Closed Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 04:54 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Talking Hallowe'en HiJinx

It's almost Hallowe'en and I was wondering...

What do you normally do on Hallowe'en?

What is your favorite Hallowe'en treat?

What was your most memorable Hallowe'en costume that you wore? (as an adult or a child, or both if you want to share)

Any fond memories or funny stories would be great too

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 10-16-2002 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:33 PM   #2  
Hot Stuff

Well, my anniversary (fourth this year) is on Hallowe'en, so it's usually dinner out somewhere.

Before I moved to Ontario, we made costumes (well, I did all the sewing with boisterous cheers and much applause from the friends who would sit and watch and hand me things as I needed them) and we would go out to a party at one or several of the bars, go to a legion dance, or a house party, whichever opportunity presented itself. We NEVER stayed home.

Since I've moved to Ontario, I haven't been out for Hallowe'en. Adults just don't seem to get into it here, or maybe it's more spread out than back home and I don't see it.

This year, though, my aunt and uncle are throwing a party on the 26th and I just got in from the fabric store after buying patterns for costumes. Hubby is going as King Arthur and I bought a renaissance dress pattern for the same period and will top it with a crown of some sort.

Favorite hallowe'en treat back in CB was taffy apples my grandmother's neighbor used to make. Mind you, I wouldn't accept unwrapped food from anyone I didn't know! The whole neighborhood used to make the long hike up that driveway to get a taffy apple....she must have made hundreds. Now I'll settle for little chocolate bars or bags of chips/cheesies. There's just something special about those little bags.

Most memorable costume I didn't wear, but I did make. My friend and I spent most of a night making a Pinhead (from the Hellraiser movies) mask...she sat with clay on her face for four hours until dried! We actually used small nails for the spikes all over his face, inserted from the back of the mask. That was freakin' dangerous! We didn't care, though.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:40 PM   #3  

Wildfire my mom used to make candle apples too! They were her Scottish recipe using boiled brown sugar and and some "ancient Scottish secrets". They came out hard like the red ones you buy at fairs. I should weasel her secrets out of her and make them someday

I love the pinhead costume! he is one of my favourite horror movie characters! That is amazing that you are sewing those costumes for you and your hubby!

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 10-16-2002 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-16-2002, 09:12 PM   #4  

Things I do on Hallowe'en:

Usually get dressed up and go to a party at a friend's place or a club. Last year we went to a horror movie. The year they released " The Nightmare Before Christmas" at Hallowe'en, about 10 of us got dressed up and went to see it at the theatre. You should have seen the looks we got

My favorite Hallowe'en treat was those horrible molasses candies dubbed "Candy Kisses". After Trick or Treating around the neighborhood, my friends and I would congregate at one person's place and dump our loot on the floor. Then we would proceed to trade each other. Everyone hated those Kisses and would give all of them to me and I didn't even have to trade for them Then I would spend the next week eating them until I got sick

Fave Kid costume:

When I was about 11 , three of us went out dressed as cats. We were all wearing leotards and dance stockings with either white spots or orange stripes on them and had cat ears and faces done with whiskers. We also had one mitten each. We would go up to people's houses and they would stare at us with a puzzled look on their face and ask what we were supposed to be. "We're the three little kittens who lost their mittens" we replied. They laughed their heads off and I'm sure we got extra candy for our silly humour

Fave adult costume(s):

I went out as Madame Butterfly wearing a 70's Asian style cocktail dress belonging to my Mum with full Geisha make up and wig.

Another year I went out wearing a 50's style black sheath cocktail dress with elbow length gloves, a black velvet pill box hat complete with veil, tons of big fake gaudy jewellery and carrying a metal urn and a fake will. When people asked what I was I told them I was a merry widow (yes, I know, I am a silly chick)

And yet another year I went out in a black floor length -tulle shrouded -strappy ball gown, a pair of silver gauzy wings sprayed with sparkles, and a silver wand.
My friend did "Mab, Queen of the Fairies"make up complete with red and silver sparkles and presto I was the "Scary Godmother" or "The Fairy Goth Mother" waving my evil magic wand to make all your nightmares come true, cackle cackle cackle....I kicked the tooth fairy's butt!

l Love Hallowe'en

Last edited by mauvaisroux; 10-16-2002 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:41 AM   #5  

Height: 5'-2"

You girls are too much for me. I just eat mini chocolate bars and lie on the floor in a stupor.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:07 AM   #6  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

S/C/G: 270/235/160

Height: 5'4"

Hey girls, that sounds like lots of fun. Wildfire, CB- does that stand for Cape Breton, NS.
I am at the other end of NS. Amherst
Virginia
Old 10-17-2002, 09:36 AM   #7  
Queen of China

a longggg time ago, I wore a cowboy hat, 8 button cowboy shirt, jeans, boots, rubber cleaning gloves, a toilet brush, and holster filled with cleaning supplies and went as John Waynes wife...but I am liberated now, he can clean his own damn toilet.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:07 AM   #8  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

My favorite costume was in 5th grade. My mom had this funky zebra floor length dress. It was sleeveless. She made a black felt hood and made a mane of black and white yarn. I wore full length black gloves and painted my face in zebra stripes. I was teased for being half and half. BUT EVEN THEN, I didn't give a damn what others thought. I was cooler than them all! My best friend was black and I was proud not to think about the bigotry.

I really don't care for Halloween now. Scary stuff bothers me. I will take the kids trick or treating then come home and light a candle and have a conversation with my late husband. He haunts his sister some, but never me. I keep trying to comunicate. There is so much I would like to tell him about.

Worst costume-At the time I loved it but days later... In 11th grade I went as a bunny. I had a fake pink fur jacket. Total cotton ball style. Pinned on a cotton tail, ears, turtle neck and leggings. I was as cute as a bug in a rug. But I was warm. Too warm. I got hives all over from over heating. I itched myself raw for days!!!!!
Old 10-17-2002, 01:05 PM   #9  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

I LOVE HALLOWEEN!!!!!!

Favorite costumes: When i was in college i went to a themed halloween party (come as a song title or musician) i went as "The Two of Us" and split myself down the middle. Different hair and makeup, jeans out on one side, tucked in boot on the other, different earrings and shawl over one shoulder. Some of the more altered people were a little freaked out. It looked pretty good and cost me nothing!!! The other was also in college. I went as a Hydrogen molecule. I had a big "H" on my shirt, and wore a headress that was the molecular structure of water. Another friend also went as hydrogen, and a third friend went as an Oxygen molecule. We just went around the party doing our own thing, but whenever we saw each other we would run together, pull out water guns and start spraying water all over the place!!!!

I used to make all my kids' costumes (even though i don't sew well.....the miracle of sweats and felt!!!), but after a while they wanted store bought!!!
Old 10-17-2002, 01:29 PM   #10  

Oh Mauvais.....

Thanks for this thread, I love this!

Lemme see......... Halloween has always been my favorite holiday! I guess that's why the Pagan thing really struck me! LOL

When I was a kid, we always had store bought costumes. I was usually a ghost or a princess and those masks! ooh they made your face sweat inside them!

Back in the old days, we used to give out homemade popcorn balls and bags of candy with candy corn and double bubble bubble gum and sweet tarts - but when I went to other people's houses I always hoped for Almond Joys

We would have parties at our house or other people's houses - apple dunking, hay rides, all that fun stuff.

When I was older, I went as one of the 3 Musketeers, a maple tree ( yes!) a pair of dice, big bird, hmmm maybe more.

Then years later we would go to parties at the local watering holes. Always so much fun.

Now I stay home and hand out candy to the little cuties who come to my door. My daughter has decided she's too old for trick or treating - so we may dress up as a couple witches ! LOL

I like to place luminaries on the steps leading up to the house - have spooky music playing in the background and all that

Terri
Old 10-17-2002, 01:58 PM   #11  
a brave new me...

Angry Halloween

Let's see... last year I was a ladybug and my husband was a bat (yep... the bat eats the bug). The year before we were both fabulous vampires with amazing costumes. The year before that we were this viking/road warrior couple... those were quite the outfits. We had breastplates and fur boots and skull armor on our shoulders and capes and bloody swords and axes and viking helmets.... what a sight we were! We usually go out to local dance clubs or to a friends' huge costume party. Lots of fun!

But I have to say that the BEST costume was when I first met my husband... he dressed up as a Chippendale and looked quite fabulous. He has the muscular and fit body to pull it off plus he looks exactly like Rob Lowe (no kidding). Girls were shoving dollar bills down his pants all night! Of course this was when he was young and foolish and single. How I ended up with a hunk like him, I have no idea.

Last edited by Sojourner; 10-17-2002 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:06 PM   #12  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

Sojo I am sure he was equally as blessed to end up with a hot chick such as yourself. I love hearing all of your Halloween stories, I once went out as a giant condom, that is as weird as I ever got. Handed out Trojans to all the guys and gals who asked. It was fun but hot too!
Virginia
Old 10-19-2002, 09:07 AM   #13  

hi all ! i just wanted to tell ya'll about about one of my sons first halloweens , he had a little speech problem instead of trick or treat (he couldnt say his ts ) he said fukr feet ... he wa asked to say it over and over again!!! and he would tell people his daddy had a big fuk too!!! i mean a big truck............ hope this wasnt too bad i dont wanna get in trouble

i also love halloween!!!
Old 10-19-2002, 09:25 AM   #14  
Losing Lbs/Finding Me

Bobbi
That is funny! How old is your son now? I bet he will be teased about that as he gets older
Virginia
Old 10-19-2002, 09:47 AM   #15  
Hot Stuff

Mauvais, Pinhead and the Hellraiser bunch are my favorite, too. I've tried making caramel apples from the kits in the grocery store, but they are too soft....not taffy enough.

I may go as a widow myself the way hubby is behaving. I swear he woke up just to ***** at me.

Virginia, yes, CB is Cape Breton.

There are some great costume ideas here. What a creative bunch we have!

I better get my behind to the fabric store and start creating....three costumes to make this week!
Closed Thread