South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-14-2009, 07:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 205/195/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Central PA SBD Friendly Restaruant Help!!

Hey all.
My mom (who is also trying to follow SB) is trying to take our family out for dinner tomorrow night, but I don't know where we should go that has SB friendly meal options. Can anyone give me any suggestions? I'd really appreciate it!!
blondiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 07:08 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I live in central PA (state college)...where town are you trying to go to? What kind of cost?
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:01 AM   #3  

Near Harrisburg (so I guess that's south central -- my bad). We have a bunch of chain restaurants, and there are kids coming so nothing uber-fancy.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:05 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

I don't know about that particular area, but in general I stay away from Italian and Chinese because I can rarely find good options there. Steak houses are great and there is usually a salad bar. You can always get fajitas without tortillas or with ww tortillas at Mexican. Most of the chain places will have decent salad entrees, though you may have to ask for without croutons, etc.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:12 AM   #5  

Do they have a texas steakhouse? When I was on Phase II, that was the first restaurant meal I really enjoyed!! (I can eat a salad at home!)

I'm too far from Harrisburg...sorry, can't help!
Old 05-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #6  

oh it's ok you guys were a lot of help! I go to school in State College, so I know the restaurant scene up there is much more diverse. We do have some steakhouses and such so I think I might do a steak or try some fajitas minus the rice and tortillas. Are refried beans a no? I'm not sure because regular beans are ok, but I don't know what they put in them to make them "refried."
Old 05-14-2009, 08:23 AM   #7  
No longer super size!!!

S/C/G: 282/ticker/190

Height: 6' 0"

If there's a Carrabba's nearby, they have quite a few SBD friendly options...my favorites are the chicken marsala and the grilled chicken caesar salad.
grneyedmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:15 AM   #8  

I think they just built one last year or the year before, I might have to try it!
Old 05-14-2009, 09:27 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Definitely ask what's in the beans because some places will use lard.
Schmoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 AM   #10  

Ah, I miss State College! I grew up there! (Still go back often- right now getting ready for the summer People's CHoice Festival- same time as arts fest, but w/ PA artists- this will be my 5th year selling- love it!)
I'm in Gettysburg but have been up w/ a friend in Harrisburg often. There are a lot of national chain places all around that area.
Ruby Tuesday has options (They will readily swap out the potatoes for other veggies if you ask.) In downtown HArrisburg there's Gingerbread Man- I went there once and just took the bun off my chicken sandwich. (I was NOT in the mood for a salad!)
My brain is frozen or I would think of more!
wonderlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:10 PM   #11  

I think they have a macaroni grill in Harrisburg - which has fantastic salads. However, the bread they put in front of you is deadly!! Hard to resist!!

I LOVE State college!! What do you sell Wonderlin? State College is like living in a little bubble...I love it!!
Old 05-14-2009, 01:47 PM   #12  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Many chains have websites that list ingredients and/or nutritional info. I've found most places are pretty accommodating too. I once ordered a steak mushroom melt without the steak at Friendly's (before SBD).

One thing about Chinese - most restaurants have a healthy section of steamed items without sauces.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:41 PM   #13  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Blondie, are you on Phase 1? I highly recommend avoiding eating out in Phase 1. It's just wayyyy too easy to end up eating some sugar without even knowing it and sending yourself back to the beginning. If you have to eat out, I'd try Ruby Tuesday's and stick with the salad bar (your own dressing from home) and perhaps a plain chicken breast or steak with a side of veggies. They're a really safe place for anyone on SBD, even in Phase 1, as long as you're really careful and tell the server what you need.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #14  

thanks for the heads up beachgal. Yea I'm on phase one, so far with really good results!! Hopefully that keeps up.