Old 05-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #1  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

Default Mini Vacation ** whiney-ness warning**

Ok so i know this is going to come across whiney ( i apologize in advance )

but ive worked really hard to lose some weight and 26 pounds later i look exactly the same no one has noticed and my clothes fit exactly the same ( is this even possible ?? )

to boot next week my husband is taking me on a mini vacation to canada to visit some of his family who he hasnt seen in a long time ( and who ive never seen ) of the family members i do know ... they comment on my weight and ask some ( what i consider to be ) rude questions im sure this family will be no different and i really wanted to look a little better for the trip and i dont i feel awful , and i really dont want to go on this trip ..... i just feel horrible
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 318/294/Healthy

Height: 5'8

No advice just wanted to say *Hugs* Hope you feel better soon! Go and enjoy yourself and try not to worry but I know its easier said than done.
And Congrats on 26lbs that is AMAZING
LookingForMeAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/245/140

Height: 63inches

First, Congratulations on your weight loss! I know you feel a whole lot better. Go on your trip and walk tall! You are taking care of you and people will notice because you can walk with your head high, knowing you have and will lose the weight. Go and enjoy your trip and enjoy being with your husband!
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 275/245/140

Height: 63inches

I almost forgot to add something! I know how you feel. I am going on a trip to San Diego the end of this month and seeing a family member I haven't seen a many years. I had wanted to be down 50-60 pounds by now! I'm not BUT I am healthier and feel better and am determined to enjoy my trip! No longer will my weight stop me from enjoying my life!!!
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #5  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

IMHO, the most important part of your appearance is your attitude and that is true if you are tall or short, fat or thin.

Walk in like you own the joint, be open and happy to meet these people and let your humor, intelligence and generous spirit shine through. Decide in advance how to handle overly-nosey questions and use that in a calm, consistent manner. Be more interested in them than in you --- they probably will be, too!

Life keeps happening and doesn't wait until we are 25 pounds lighter or at goal or only when our hair looks perfect or whatever; how do you want to handle that inescapable fact?
Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #6  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Hi there!
I understand how difficult it is to be busting your butt working hard and seeing results but not getting any recognition for them.
The same happened to me. I started at 244lbs and noone noticed a change until I hit 200lbs. And since my pants were very, VERY tight at 244lbs, they still fit at 200lbs. So if nothing changes, then why bother?
Well, here are some things to think about:
First, you MUST be feeling better. So don't let the idle chitchat about your appearance negatively affect you. You HAVE to let it slide off your back and just keep in mind the big picture.
Second, you have to think of your body like a new roll of paper towels. If you have a new roll of, say, 300 sheets of paper towels, and you pull off 25 towels, the roll will look pretty much the same. BUT if that roll of paper towels only has 150 towels left, and I take away 25 towels, that will be one almost used-up small roll left over. This is why noone has really noticed.
SO, if you stick with it and keep at it and just be stubborn about it, people WILL notice when you get small enough for everyone to see the difference.
Just have faith in yourself and your program, and things will work out just fine...and carry yourself with PRIDE for having the courage to start this journey...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 05-13-2009 at 09:16 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

I completely understand how you feel. I have only lost one size since I weighed 270. That is almost a 50 pound loss! The bigger I am, the more weight I have to lose for it to become noticeable (which is fine by me, because I hate attention from anyone other than my very close friends and family). I am wearing the same jeans that I wore when I weighed 250 pounds! But just recently, within the last 10 pounds or so, I have noticed a huge difference in how my clothes fit, how I feel, and how I look! So, just keep going, be patient, and it will happen sooner than you think!

I also know how you feel about dreading trips. I don't have a lot of advice except to maybe focus on what you have accomplished and know in your heart that you are doing something healthy for yourself, and no one else matters!

Last edited by Sunrose; 05-13-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Sunrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:35 AM   #8  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I sympathize. I'm 36 down (this time) and no-one has noticed; no-one has commented anyway. And it's only in the last pound or so that some of my clothes have become too big.

What helps me, even among people making unhelpful comments, is deliberately keeping to myself the fact that I am on a programme, I hug to myself the knowledge that I'm XXlbs lighter than the last time they saw me/since I started my programme, and I can be really happy on the inside that I'm in transition, I feel like I'm a chrysalis on its way to butterfly-dom, and if they can't see it, sucks to them, I 'm going to do it anyway.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

I know how you feel because it wasn't until I was at least 40 lbs down that it was something for other people/clothes to notice.

But you know, here's some extra motivation for you to stay on track: When it does come to become something that impacts you and your clothes, it comes hard. I was talking about this with my husband the other day and he commented on how big a difference the last 2 months made. It's true -- I think the last 16 or so pounds that I've lost made a more notable difference than the first 55.

Those intial losses set the base, then the further you go, the lower changes make such a difference!

It's hard where you are, I think, to keep going when you feel you're not getting gratification yet. But hang in there because there's so much in store for you.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:20 PM   #10  
Happy Camper

S/C/G: 274/264/220 then re-eval

Height: 6'2"

You've been given some awesome advice here, i can't think of anything to add... i just wanted to tell you to keep your chin up. You are doing this for YOU and no one can take that away. Be proud of YOU regardless of your size and have fun!
barefootnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #11  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

It's hard I know. Until I lost like 50 lbs NO ONE noticed and that was so hard for me. I'll be honest? I started just telling people... out of the blue
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #12  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

i almost started to cry when i read some of the encouragement written here .... i feel so understood here .... ive been feeling so down in the dumps these days this really cheered me up .... i feel better about going on the trip the support here .... just cant be beat .... i dont think such motivation can even be purchased ......

THANK YOU .... all of you
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #13  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I DO have a paypal account....

Seriously, hold your head high, be proud of your accomplishments and be firm in your committment to feeling and presenting your best.

Let us know how the trip goes!

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 05-14-2009 at 04:16 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:20 PM   #14  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

Also, you can bet that even if people aren't noticing the shrinking, they will have noticed the change in attitude, increase in energy, and probably think that you're looking good in your clothes.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 213/169/150

Height: 5'5"

Thing is that even if people notice, some people will not say much because they are afraid of offending you. Secondly, don't fret too much about the clothes. My clothes aren't also falling off me yet. I have to wear a belt with one of my pants, but the reality was that they were tight when I started this journey, and now, they are fitting better and borderline getting loose. But to be honest with you.. I wore these clothes at 170 lbs, and I wore them at 213 lbs.. I wore them through my pregnancy too. Some clothes are just like that.

I agree with the previous posters about attitude.. its all about what you project.. if you walk around with the attitude that no one can put you down.. most people will be kind to you.

And don't worry about the Canadian relatives.. most Canadians are really nice.

Have a great trip!
paperSkin is offline   Reply With Quote