Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2002, 07:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Female bodybuilding-Vedral/McLish/BFL/Prickett

Wanting any ladies who are doing female weight training to join on in to talk-strength training programs such as Joyce Vedral, Rachel McLish, Charlene Prickett, or Body For Life followers!
Let's talk losing fat and gaining sexy muscles!
Aphil
Old 10-14-2002, 04:29 PM   #2  

I would love to have that body. I am a mesomorph body type so I already gain muscle really quick. Let me know what these chat will entail.
Old 10-14-2002, 04:38 PM   #3  

We can talk about anything-what workout videos are great for this-what exercises we are doing, etc.
Most women don't want to spend the time doing all the sets and reps, they just want a little tone, so this chat would be more for those who work out a bit more seriously.
Aphil
Old 10-14-2002, 05:18 PM   #4  

I have been know to lift a little much. My husband likes to embarass me by telling people how strong I am. I guess I should take that as a complement. I have been lifting seriously for about 5 years. I am not a ripped little woman by any means. I think I have a fairly good grasp on the lift aspect though.
Old 10-14-2002, 05:19 PM   #5  

You can count me in on anything like this!
Old 10-15-2002, 11:04 PM   #6  

Sweet-right now I mix up my routines a bit, I do full body strength training 3 days a week, alternating routines from Rachel McLish, Charlene Prickett, Joyce Vedral, and some Body For Life workouts. I do my cardio on Tuesdays and Thursdays-usually walking or bellydancing.
If you like doing free weights with a video, I recommend In Shape with Rachel McLish-you just need some dumbells and a weight bench.
Aphil
Old 10-16-2002, 12:06 AM   #7  

Hi I have been doing the firm work out tape with weights Have you looked in to those tape? I love the fact that they use free weights and cardo together. I sure seen my body change from using them. I do the cross trainer videos and feel great after I am done them. I was happy to see that from the muscle that I have put on that the past weekend when I was not at home I did not put any weight back on. I guess that all the muscle train that I do pays off.
Tanya
Old 10-16-2002, 09:09 AM   #8  

I have seen some of the Firm tapes-I like to do a little more with my upper body, but they have some GREAT moves with the box for your buns!
Old 10-16-2002, 10:30 AM   #9  

I am not a real tape person. I love free weights. I used to be alittle scared of them. I thought that I would hurt myself. Now when I get sore I actually like it. Weird huh?
I have lots of diffrent things that I do for each body part. I started a library for myself so that I can change it up when I need to.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:51 PM   #10  
cac

Hi,

Last week I have recommitted myself to my workout program. I had to stop last spring for foot problems. I work out 3 times a week with free weight. I developed my exercise routine from looking at various books and web site. I am focusing on form.

cc
Old 10-17-2002, 02:57 PM   #11  

Yes, form is really important. I have a library of moves from books by different women bodybuilders, and BFL, but now and then I use a tape. I try to steer away from aerobics tapes with the toning segments in them, and try to focus on more "serious" sculpting tapes if I use them.
I do 3 sets of 12 for my chest, back, shoulders,biceps, triceps, and calves exercises, and I do 3 sets of 24 for thighs and buttocks exercises.
I usualy have anywhere from 5-10 different exercises for each body part I CAN do, and choose 4 of each for each workout, to change things up a bit-like one day I may do butterflies and presses (both flat and incline) for my chest, and the next time I may do flyes and a couple others...it makes things more interesting for me. There are only so many for the calves, so it stays pretty much the same each time though.
When I was weight training after I had my daughter, I ended up weighing less and being smaller than before I had her, I am working on doing it again now-I had a son a year ago.
Old 10-18-2002, 08:47 AM   #12  

I LOVE seeing ladies that are as excited about weight-lifting as I am! I have only been doing it for about 4 months now. The greatest thing to me was that I felt my energy increase from the very beginning ... and after about 2 months I started feeling a real change in my muscles, my attitude and my desire to keep going.

I alternate my routine every couple of weeks. I've done some Joyce Vedral tapes; I take Sculpting classes at the gym; I've followed some routines from the Body Sculpting Bible for Women; and I'm getting ready to try developing a routine on the machines at the gym.

This is the first time in a lot of years that I've started on a weight loss program and actually believed that I would be able to stick with it and achieve my goal!

Pen
255/220/150ish
Old 10-19-2002, 09:10 PM   #13  

Pen,
I know you can do it this time! The biggest keys are to strengthen your body with weight training, do some mild aerobic exercise like walking a couple times a week, and to learn to eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and veggies, and modest portions of the rest. I even allow myself small treats now and then, but it is a coupe Hershey Kisses instead of a full size Snickers-just learning to have a treat in a small portion, and to keep up the exercise.
You are so right about feeling more energetic! I used to have a ton of back pain-I had two pregnancies 2 years apart, and had pretty large babies (9lb4oz and 10lb4oz) so my back muscles were strained from being extremely misaligned, and my abs very weak and stretched out...it ached all of the time-and since I have started doing ab work and back strength exercises, the pain has been cut in half. I hope to have everything in my middle strong and pain free over the next year!
Weight training does a world of good!
Old 11-01-2002, 10:42 AM   #14  
Doin' it this time

S/C/G: 208.8/208.8/145

Default Help

Wow am I glad I found this thread. I am fairly a beginner when it comes to weightlifting but want to kick it up a bit. How do you split your trainning days??? I don't want to do upper one day lower the next because of time issues I would like to split up my body parts so that I can do more exercises per part. ANy help would be appreciated.
Old 11-01-2002, 01:37 PM   #15  

I do not split my parts, I do total body Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, with my cardio and dance lessons on the other days of the week-but my mother and stepfather do a split routine. (My stepfather is a former competitive badybuilder)
They weight train 6 days a week, and take Sunday off to rest.
Monday-chest and triceps
Tuesday-back and biceps
Wednesday-shoulders and lower body
Thursday-chest and triceps
Friday-back and biceps
Saturday-shoulders and lower body
they do the entire lower body on one day, because they do only a few combination exercises. (exercises that work more than one muscle) They do lunges-works buns and thighs, squats-works quadriceps (front of thighs) hamstrings (back of thighs) and buns, and plies-works buns and inner thighs. They also do calf raises for the lower legs on the lower body days.
Abdominals can be worked every day, or only certain days-you choose.
I suggest on the chest/tri and back/bi days, that you work your chest and back muscles first, and then your arms. The days are split the way that they are because doing rows and lat pulldowns, and other back exercises also work your biceps a little bit, and doing chest presses and such puts a bit into yout triceps-so you do not want to fatihue your arm muscles and then try to do the larger muscle group exercises.
Hope that helps!
Aphil
Closed Thread