Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Default spaghetti squash

I tried spaghetti squash for the first time tonight. It turned out ok, I think I was expecting the texture of real spaghetti and mines turned out more crunchy. I mixed it with some other vegetables and fresh basil and some low fat cheese. I used the microwave, not sure if that mattered. Is it possible to get it more to a noodle texture? Any low calorie recipes to share?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/261/135

Height: 5'2"

The only way I have ever had spaghetti squash is baked with butter and brown sugar and it was good. Not healthy but good.lol.
angiemo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:33 PM   #3  

ive only baked my spaghetti squash, it still has a little crunch but i imagine its softer when baked. texture still isnt 100% pasta by any stretch. but i think it works! i love to look at the bowl and see like 5 servings of veggies in front of me its such a healthy meal!

ive never tried these, but ive read several times that they serve as a pasta substitute fairly well.
partypantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiemo3 View Post
The only way I have ever had spaghetti squash is baked with butter and brown sugar and it was good. Not healthy but good.lol.
that does sound good...if I wasn't on the weight loss path I would be trying that out, and maybe add some cinnamon on it. Most of the recipes I found online use alot of butter.

partypantalones, I was surprised how much "strands" I was able to scrape out.. and I bought a smaller squash since I wasn't sure how'd I like it. I had to find a bigger bowl while scraping it out. If I can find some good recipes for it, it can be very economical stretching it out over a few meals. Now I get when people talk about low calorie foods in high volumes to fill up... this would be one of those foods to eat and eat when I feel very hungry!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:53 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 225/178.5/135

Height: 5'3

I prefer my squash squishy and it's not crunchy when I make it. It does, however, take a LONG time to bake if you want it softer. Put butter and brown sugar in the middle of it and it will take a shorter amount of time. Not a healthy way to eat it, really, but we don't have it often.
Bumbleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #6  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 159.8/149.0/130

Height: 5'6 1/2"

If you just cook it longer it will get more soft, but I don't think it will ever have the same consistency as noodles. I make this as I would make any other spaghetti! It's soo good. My first time making i went to Allrecipes.com and typed in spaghetti squash, found a spicy spaghetti squash recipe, and that is how i make it every time now, sooo good...may need to add more tomato sauce to make it more saucy, but soo good. Search on Spicy Spaghetti Squash at allrecipes, it should be the first one to appear with a picture...YUM
DanSinDeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I had the most phenomenal spaghetti squash last night. I bake it to death, till it's very soft.

I then made a great mix to serve with it. Tons of zucchini, button mushrooms, onions, garlic and stewed tomatoes. I seasoned it with crushed red pepper, black pepper and a little salt. It was sooooo good. And sooo filling.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 383/383/373/150

Height: 5'4"

I put a bit of olive oil or the oil spray in the bottom of my baking dish or pan and cut the spagetti squash in half, scoop out the seeds and then place it cut sides down onto the dish. Then cook it till its the texture you like. I cook mine till it shreds easily with a fork into spagetti like shreads and feels "al denti" in my mouth. The longer you cook it the softer it will get. Cooking it cut side down helps it steam as it roasts so it doesn't dry out or take as long. Turn it over, use a fork to shred the inside into "spagetti" and toss out the thick "hull". We love it. Top with your favorite sauce, veggies, etc. Good luck!

Last edited by jusfluffy; 05-30-2009 at 03:13 PM.
jusfluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #9  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

Well this isn't very noodly... but steamed cauliflower with spaghetti meat sauce, I'm a big fan of.
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote