Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-15-2009, 07:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 221/217/140

Height: 5'4

Default just venting...need a pick me up

so i just started my summer break from nursing school. i figured id finally have this summer to get my lifestyle changes on track. i started cracking down on monday and i just realized that i start up my summer job on sunday, and im scared out of my mind..its a mexican fast food place that ive worked at for the past two years but i havent worked since october bc of school. the best food ive ever had...the place where ive gained all my weight...and also the only place that would hire me for the summer. i went in a couple of hours ago and its like walking in there just says eat me! i wouldnt put myself in this place except for i really need money. and i just want to cry bc im so scared im going to fail. ive tried being healthy and dieting so many times while working there and it maybe lasts a week and im back to eating it. no matter how many times i always tell myself no and everything else im thinking, i just eat it anyway. i just dont know what to do...its like it completely takes over my entire body and mind and doesnt even give me the chance to think about it before i eat it and before you know it i ate a whole burrito. its hard to explain what goes through my head...maybe i really need to go to counseling or something about my food issues but maybe someone on here understands what im talking about and has some advice :-(
nikkibabyyyyxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Do they have a fridge where you can put food that you bring? Knowing that food you paid for will go to waste may help you to go eat it instead of the fast food.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #3  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Nikkibaby!!! You GOTTA find another place to work. Keep looking, there HAS to be another option. This is like advising an alcoholic to take a job as a bartender!!!! YIKES!!!
Seriously, if you doubt that you'll be able to resist, then start looking ANYWHERES for another job. There HAS to be something else. House cleaning, child care, summer camps, sales associate at the mall, ANYTHING. Keep this job for the time being and do your best, but girly, start hitting the bricks for another job.

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 05-15-2009 at 09:58 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #4  

Check at local hospital and nursing homes.You would be a great nurses aide with your nursing background.Its also great experience as you continue your nursing education.Plus...pay is pretty good.And you get lots of exercise!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #5  

i would absolutely love having a nursing job right now. our local hosptial just closed :-( and ive called every single nursing home within distance that i can get to and they wont call me back or arent hiring...i even tried getting a job at subway where i worked 5 years ago but they arent taking anyone back. thats why this situation stinks so bad, and to top it off i sold my car last year bc the school i go to is in the city where they charge you $200 to keep your car in the garage so no car until i graduate next year :-( haha theres nothing in my little town, i guess its just going to take a lot of will power and if i can do this then i will prove to myself that i can do anything, thank you for all the advice though :-)
Old 05-16-2009, 12:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

i deliver chinese food, at the place i used to order from all the time, i can see where you're coming from.

I try to take my own drink and i eat before i start, and eat when i get home. If i dont eat before i go in, i carry some cut up cucumber (for example) in a tuppa wear container, in a small cooler.
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 01:07 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 271/268/175

Height: 5'8"

I have discoved a few healthy choice at our local mexican resturant here in town and it's actually pretty awesome. Just remember, Flour totillas are BAD! Corn are actually pretty good. Chicken is good as long as it is not fried or covered in some unknown cream sauce. Red meat is most likely high in fat. Try your best to bring your own food and if you MUST eat the food there, try to make your choices healthier ones that WON'T undo your day.

You can do it! I believe in you!
shrinkingleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:05 AM   #8  

thanks so much for the support. its awesome to have people that youve never even met believe in you...it means alot :-)
Old 05-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/132/135

Height: 5' 7"

Nikkibaby,

I feel for you. You know, if you have to work there make a pact with yourself and with everyone here on 3FC that you will not eat one bite, taste, lick, that NOTHING from that restaurant will pass your lips. I really think if you don't start with a small nibble or "just one" of anything, you will be able to control it.

Good luck!
Pam
MileHighMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiMama View Post
Nikkibaby,

I feel for you. You know, if you have to work there make a pact with yourself and with everyone here on 3FC that you will not eat one bite, taste, lick, that NOTHING from that restaurant will pass your lips. I really think if you don't start with a small nibble or "just one" of anything, you will be able to control it.
This is exactly what I was going to say. Make it a LAW. Your LAW. An unbreakable LAW - that no matter what - you totally refrain from eating anything from work. ANYthing. It will take the decision making process away - Maybe just one little bite? Should I? Shouldn't I? - No, you shouldn't it. End of it. It's simply not an option for you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #11  
Can't Wait For The New Me

Height: 5 Feet 3 Inches

Oh gosh! I've been in the same situation before when I worked at a Japanese restaurant.
It is very very hard to look at all that delicious food and voiding it, BUT I usually brought a Lean Cuisine dinner or Smart Ones even Healthy Choice dinners with me (If they have a freezer and micro). Also, look at that type of food as your enemy, when you think "Oh my gosh, that looks soo good and I'm hungry" always remind yourself that it WILL NOT help you in any way shape or form! Try to eat healthy snacks too (like fresh fruit, veggies, or even a small salad) so that you wont be starving when you get off of work or at your lunch time! Hope this helps!!
Just hang in there! You can do it!!
iMrsCiCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #12  
sugar is the devil

Just think of it this way.... it isn't "your" food to take. As in, did you pay for the food? Nope [a way to trick this system is to NOT bring your wallet/money with you when you work]. Therefore, you can't have what you don't own.

Pack your own lunch instead! Bring some gum for your coffee/lunch breaks. I know the smells and visual of the "so good" food is intimidating but you will feel so strong when you DEFEAT it!

P.S. I am a nursing student too
SweetScrumptious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I agree with the others. If you feel you must work there, then you cannot set yourself up for failure. NO FOOD (from there) FOR YOU!

Last edited by Heather; 05-16-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:27 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 353.6/344.6/180

Height: 5' 9"

Ugh, I feel your pain girl! I work at quiznos, and it is so hard to turn down the food, but I have started bringing a lean cuisine, or a sandwich, some yogurt, and some sunchips to snack on..the first week was so hard, but after that, it was much easier to control.
im a nursing student also :-)
tlp06289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 01:05 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 293/248/150

Height: 5'8"

I agree with what the general consensus here is, that you should avoid the food at all costs...

HOWEVER, I can see the potential for it not working, too. I could see it happening where, you've been running around all day before work and didn't get a chance to eat anything, and you've worked half your shift and you're starving, and you decide to eat something, maybe a burrito. Then you feel like a failure, and like you might as well eat whatever there. I've been in that situation, and mine was also a fast food mexican place.
My suggestion (and take this for what you will) is to PLAN on eating nothing from the restaurant. On those days when you feel you must eat something, make yourself a healthy salad. It's a restaurant, they've got to have lettuce, tomatoes, etc. Make it a mexican-style salad with a couple chips crumbled into it and salsa for dressing.

Just my two cents.
Lachelle is offline   Reply With Quote