Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-14-2009, 10:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/149/105

Height: 5'2

Default Am I working out Enough?

hi all-
I just found this website today and Im happy that I can talk to people who are in the same boat as me.

I am going to be in two weddings this year in Sept and Nov, and in desperate need to lose weight.

I am going on the treadmill an hour and a half everyday, walking and jogging from 3.5-5.5 mph.

I just started two days with this workout regimen.

I am drinking alot of water, and also cutting out sweets, but I do eat carbs.

What do you all think? any help is appreciated. thanks!
joyinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/155

Height: 5'6

make sure (in my opinion) you dont push yourself too hard; give your body time to rest or you may get sick, and/or even seriously hurt yourself. I have 1 or 2 days off a week, but my work out is generally only 30 mins to 1hr 30

Also i've gotten the best results by seriously watching what i eat. I eat alot of salads, grilled chicken.. cut back on breads.
Jinksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

I like to kick my workouts up a notch so I can get them over with faster. Sounds like you are off to a great start, though. I will jog for 45 minutes or play a softball game.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 01:53 AM   #4  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I think 90 minutes of cardio with no weight training at all is a bad idea. If you tamed back that cardio a bit and added some strength training you would probably get better results.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:03 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/178.5/135

Height: 5'3

Have you exercised at this level before? If so, go right ahead with your routine, but if not -- proceed with caution. Start out at a shorter or slower pace and you will find that you will not be as prone to injury.

However, if you are athletically inclined or have worked out before, you know what you are capable of and how long it takes your body to get "back into shape".
Bumbleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:05 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

I do close to an hour of cardio 6 days a week, in addition to three days of weight lifting... I find it's easier to do it that way than do an hour and a half of cardio every single day
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 05:49 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 145/160/120

Height: 5'6

Rather than doing 1 really long workout session, I usually break mine down into 2 smaller ones. Usually before breakfast and then before evening meal. About 20 mins on each, 5-6 days a week.
Typically one is running, and then an aerobics dvd etc.
I find running in particular becomes harder for me if I cut out carbs. However I'd recommend things like Porridge to get those carbs from
serendipity907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 06:16 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Your question was about exercise. But quite frankly, I know for myself and many, many others here as well, an increase in exercise is not enough to create "that" much of a calorie deficit that is needed to produce steady, consistent significant weight loss. In other words basically, I could be exercising 24/7, but if I'm not closing guarding what I'm eating, it would be of no value in the weight loss department. A commonly thrown around statistic is that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise.

Drinking water is great. Cutting out sweets is great. But.... how many calories are you consuming? I know for me eating heatlhy never "worked", nor did "watching myself", cutting out the "junk" neither. It all boiled down to how many calories I was consuming. Was I creating a calorie deficit? Every day.

IMO, if you're interested in steady, consistent, long term weight loss, I'd look into a more structured program. fitday.com and thedailyplate.com or just 2 of many websites that can help you track your calories. If that's not the "thing" for you, there are many other programs worth looking into that can lay out a more "formal" plan for you and get you where you want to go.

As far as exercise, don't forget to add in some strength training. A simple resistance band is a great way to start out.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/149/105

Height: 5'2

thanks for replying.
I used to run ALOT before...that was a couple of years ago, and i did do marathons, which i cant believe.
I think i stopped working out when my ex fiance cheated on me.
And so now, im starting to get back into it.

As for weight training, can any of you guys give me pointers? i have 2 pound and 5 pound weights. In the past, i did "weight training" and my arms were getting big and bulky..it was not sexy at all.

thanks again. you guys are great!
joyinSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #10  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Ditto on what Robin said...
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:19 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonsBaby View Post
I think 90 minutes of cardio with no weight training at all is a bad idea. If you tamed back that cardio a bit and added some strength training you would probably get better results.
I lost all my weight and then some without any strength training. I did other activities like rock climbing, softball, and rollerblading. I think if you want to start weight training, it is important to go with somebody who is pretty well versed with the gym equipment, especially free weights. I agree with other posters however about losing weight is a lot about diet. I do WW and keep a food journal.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:32 AM   #12  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaspank View Post
I lost all my weight and then some without any strength training. I did other activities like rock climbing, softball, and rollerblading....
Same for me. I've never lifted a weight in my life...(except my own huge body). I have however started some heavy lifting in a new rock garden I'm making, and I have also been cutting and hauling some tree branches lately...
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #13  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandonsBaby View Post
I think this is really good advice. When we lose weight, we're not just losing fat, but lean muscle mass as well. Strength training can scale back (or even reverse) muscle loss, which will help your metabolism in the long run. Also, maintaining your muscle mass is a great way to give your body a nice shape. Unfortunately, a lot of folks who lose a significant amount of weight without strength training end up with a "skinny fat" body (a normal body weight but lots of extra fat that even heavy cardio can't touch).

Also, too much cardio in each workout session triggers the release of stress hormones that tell your body to metabolize muscle instead of fat. I'd say do 30 minutes of strength training and 30 minutes of high-intensity cardio, and you'll be on your way
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:12 PM   #14  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

Only reason I'm using any weight lifting type stuff is because I'm paranoid about saggy upper arms. But I'm starting from a higher weight, so it may not be an issue for you as it is for me.

I would encourage you not to only ever do the same exercise. You may find that you suffer burnout and boredom and those two combine to make a powerful anti-exercise sentiment. I try to do something a little different avery week or two, just to keep me interested. For example, I've got exercise DVDs on my Netflix queue so I can do a different routine every so often, and I walk somewhere different everyday when I walk, and I incorporate running errands to the bank, library, and post office into my walk to make it purposeful. Good luck to you!
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #15  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Rosie, lifting has done wonders for my arms! Granted, there's still a little sag (hey, I've been morbidly obese my entire adult life, so it's not going away overnight), but my arms look toned. Lift, and lift heavy!
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote