Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #1  
Persevere! You can!

S/C/G: 234/178/134

Height: 5'5"

Default Alli?

Hi, I'd be really interested to hear people's opinions and experiences with Alli. It just got approved without prescription over here in the UK and today I had my first day on it. Quite frankly, I've eaten better today than I have....possibly in my entire life. I usually work on a binge/starve rotation, but today I ate three good, nutritious meals, with one or two healthy snacks in between.

So far I've had none of the dreaded 'treatment effects' and I just think (and excuse my crudeness) but the fear of ****ting myself has made me relax and not eat a whole bunch of rubbish. At about 4 o'clock (which is my big downfall time) I had a chocolate mousse. Usually, I wouldn't have been able to just have one, and would have probably had three, maybe even four. But I ate it slowly, savouring each mouthful, and you know what? That was all I needed!

I know it's early days, but I honestly feel like this may be a big changearound for me, and this might just be the thing that does it! I know it's expensive, and it's a lot of money for something that the main effect seems to be forcing me to get my *** in gear, but if it allows me to eat like this on a permanent basis, it's been worth every penny.
georgiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #2  
on my way to satisfaction

S/C/G: 245/230/160

Height: 5'6"

i Have been on Alli now for 16 days.. THis is my second round with it. I am down 9 pounds since April 19th. I totally love Alli. It Does work and i am so glad for it.

As far as side effects, it does happen. I actually on had one "real" treatment effect issue and the only reason i believe i had it was because of the TOM thing going on.

you will see Treatment effects when you go the bathroom, usually an orangish color. It actually floats on top of the water ( sorry not trying to be gross here) it is the oil that your body didnt obsorb. It is actually pretty cool i think.

Any way i love it and i have noticed when i exercise with it the weight comes off faster..

Good luck to you i hope that it is something that you like....
Shannon1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #3  

It will work because it makes you have consequences for bad eating habits- which isn't a bad thing! I did have a few accidents one in the night time!!!...it is not for everyone- be careful, be prepared and eat healthy!
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

Key things to remember about Alli is that you only have treatment effects if you eat too much fat grams in one meal. If you follow the plan you have success without #$@(ing yourself! Novel idea huh?

So track like crazy, basically for me it made me be accountable. I am not using it right now, only because I am working on getting my metabolism straitenend out, and that is my primary focus. I will be using Alli again though.

What makes me sad is the people that think you should expect and put up with treatment effects......or that think it is OK to have Pizza, they will just stay close to the bathroom for a day or so.....that is abusing the medication.
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/230/150

Height: 5'2"

I tried it a year ago. When my I got my bloodwork done my liver was going wacky. Stopped Alli immediately and everything is great now. Just be aware it can affect your liver.
Razorcandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

hey... I was wondering, Alli isn't an appetite suppressant, it just blocks fat, correct? So how does it work? You can over eat on carbs and sugar proteins and still have low fat grams but your calories can still go over? And what if you eat alot of healthy fats, like have olive oil on your salad, fish, etc... then you have the side effects?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:14 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 345/282/200

Height: 5'8"

I have been on Alli for 5 months and it works two ways for me. It helps me lose more weight than if I didn't use it and also it keeps me on track most of the time from fear! LOL!

Seriously I did have mild treatment effect when I didn't behave dietetically in the beginning but after a few months I believe I am immune to the effects.

I works if you follow the directions (read the little books that come with it!).

Also I don't know if you can still get them but I bought the Alli Book at the Dollar Store for a dollar and it has helped me tremendously!

flatiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:59 AM   #8  
Baker's Daughter

S/C/G: 179/142/136

Height: 5' 4"

I bought some from Superdrug (England) not knowing about the BMI of 28 rule (my BMI is about 25). I take them anyway, following the instructions but I'm not sure they're doing much.

As they block fat i think you'd need your calories to be made up of fatty foods for them to do anything.

They'd be handy if you're going out for a meal and can't avoid fat, like a mexican or a chinese but I think you'd be better of spending your money on a supplement like Acai Berry or Goji Berry which speed up metabolism, make you're and hair glow and keeps you healthy.

On the subject of 'accidents'; have done some interesting poos but never actually shat myself. Yet.
MoonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 06:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonGirl View Post
They'd be handy if you're going out for a meal and can't avoid fat, like a mexican or a chinese but I think you'd be better of spending your money on a supplement like Acai Berry or Goji Berry which speed up metabolism, make you're and hair glow and keeps you healthy.
Sorry but this is when Alli should NOT be taken. The idea is to avoid the effects not encourage them. If I was going out then I'd either still eat low fat and take one or not bother at all.

I can honestly say that I've never had any major treatment effects. Never not got to the bathroom on time and never seen 'orange oil'. The worst its got for me was a bad gas and soft stools.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #10  
There is no spoon!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/160

Height: 5/9

You know Alli is how I found this site. While doing a google search I found a thread in these forums..and I've been hooked ever since.

I'm still quite interested in Alli but for one reason...because I think it will keep me honest. I don't eat a lot of fat, so I'm not sure if this product would even be useful for me. At the end of the day all it does is block fat..right? It doesn't give you energy or anything like that..right? I guess my question would be is Alli worth taking if you are already on a pretty good, low-fat diet?
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:21 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

I've been wondering about this too. I've been thinking about it. Perhaps I'll give it a go too...
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #12  
Persevere! You can!

Yeah, it isn't an appetite suppressant, all it does is block about a quarter of the fat you eat. But if you eat too much fat, it blocks too much and you end up with the notorious side effects! So not only does it stop that quarter of the fat you eat from being absorbed, it gives you a damn good reason not to eat crap! So for example last night I was feeling hungry I didn't have chocolate and instead had some fruit, because I knew if I had the chocolate I would have been on the toilet for an hour! I don't think I would have had that strength without Alli. So in my opinion it works as a bit of a willpower booster as well as helping you lose more weight than you might on your own.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:44 PM   #13  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

lol my friend took Alli and then went out that night to one of those like medieval times places and pigged out and totally regretted it cuz she had like raging you know what afterwards lol.

I thought it was supposed to make it so you don't absorb some of the fat you eat but if you eat too much fat it'll make you have the runs.

Scare you into eating right is the gist I got from it
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:49 PM   #14  
Persevere! You can!

But I think it's a good thing to be honest, because it's teaching me the right things! If all it did was block the fat you ate, you would eat more fat because you could get away with it, lose the weight, but gain it all back once you were off it.

Whereas because if you eat rubbish you'll get the nasty side effects, you learn to discipline yourself, you're allowed everything, as long as you limit yourself, and you have to eat nutritiously to make sure you're still going to feel healthy. I think it's amazing.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:03 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

what if you eat a food with good fats? like a piece of fish or some flax seed oil? does it block good fats from your body?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote