Goal! Have you reached your goal? Share your success story and celebrate your victory!

Old 05-11-2009, 03:15 AM   #1  
-100 pounds

S/C/G: 270/170/180

Height: 5'10

Default 100 pounds lost!

If you would like to know more on how I did it you can read my blog. It's more detailed in some ways. My reasoning for posting this and not just copy pasting is becuase I think a lot of people know the physical aspect of dieting. As in we know not eating as much, or eating this over that will help your goal. Something I wanted to make this post about is the inside, and mental game that I struggled with and feel I won at in the end.

Growing up I was a "normal" skinny boy. I played baseball, basketball, and soccer. Around age twelve I started racing BMX bicycles. I hit puberty and it all went down hill. Around the same time I got addicted to computer video games and sat on my butt all day after school. I quit BMX, and stopped playing any sport. Bad idea when my body was growing. Instead of growing up, and in a healthy way. I gained weight fast and before I knew it I was at 220 pounds and was only 5'5. By my freshmen year of high school I was nearly 270 and 5'9.

This made me depressed because I never thought I would become the "fat kid". Even my friends made fun of me. This includes my BEST friend as well. I couldn't stand my life. I was depressed for sure, but not suicidal. I had to have a pass to get to class because I couldn't walk fast enough between classes. I couldn't run in gym class, and I for sure was picked up every single day. It got to the point where I was giving up on everything. All I wanted to do was hide behind my computer screen where I could be someone I wasn't. The idea of that felt like a high. Anything but ME was a good thing. Something I realized eventually and that was when I decided to change my ways.

From everyone including my family picking on me (not trying to help me lose weight, but literally picking on me for my weight problem), to my depression I knew in the back of my head if I lost my weight I would be happy. At first it was a physical thing. I remember thinking if I was skinny girls would talk to me and I might get a girlfriend. I don't think one girl talked to me my first two years in high school other than to copy off my paper because I was the smart kid. So I'll admit I did want to lose wieght for my looks. After weeks of thinking about it I connected that if I looked better I would feel better, and if I felt better, I would be happy, or at least content with reality. Which was all I wanted.

If you read my "about" page you will see I started the summer after my sophmore year. This is because during my sophmore year I tried SO hard to lose the weight. I did my best to eat better but no luck. I tried to include myself in gym class but couldn't get the nerves to do it. Everything I did WASNT working. I had no clue what was going on. There was a solid month I watched my diet, and actually was doing cardo daily. Yet I still didn't lose a pound. I knew I was doing something wrong. I just didn't know what. At the time I didn't know this because it just "clicked" inside of me but I learned its not just the act of losing weight that will make you successful but its your attitude, and drive that from my experience is everything.

When I tried losing weight and couldn't those few months I was missing something. That something was the desire to lose the weight. I wanted to lose weight. I was convinced I REALLY wanted to. Just my brain was still on "fat" mode so to speak. It was like my mind and body trully wanted to lose weight but ultimately my conscience wouldn't allow it. That day I said I "clicked" was the day I told myself "Joshua, do you really want to lose weight?". The answer might suprise you. I said no. I didn't want to go through the hunger pains, physical pains, stress, etc that a diet brings on folks. I didn't want to sacrifice the food I loved to eat. I didn't want to put effort in it what so ever. That's when I realized if I simply make myself want to change all those things and not worry about the results (the act of losing weight), I would ultimately lose weight. That point on it worked.

Once summer hit I had this strange drive, and motivation, and desire to lose weight. Something I never felt months earlier. Before I had a goal in mind but nothing else, and I had doubts. That summer I had absolutely no doubts in my mind I would fail. I had a goal in mind and I was going to fulfil it. When I got the urge to keep eating it would instantly go away. If I had the urge to get seconds, or sometimes thirds I instantly wouldn't. Which would have destroyed me and I would have given in. Every obsticle someone faces while on a diet I was jumping over. I just had this unknown passion inside me to help me along the way.
Joshua from eawc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:57 AM   #2  
starving artist

S/C/G: 161/157.2/135

Height: 5'7"

awesome. congrats on all the hard work. and i really believe in what you say about prioritizing your goals. i found that when i said that i needed to be a certain size or weight, i felt so hopeless and miserable when i couldn't reach it. but these days, i focus more on feeling good through the power of exercise and healthy eating, and i find that increases my well-being and self-worth rather than the stress of what size i am.
stellart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 01:04 AM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Okay..here it comes!

WOOT! WOOT! Way to do it! I can't wait to read your story.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 05-13-2009 at 01:05 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #4  
Mind over Body

S/C/G: 303/303/155

Height: 5'6"

Joshua,

What you are talking about really really speaks volumes to me. I think that is part of the reason I start, I stop, I start, I stop trying to change things. I have been overweight since 15. I am 32. I am so sick being the "fat" one amongst my friends. However, that is the problem. I have two people in me - one unsure, one gungho. I need to have a talk to the unsure me and really change my subconscious self.

Thanks for sharing.
chicadee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #5  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Smile Joshua Congratulations on your 100 LB Weight Loss!

Joshua Congratulations on your 100 LB Weight Loss! I'm glad you kept persisting and didn't give up when the weight wasn't coming off. It's inspiring to hear your story. Alot of times we just concentrate on the diet and exercise and forget about the attitude toward weight loss. Thank You for your story. It's made me realize I need to get the right mind set to help reach my goal.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 180/166.5/131

Height: 5'3

Congrats thats amazing!
mizmizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 200/???/149

Congrats!! I understand the idea of not wanting to lose weight... of course, we all say that we want to, but our actions don't follow our words. That is something I am working on now, actually doing instead of just saying. I hope I "click" soon too. I know that the mental makes all the difference, and you are proof.
SkinniVivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 11:48 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations Joshua! I am so impressed with your story. Figuring out all the mental and emotional stuff behind weight loss took me years. It's wonderful that you got control of it at such a young age. You should be very proud of yourself!
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 268/252/185

Height: 5'8

Congrats!! I'm so impressed..I will be reading more of your story to see how you did it!!
cutebear09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 12:42 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 360/357/150

Height: 5'7"

Wow you did a great job!! Congrats!
newself09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:56 PM   #11  
Can't Wait For The New Me

Height: 5 Feet 3 Inches

Wayy to go!!
iMrsCiCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #12  
Getting back on track!

S/C/G: 272/ticker/142

Height: 5'8

Congrats!
Tryingtostayskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Great job kid!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #14  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #15  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Congratulations and good for you!!

I can relate to what you wrote about the unknown click and drive within that 'showed up' one day, and about the desire being key to losing weight. For sure! I had the same experience a couple of summers ago.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote