Old 05-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #1  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Question Giving up diet drinks?

I know some people on here have given up diet drinks such as coke and have been able to break through their plateaus by doing this. I'm considering doing this (i'll break this plateau if it kills me!) but i would like some input from other people? Calorie wise it doesnt make sense, there are zero-5 calories in more diet coke than you could hope to drink, it shouldnt be making a big difference. I've heard stories about how it puts you into "starvation mode" but I am a tad skeptical about that, although I havent actually gone out to research it myself. Anyone have any input for me about this?
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

The only scientifically proven link between diet sodas and weight gain is that, for some people artificial sweeteners do promote food cravings (particularly for sweets). These can cause overeating, which can then lead to problems with weight. No one has shown that diet drinks will stall weight loss on their own, and not everyone experiences the increase in cravings associated with artificial sweeteners.

Some people are also sensitive to sodas/diet sodas, which can cause headaches and bloating, which could make weight look like it was going up. That wouldn't account for a plateau, though, I don't think.

If you're concerned about it, maybe a 2 week trial would help you? Give them up and see if it alleviates any extra cravings/bloating/etc. We're all different, and different substances can affect our bodies in different ways.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Some people have noticed a huge difference and some have not. For me, it makes a difference in how I feel and how I want to eat. Plus the health of my teeth and bones. Sometimes I think it makes me stall, but I recognize how casual and biased my observations are, something I think a lot of people don't.

But I think sometimes chemicals can affect our bodies in ways beyond calories, and in ways that are not understood yet. I just don't think it's the same for everyone, but I do think it's worth an experiment.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am drinking diet coke tonight--it is my only time to have it during the week. I do notice that when I use too much artificial sweetner--no matter the source--my skin tends to get yuck--pasty and light acne. Water seems to the opposite.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #5  
This is not a test.

thanks, i do think i probably drink more than is good for me, in terms of teeth and nutritional value I guess i am just trying to figure out what i am doing wrong
Old 05-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/147/130

Height: 5'4

too much sodium
eh, but I don't care. I'm obsessed with diet coke
beautifulmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #7  
This is not a test.

really? i never thought about the sodium. Looks like 1 can diet coke has 40mg sodium, which i didnt think was that bad?
Old 05-16-2009, 05:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 97/78/65 - 214/172/143

Height: 168cm - 5'6

I read in the paper last week that the chemicals in diet drinks and sweeteners block the body's ability to process nutrients and the like. They also mentioned that it contributes to belly-fat (the exceptionally unhealthy kind that contributes to heart disease). I wish I kept the article!
I love diet coke too - I try to only drink a small bottle once or twice a week, but it doesn't always turn out that way.
merose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:57 AM   #9  
Monkey see, Monkey do!

Height: 5'6

Another diet coke lover here

Just my humble opinion - I think drinking it really influenced my dieting too much (still managed to loose lots of weight), but what it does to me for sure (I can serve here as an example to what mandalinn82 said before) it does increase my cravings for sweets! BIG time!

And it does make me hungry (after having a can - I am totally starving!). Anyone experienced that before?
wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 12:08 AM   #10  
Night Shift chickie!

S/C/G: 189/159.6/150

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiosna View Post

And it does make me hungry (after having a can - I am totally starving!). Anyone experienced that before?
totally addicted to diet coke, but the same thing happens to me. if i drink one on an empty or somewhat empty stomach it makes me ravenous. i think its the acidity in it, like it eats at my stomach lining, and my brain shouts get some food in there! ive been trying to replace it with iced tea, so i think im weening myself off slowly. just wanted to add my thoughts!
sassybangs is offline   Reply With Quote