Old 05-14-2009, 09:46 PM   #1  
Wanting the dream body

S/C/G: 200/ticker/110

Height: 5'1

Default Is it bad eating tooo much fruits?

cause see im trying to curb my hunger by eating tangerines, grapes, and apples, oranges... instead of eating ice cream

sooo what do you think? is it bad eating these too much?
ZelZel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

The problem with fruits is they're largely sugar (yes, natural, non-refined sugar, but too much is still going to effect you). While they're wonderful, and you should have plenty of them, if you eat too much it can mess with your blood sugar. I remember one season of the biggest loser (last season?) Bob was saying that he didn't allow his team to eat any fruits at first, because he was worried that the up and down blood sugar would make them unstable.

Of course, if it stops you from eating ice cream instead, well... it's a no brainer.

Last edited by kelly315; 05-14-2009 at 09:53 PM.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I guess everyone's different. To me, it's not a problem. I have 3-4 servings of fruit every day, sometimes more. The more fruit I eat, the less I care to eat desserts like cookies and ice cream and such.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 249/228/165

Height: 5'9"

my doctor told me one time that he had never had a patient who could honestly ascribe their weight issues to apples and oranges.

try a big glass of water or a cup of tea (i like jasmine) when a sugar craving hits, and wait 10 minutes. often for me i find it passes unrequited

isolde
stillclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I have always been able to lose weight and not really count fruit points into my daily allotment. I stick with grapefruit, melons, apples, strawberries, blackberries, cherries, and blueberries. I have been on a watermelon/grapefruit kick for about two months now though.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:05 AM   #6  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

About a month ago, I was eating too much fruit and it was affecting my blood sugars and hunger levels. So, I still get all my fruit in but smaller quantities and eaten a little more slowly. Now I'm losing consistently again
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:41 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/178.5/135

Height: 5'3

If you find it spikes your blood sugar, add a small portion of protein, such as cheese. Nothing beats a small slice of cheese and a fresh, organic, red apple.
Bumbleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:10 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

How do you define too much?

Fruit is part of a well balanced diet. There are lot of necessary nutrients that you can get from fruit as well as important antioxidants and phytonutrients. Of course the key is balanced diet, so you should be eating other things as well
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

When I first started, I definitely used fruits to appease my sweet tooth. Now, I eat fruits because I love them and because they contain vital nutrients which are good for me. I eat at least 2 servings of fruit every day.

Fruit does have calories, so I don't think you can go crazy with fruit and still expect weight loss. (same with sweet potatoes or avocado - 2 other foods which are GREAT for you, but have a calorie impact that must be managed).

Keep eating fruit, keep watching the scale and never be afraid to tweak/adjust your plan as you go along to get the results you want.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:37 AM   #10  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

4-5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day! This is a good guideline.

I saw an episode of X-Weighted, which is a weight loss show up here in the Great White North, where one of the participants had the same question for the trainer. She asked if she was eating too much fruit. It turned out that she had a long commute (approximately 2 hours each way), so she would buy a bag of apples (as in, around 16 apples) and eat the WHOLE THING on the way to work.

16 apples at 80 calories per apple = 1280 calories. As a pre-work SNACK.

So the answer is this -- if you feel like snacking and tend to eat chips/ice cream, then a cup of grapes or strawberries or an apple is a great choice.
But you need to know how many calories you are getting from the fruit simply as part of controlling your caloric intake.

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 05-15-2009 at 11:37 AM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #11  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramira View Post
4-5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day! This is a good guideline.

I saw an episode of X-Weighted, which is a weight loss show up here in the Great White North, where one of the participants had the same question for the trainer. She asked if she was eating too much fruit. It turned out that she had a long commute (approximately 2 hours each way), so she would buy a bag of apples (as in, around 16 apples) and eat the WHOLE THING on the way to work.

16 apples at 80 calories per apple = 1280 calories. As a pre-work SNACK.
Wow! I've always eaten a lot of fruit and actually when I first started losing weight, I had to cut back on fruit quite a bit. It wasn't unusual for me to eat 10 plums for dinner. I favored fruit over veggies though so I needed to introduce more veggies into my diet so that I could be balanced.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:58 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Wow! I've always eaten a lot of fruit and actually when I first started losing weight, I had to cut back on fruit quite a bit. It wasn't unusual for me to eat 10 plums for dinner. I favored fruit over veggies though so I needed to introduce more veggies into my diet so that I could be balanced.
Every once in a while I just have fruit for dinner if I feel like it, which isn't that often. A couple days ago I had about 3/4 pound of strawberries for dinner, sliced into Greek yogurt with vanilla & cinnamon, and a couple handfuls of whole almonds. Really enjoyed that. But usually, I like to get in lots of vegetables. It's not so much the quantity of fruit that affects me as the fact that it displaced the veggies.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #13  
Just Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Every once in a while I just have fruit for dinner if I feel like it, which isn't that often. A couple days ago I had about 3/4 pound of strawberries for dinner, sliced into Greek yogurt with vanilla & cinnamon, and a couple handfuls of whole almonds. Really enjoyed that. But usually, I like to get in lots of vegetables. It's not so much the quantity of fruit that affects me as the fact that it displaced the veggies.
Well it was that and also the fact that I would have a large bowl of ice cream for 'dessert'. So I wouldn't say the fruit was the problem but I had to learn some sort of portion control with fruit.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I try to take "bad" out of my weight loss vocabulary, and replace it with "undesireable consequences," and for me there are some undesireable consequences to eating large quantities of fruit, but I think that it's a very individual thing. How much is "too much," and whether and at what point undesireable consequences are experienced is going to vary greatly from person to person.

I can overeat fruit, but I can't say that fruit was ever the primary reason for my lack of weight loss. I am learning that natural sugars can make me hungrier and more prone to cravings, so I need to be aware of that. I lose weight best when I follow a calorie-controlled exchange plan (I like exchange plans, because they can force a little more balance than straight calorie counting, for me).

Every summer, I will on several days (rarely consecutive) choose to only eat sweet corn and fruit (usually strawberries, watermelon, and/or Ranier cherries). It's not unusual for me to eat a pound of cherries in a day during Ranier cherry season (the season is only about 3 weeks long). I actually lose quite a bit of weight on my corn and fruit diet, but it's not healthy (or comfortable) to do in the long term. Because I have IBS, I will have a huge negative consequence of stomach cramps and diarrhea (which is why I don't do it very often).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #15  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmm, I don't have IBS, but I can't eat more than 1-2 ears of corn, or a 1/4 lb or so of cherries without "undesirable consequences."
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote