Old 05-12-2009, 06:18 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #25

Good morning all. I see the site is going to be down from noon on. I guess I will read all your posts tomorrow, but wanted to get in here and read what interesting stuff you guys are up to as my life is sort of ho hum most of the time. I am much better but still having some twinges of my attack Sunday. I have no earthly clue what could have caused it as more fiber and such is supposed to make it better not worse.

Jack called me around 10:30 and said he hurt his back again and was getting workman's comp paperwork and would I take him to the dr's as he was coming home. We went to the minor medical center the city uses and he got in fairly quickly. Seems he just stressed the same muscle he did last time she put him on the same meds as last time naproxin and a muscle relaxer. The muscle relaxer kicks is behind and makes him sleep so am keeping an ear out that he doesn't oversleep. He put him on very light duty, which means he can't lift, climbs stairs, put his arms over his head, etc, so he will be just sitting at work for two days. He asked her why they did just have them stay home and she said it was frowned on by the city and she couldn't so I guess he will sit and do puzzles or read the paper or whatever for Tues and Wed. Looks like he did sleep through as it is 10 after so I went and woke him up.

Maggie: I think I lose water and lbs that first week. Since I am a very good girl, my body rewards me for sheering off all those calories. I will probably lose some extras or a few weeks then settle down to a couple lbs a week. Beef jerky and oranges, that's a new one! I have a niece that is nuts over teriaki (sp) jerky. I will eat it but not particularly fond of it.

Jean: I noticed at the minor medical yesterday that people who were coughing or had temps of over 101 were supposed to don masks, which the had available. Luckily while we were there they had 3 people taking urine tests for jobs and one lady who had a toe injury so no sweat there.

Susan: Once years and years ago in our adult ss class, which the pastor taught, we did a severl week thing on the temple. He taught all bout each part, what each piece in the temple meant and was for and where people congregated and for what purpose. It was fascinating. Did you know that the reason the priests in the temple wore bells was when they went into the holy of holy's if they had not confesses all sin they would drop dead in there. As long as they could hear the tinkling, they knew he was alive. They would tie a rope around him before he went in so they could pull him out if the tinkling stopped.

Well gals, I am going to start morning chores. Jack goofed up any cleaning I could do yesterday so I am going to try and get some done today. I have clinic tomorrow morning so that shoots the day.

Have a good one. Hooray, for the moment is it NOT raining!
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #2  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIS

It is a very nice day here in the Heartland. I need to bake a loaf of sourdough bread this day. Not much else going on in this neck of the woods to speak of this day.

DONNA FAYE There are some really good books by Alfred Edersheim that are Biblical history and here are the titles of a few, The Temple ~Bible History of the OT, Studies of the Jewish people ~ Social life in The Days of Christ ~ The Life & Times of Jesus the Messiah. All are very interesting. So sorry to hear that Jack is down with his back again. Guess they make him go back to work to make sure he isn't "pretending." But they should know him by now he doesn't play those games.

Have a lovely day Magnolias. This is an 18 point day for me and I'm sticking to it because if I don't stick to it more will stick on me. Type at y'all later.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #3  

Good morning! A nice sunny day today but cool.

I have Quilting Bee tonight with dinner with my friends beforehand so that is nice to look forward to. This is one of "those" days at work.

Faye, I hope Jack is doing better. I didn't know that about the temple.

Jean, We will be off bible study until September and then we'll start again.

Maggie, I'm going to look up those books. Looks like good summer reading.

Well, it's nearly time for them to shut this site down so I'll say bye for another day. Hope we can get together tomorrow.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:20 AM   #4  
Thin Within

Talking Tuesday Night Around Midnight

AH, GOODNIGHT MAGNOLIAS :WAVE:

I have been working on a glass house and trying to stay cool. I am stickey. The humidity is here and the ceiling fans are going. I got the pieces all ready to solder together tomorrow and will finish it up.

SUSAN I think it is a real wonderful thing that you have a group of friends that love to quilt and get together so often.

Hope all is well with everyone and I am saying nighters. Type at you on the morrow.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:28 AM   #5  

Good morning ladies! Short and sweet as I have to leave in a little while to run a couple errands then head to the school. My day to work at the clinic. I only have a couple more weeks and school will be out.

Maggie: Thanks for the info on the books! Jack is pretty fed up with the business with his back. The meds make him too sleepy to take and if he doesn' take the relaxers his back hurts him. I imagine the dr is going to get an earful tomorrow to either give him several days of very light duty so his back heals naturally, or give him the rest of the week off and he can take the muscle relaxers at home and sleep, which is what he does. It isn't safe for him to drive to work if he is on those meds, even if he takes them 12 hours before he is sleepy.

Susan: Hope you had a nice time at the bee last night and dinner out with friends. Jack and I are limiting ourselves to one night or lunch out a month. I think it will keep us on the straight and narrow. I fixed Jack the salmon and the asparagus on Sunday and he loved the asparagus done with the olive oil spray, garlic powder and roasted in the oven. One more veggie I can add to his tiny repertoire!

I need to get ready to leave so I hope you all have a great hump day!
Faye
Old 05-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #6  

Good morning, ladies! Hopefully a nice warm day today.

Faye, I'm glad Jack is expanding his list of veggies he'll eat. I love salmon and asparagus - makes me think of Spring.

Maggie, I feel blessed to have good friends. I don't even want to think about humidity. It makes me feel like I am drowning when I go outside so I have to stay in a lot. Lung problems stink!

Counting down the days, Jean?

I'll be going to quilting bee tonight, so more fun!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #7  

Good Evening! Today was our "Day in the Park" day . . . I did my rain dance too early! We were bussed to different parks/areas throughout town to pick up trash in the mud. The college had all ready done their community service clean up and the city had their city wide clean up a week ago, so there wasn't much to pick up. Then we were bussed to the main park for a "cold" hot dog lunch. There was way too much free time for the kids and they got to horsing around. In the afternoon we were bussed to different sites for sessions that they chose; I helped with the time capsule, and there was scrapbooking, bike riding, fishing, golf, target shooting on a farm to name a few. The adults agreed that today was more work than if we had had a regular school day.

"Gma" -- I'm sorry that Jack is having back issues again. I hope your day at the clinic went well.

Maggie -- I could almost smell your bread baking yesterday!

Susan -- It is time for school to be out! Next year is turning out to be such a SNAFU before it even starts. Parents are becoming upset with the principal because she is eliminating classes and rearranging teachers as well as what they teach.

I'm taking a break from writing thank yous and need to get a few more done before I head to bed. Have a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:21 AM   #8  

Good morning ladies! Another day gone. It came down in buckets around 5:30 this morning and it has now stopped and looks like it is moving on through so Susan should be getting it tomorrow I imagine.

Susan: Jack is back at the dr's today and the plant manager told Jack that if the dr doesn't want to give Jack time off to call him. Jack can't take any meds because it makes him very sleepy. He could hardly walk this morning he hurt so badly. She is the only one that can give him the time off though so I just hope someone can make her see reason. Why she should care, I don't know! lol

Jean: Our kids are acting like caged animals. No one is paying any attention to teachers it seems. They have kindergarten graduation next week so they were practicing yesterday when I was at the clinic. Boy, they sure do have problems getting anyone to volunteer. I worked the morning and no one showed up for afternoon duty. I am the only one that works more than once am month and they are thrilled to have me. Seemed like a real waste of time to have a bunch of uncontrolled kids out running around doing nothing since everything had already been cleaned up. I know you have to be getting so anxious just to be done with it all.

I am making lowfat biscuits this morning while Jack is at the drs. I freeze them then we can take one out whenever we like. They ar nice sized and only 2 pts per biscuit. Makes nice strawberry shortcake, nice breakfast sandwiches, etc. Jack likes to just use some spray butter and orange marmalade on his. lol

Well, bell went off so I have to get them out. Have a great Thursday all!
Faye
Old 05-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #9  

Good morning ladies! Faye's rain has arrived and threatens to stay through the weekend.

After 3 days of having places to go after work, I'm glad to be able to stay home this evening. No plans for the weekend, either, so I guess I'll have to do laundry and clean house to entertain myself. I definitely know I'll be doing some quilting. :

Jean, that sounded like poor planning to have all the different groups do clean up so close together. I bet you are glad you decided to retire with all the mess going on at the school.

Maggie, how is the glass house business - no one throwing stones I hope!

Faye, everyone complains and tells how things should be done, but no one wants to do the actual volunteering and work. I hope Jack's back gets better soon - poor man!

Well, back to work!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:30 PM   #10  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is a cloudy cooler day here this day. It is the day Will volunteers to man the phones at the cancer center here in town so he just went out the door with Ragg Mopp at his heels. However, he doesn't get to go so will be barking at his dog friends in a little bit. My mother sent me a book written by one of my older cousins about his time in the service during WWII. He tells about the planes he was in and his missions and the gear they had to wear because those planes were't heated. It got down to below 40 and 60 at times so they had to layer it on. Interesting. I was only 5 when he came home from the war and he was so handsome... Anyway it is really interesting to have a first hand look at what he went through on his missions and then when he was a POW. What a guy. I called him and we had a good chat.

JEAN Think you will be totally through with that school when the year is finally ended. Some changes are good but change for change sake doesn't always work out for the best. Some folks just want to mess up a good thing.

DONNA FAYE I like making those lite biscuits also. It is always good to have some on hand in the freezer. I have a small cutter that can make them one point size. I like the smaller ones for putting in stews and "stuff." I sure do hope they can help your Jack and let him stay home to recoup.

SUSAN I just finished up a house last evening. It is done in shades of green and yellow. I am going to give it to a cheery lady at church come Sunday. No stone throwing allowed here. But, these buildings are actually quite sturdy. I'll cut another pattern today and probably get the glass cut also. I have yet to decide what colors to use on it. I need to order some more fall colors to expand my choices.

Everyone have a lovely day this day. I'll type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 05-14-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #11  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a beautiful day in my corner of the world today. I am having some issues with a student at school and the story is too long to go into right now. It is causing me some sleepless nights to say the least. Today was the seniors last day of classes and tomorrow is their practice for graduation and lunch afterwards. The seniors who still owe obligations will be back in the afternoon and the seniors who won't be graduating will be in classes/study halls until final exams are over. I'm sure they will be not too enjoyable to be around!

"Gma" -- I hope that Jack can get some time off from work. From what little I know about back pain, rest is the best medicine. It's nice that you can volunteer for the clinic. I know the schools, churches, library, and hospital all welcome volunteers around here.

Susan -- Enjoy your evening at home! It's nice to not have to be somewhere or committed to some not-so-fun chore sometimes.

Maggie -- I think the principal is making changes, for next year, just because she can. So far none of them make much sense as far as any of the teachers are concerned. One of the teachers who is supposed to be changing rooms but hasn't been told where, has a closet and cupboards full of books, etc., as well as two metal file cabinets. She's in a big room now and sure can't fit all that stuff in some of the smaller rooms that have been suggested. She teaches special ed. and German so has a variety of class sizes.

Not much is newsy from here. I'm off to work on some more thank you notes! I will get them all done . . . later if not sooner.

Have a nice evening and a FANTASTIC Friday tomorrow. I am ready for the weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!
Old 05-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #12  
Thin Within

Talking Is It Friday?

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

May I ask where this week has gone? Seems to have just whisked by me and here it is Friday in the Heartland. Ah, but the wind isn't blowing. I now have all the ingredients for the Cowboy Beans that I am making a huge crock pot full to take to the pot-luck Sunday. I'll get the meat all cooked up on Saturday so I can just micro it to warm it up a tad from being in the fridge all night. Then all the other ingredients can go in the pot and be plugged in here to heat and get oooooo so good. Will can come home and get it after services. Since we live next door it makes sense for us to just come home and get our goodies that way if others need to plug in something there will be that plug to use that we didn't. Somehow they didn't put in a lot of plugs in that basement but it sure has a nice kitchen and dining area down there. Y'll come. I have got to decide which building I want to start today. It will be for my collection so It will be one of my village patterns. I have been giving the ladies the Victorian one. All the same building but different colors.

JEAN That must be some character that you are dealing with now if the story is long. OH I am so glad you are getting out of there now. You don't need the agrivation that is coming down the pike to that place. Keep up your good work to volunteer the hospital gift shop though so you have a sense of purpose instead of just sorting and pitching.

DONNA FAYE & SUSAN What are the two of you up to this day?

Type at y'all later

Last edited by Maggie; 05-15-2009 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:43 PM   #13  

Afternoon gals! I had errands this morning and clean forgot to post. I hope all is well with all of you.

Please keep my nephew in your prayers. His name is Carey. He is about 18 months younger than Jay and he has had type 1 diabetes since he was 11. He has had some terrible things happen with it, but a couple days ago he went into a diabetic coma while driving and ping ponged off cars down a freeway in California. He caved in both sides of his car, lost 3 of the four wheels and they said when they went and looked at the car, the seat had completely turned backwards. My sister said they were amazed he came out of it alive as the car was a real mess. He broke his neck, shoulder, some ribs and had some internal injuries. They did get him up out of bed last night and with time he is going to be ok.

Jean: Did you see me wave at you about 5 minutes ago? I was watching WGN and Tom Skilling was doing the weather. All of a sudden he says something like "Here is what the weather looks like in Storm Lake Iowa," and showed the Storm Lake High School. I sent you a wave! lol

Maggie: I know your famous beans will be a hit as usual. My church specialty was always yeast rolls and chicken and noodles. I never got to make anything fun as they always wanted that! lol

Susan: Unbelievably, the dr told Jack that the Baptist Hospital organization set the rules on workmen's comp not the companies that used Baptist minor medical for workmen's comp. She changed his meds to something that doesn't work as well but makes you less sleepy and kept him on very light duty. She said corporate told her that if she had to put the person on extreme light duty but never give them time off! Sheesh!

Gotta go gals. Hope you have a splendid weekend. It is commissary for me tomorrow, oh what fun!
Faye
Old 05-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #14  

Good evening, ladies! Dare I say it - more rain but it is warmer.

This is my fourth time today to try to get on the website. I think they haven't worked out all the problems with the move yet. I didn't have trouble with any other site.

Nothing fun today, did some laundry, went to the chiroprator, and stopped at the $1 store and bread outlet.

Faye, I'm sorry they won't give Jack time off. Back pain is such a misery. Has he ever considered chiropratory? It has sure helped my neck paid a lot. I don't have it anymore. I've added your nephew to our prayer chain at church. I'm glad he will be alright.

Maggie, they usually let me bring the paper products or drinks. They know when they are well off!

Jean, just another reason to retire so you don't have to put up with the yahoos. That principal wouldn't get away with that stuff around here. The school board is not opposed to removing teachers and principals if there are enough complaints. This is a right to work state so unions don't have much power.

Here's a little fun to end the day.

This is Great...
How Much Weight Have You Lost?
Your weight loss =
1 pound = a Guinea Pig
1.5 pounds = a dozen Krispy Kreme glazed donuts
2 pounds = a rack of baby back ribs
3 pounds = an average human brain
4 pounds = an ostrich egg
5 pounds = a Chihuahua
6 pounds = a human skin
7.5 pounds = an average newborn
8 pounds = a human head
10 pounds= chemical additives an American consumes each year
11 pounds = an average housecat
12 pounds = a Bald Eagle
15 pounds = 10 dozen large eggs
16 pounds = a sperm whales brain
20 pounds = an automobile tire
23 pounds = amount of pizza an average American eats in a year
24 pounds = a 3-gallon tub of super premium ice cream
25 pounds = an average 2 year old
30 pounds = amount of cheese an average American eats in a year
33 pounds = a cinder block
36 pounds = a mid-size microwave
40 pounds = a 5-gallon bottle of water or an average human leg
44 pounds = an elephants heart
50 pounds = a small bale of hay
55 pounds = a 5000 BTU air conditioner
60 pounds = an elephants penis (lol)
66 pounds = fats and oils an average American eats in a year
70 pounds = an Irish Setter
77 pounds = a gold brick
80 pounds = the Worlds Largest Ball of Tape
90 pounds = a newborn calf
100 pounds = a 2 month old horse
111 pounds = red meat an average American eats in a year
117 pounds = an average fashion model (and shes 5 11?!)
118 pounds = the complete Encyclopedia Britannica
120 pounds = amount of trash you throw away in a month
130 pounds = a newborn giraffe
138 pounds = potatoes an average American eats in a year
140 pounds = refined sugar an average American eats in a year
144 pounds = an average adult woman
150 pounds = the complete Oxford English Dictionary
187 pounds = an average adult man
200 pounds = 2 Bloodhounds
235 pounds = Arnold Schwarzenegger
300 pounds = an average football lineman
400 pounds = a Welsh pony

Have a good night.
Old 05-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #15  

Happy Friday, Flowers! We've had rain and sunshine today. It has gotten cooler again; they are talking frost for Sunday night. It was nice not having the seniors in the halls today. There were a few around this afternoon trying to finish up some projects, but most of them were gone.

Maggie -- The situation at school is about a girl who is 17, labeled BD because of her temper, and her parents don't want her. She has lived with her brother and/or friends for the past 2 years. She got caught smoking and came to a basketball game drunk so is on the activity code violation list which means she can't participate nor attend any school events for a year. She is in the orchestra and chorus and appealed the violation, so she could play/sing for graduation, but was overruled by the administration. She doesn't hesitate to tell anyone, student or adult, what she is thinking and often in inappropriate language. Anyhow, we get along and she had confided in me that she is drinking every day and admits to having thoughts about doing something "dumb" but won't elaborate. She has been sent away for evaluation in mental health and they sent her back home again. She has taken the alcohol classes. DHS has stepped in but can find nothing wrong in the home when they searched it. I'd like to take a ball bat to her mother and tell her dad what I think of him as a parent. She pulls honor roll grades and works almost full time as a server in the "fancy" restaurant on the lake. Today she was having her wisdom teeth out and I asked her who was going to driver her home. She looked surprised and said, "no one." I explained that since she would have had anesthesia they wouldn't let her drive herself home. So do I betray her and turn her in or do I hope that by being a good example she will come around? She hangs out with the wrong kind of kids. I know if I offered to let her move in here, she would; she has mentioned that I could adopt her. I know she wouldn't like my house rules so it wouldn't last long. I worry about her!

"Gma" -- I hope that Jack is feeling better even if he has to show up for work. The "no work" ruling is dumb imo! That is scary about your nephew! I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Susan -- The weight chart was good! Thanks! I think Ernie weighs more than the average cat though. I should weigh us and find out.

Bob has a doozey of a chest/head cold. He gets started coughing and can't quit. I wanted him to go to the doctor today but he didn't so guess I will have to listen to him all weekend. I hope I don't catch it because I don't have time to be sick next week.

Hope you all have a great weekend! I'm hoping to get caught up around here.

Jean -- from Iowa!