup of the fried onions. Bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees F. Top with the remaining 2/3 cup fried onions and bake about 5 more minutes, until onions are lightly browned.
Serves 6.

Last edited by kaplods; 05-17-2009 at 01:22 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #5  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I know some people use crushed crackers for the topping (Ritz usually, I believe)... so you could use a whole grain cracker perhaps. Although I think usually people go and drizzle melted butter over that before baking which would sorta defeat the purpose.
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #6  

Many Asian markets sell fried shallots in jars for super cheap. Since it is just shallots and oil. I think French's has flour and sugar in it. They are also very flavorful so you don't need as much. I like the whole wheat panko idea- maybe mix the two together. Hungry Girl is a major advocate of FiberOne crushed as a breading substitute. This sounds like a place to try that out and maybe use carmelized onions in the casserole itself so you get crunch (w/ fiber) on top and deep onion flavor in the mix. I sometimes also take dried onion, spray with cooking spray and bake up a little more for a more toasty flavor. They are small bits but good flavor.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:32 PM   #7  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

What about just dry-frying thinly sliced onions in a non-stick pan until they are brown? They won't be as crispy as the deep fried ones, but far more flavourful.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote