Old 05-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #1  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Default The End of Overeating

A friend of mine sent me this link:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/276782...david_kessler/

Some very interesting comparisons made, including comparing the restaurant industry and the tobacco industry and how both have people in their grip.

I will probably get the book.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I think this man is onto something ~ like the truth! I have had some similar thoughts myself about junk foods and fast foods; but, I would go even a bit further than Dr. Kessler and say that I think they are like 'POISON' to our bodies. And, we know what that does -- it's deadly -- just like cigarettes; and alcohol, when it's abused as well ...

Thanks for the link!
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/245/140

Height: 63inches

Thanks for the link! I found it very interesting! Much "food for thought"!
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:39 PM   #4  

Height: 5'11"

I wish I could find a link to the program that I'm listening to right now! It's Dr. Kessler talking about food, how we get hooked on it, and how to change the way we think about food. It's on Public Radio on a show called Tech Nation, but there isn't a link. Darn it! It's really interesting!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #5  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

I think my friend saw Dr. Kessler on Bill Maher.

Here's another article: http://www.reuters.com/article/press...09+PRN20090113

Last edited by Jen415; 05-04-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #6  
One pound at a time...

Definately a book I would be interested in reading.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #7  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Thanks for posting, that looks really good. Think I might pick it up.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #8  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Lightbulb

I just finished Dr. Kessler's book. Funny thing is that he said in his interview "this is not a diet - diets DON'T WORK. I found the book in the with all the other diet books at Barnes & Noble.

One of the best books I have read on obesity. Of course, we are responsible for what we put in our mouths but we have to realize what is out there! And the dangers!

Again, great book. Buy it or go to the library.
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #9  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I watched the video and read an interview with Dr. Kessler. He was talking about me! The pictures of food in the video were my old favorites, my old friends it seemed. I will read the book!

Last edited by time2lose; 05-05-2009 at 04:21 PM.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I put it on hold at the library - thanks!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #11  

There is actually a program that deals specifically with overeating, The Caryn Ehlrich Program(conquerfood.com). Rather then tell you want to eat and what not to eat and expect you to have the self control.

The Program works on mentally and physically conditioning you to recognize hungry, adjust portion sizes, and develop habits that will stop impulsive and excessive eating.

You might want to check it out.
Betty Boops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I read a little bit from it at the bookstore. He talks about all the things they do to food at restaurant (like Chili's-type places). Makes you not want to eat out, even for things like a chicken breast. What was really interesting to me - He says they do a lot of things to make food easier and faster to chew and eat.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #13  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I read a little bit from it at the bookstore. He talks about all the things they do to food at restaurant (like Chili's-type places). Makes you not want to eat out, even for things like a chicken breast. What was really interesting to me - He says they do a lot of things to make food easier and faster to chew and eat.
You know, I'm a little bit less than halfway through the book and I tell ya, it makes me feel so thick sometimes.

I can believe advertisers do all sorts of things to get us to buy products, but it never dawned on me (duh, girl) that food companies had employed skilled people to find ways to entice me to eat more crap. Not just through advertising, but through the way they actually construct the food. That thought has been a huge eye-opener.

The other thing about the chewing is so funny, because I had recently commented to my mother that it seemed like I was just eating so much food now. I think that was because of all the chewing I do now. So when I read that part, another little ding went off, and I thought, yeah, that's what has happened to me.

No wonder I could eat so much crap so fast before! I didn't have to chew it nearly as much!!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #14  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I'm only going on this video clip - very interesting, thankyou - but I think he's asking the wrong people to take responsibility. AFAIK there is no one "The Food Industry" - it makes it sound like a group of evil scientists sitting round going, 'How are we going to enslave the fools today?'

Every individual purveyor of anything tries their best to sell the most they can. So it is not unreasonable for, say, burger manufacturers to do everything they possibly can to make their product as attractive as possible to sell as much as possible.

However, I am not disagreeing about the problem! IMHO the people to take responsiblity over this is the government (each country's own government, I've got to be on a really bad day to believe in international conspiracies lol).
Whilever a food is sanctioned/permitted by governments (silence gives assent) the companies are justified in trying to sell more. Our governments need to step in and take the health of our nations Far More Seriously, make the posting of calories/nutrients compulsory at fast food and restaurant outlets, have public information campagns about how much is too much, do a serious sell on it, the same way as they did when they introduced seatbelt law over here.

I am in favour of food police! Not in people's own homes, any more than people are prevented from smoking in their own homes, but in public outlets there should be a law against selling such blatantly unhealthy food.

So en somme, I agree with the bit I've heard and would like to read the book; but until the proper culprits are made accountable, just blaming the vague 'them' of 'the food inustry' won't help; and yes, of course, we hold personal responsibility to make good choices: some people choose harmful drug use but that's not sanctioned by the government, I don't see why harmful food choices should be so blatantly dangled in front of us.
(End of soapbox workout, I guess the manipulation of the people through food really grinds my gears!)
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

A link to an NPR "Fresh Air" segment:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...20&ft=1&f=1007

Last edited by CJZee; 05-15-2009 at 04:20 PM.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote