Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 05-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Smile Shocking realization....

I enjoy broccoli more then cookies!

I know! It's crazy, but it's the truth!

Yesterday I made a huge tray of roasted broccoli before I left to work. Of course I had to have a nibble and thought, "man this is good, I think I'll throw caution to the wind and veer off plan a little and take some to work." How adventurous am I?

I get to work. I couldn't hold out. The broccoli was calling my name. And I answered. I had it almost right away. There were about 8 nice sized stalks in there. They were the perfect consistency. A cross between melt in your mouth, but still with a little crunch to it. Oh and the flavors - perfection - nailed the amounts - chili powder, cumin, onion and garlic powders and a touch of salt. It was really, really good. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. And I got to thinking. Not sure why, but it just popped into my little head. Imagine if I had just downed 8 cookies? I'd be in a sugar stupor. I would have totally shot my calorie budget, gained weight for sure and been completely and totally p*%*#d at myself. Oh the guilt and that horrible "why the heck did I do that for" feeling. But no, I ate that (off plan) broccoli - enjoyed the heck out of it - and had ZERO guilt. ZERO. Was totally satisfied. Got some good nutrients in there. All is good.

I could not say that if I had just eaten 8 cookies. Or even 4. Or less.

So then I start to think some more - okay - I enjoyed it immensely, but does it actually taste better then cookies???? One of my all time favorites.

Now keep in mind, I haven't had a cookie in a while. I've been POP for about 3 weeks now. Even longer then that since I had an actual cookie. So, of course, my wants for cookies (& other sweets) is again at a low. But never the less, could it be that broccoli - broccoli - actually TASTES better to me then cookies? Cookies?

I can't decide. They're completely different tastes.

Whether in the end I should decide that cookies do taste better then broccoli, it doesn't change the fact that I enjoy the broccoli more. Much more.

I've said it soooo many times, that I really love the foods that I'm eating now. Because I do. But more then cookies? Isn't that cool?

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-07-2009 at 04:47 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Way to ROCK IT! They don't call you Rockin' Robin for nuttin'!

The broccolli sounds very good. If you get the chance can you just quickly post how you do them. The crowns were on sale this week and I have a ton of it in fridge.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #3  
Happy Camper

S/C/G: 274/264/220 then re-eval

Height: 6'2"

Oooh, i hope you share that recipe, it sounds wonderful!
This is quite an achievement --- i guess your taste buds are changing.

I, for the first time in my life, chose crudites and hummus over pudding. I had calories to spare for my late snack and i actually WANTED the veggies and hummus! Wonders never cease, huh?
barefootnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #4  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Yay! I'll have to try your broccoli recipe. My veggie weakness is roasted asparagus. I spray the pan with cooking spray, put the asparagus on it, spray the asparagus with cooking spray, and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. I will eat an entire bunch of asparagus this way in one sitting, and it is SO GOOD.

I don't know if I'd say it's better than cookies though. I guess it depends on the cookie. Definitely better than Chips Ahoy!
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #5  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I want to go to there...
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Very cool. I'm honestly stunned at how much my tastes have changed. Not just for sugar, but for refined grains too.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

Recipe? Hmmm. There's no real recipe. I use a large cookie sheet. Cover it with aluminum foil. Spray the foil with cooking spray. Lay the broccoli on there, not overlapping if possible. Then I spice it up - garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin and a hit of salt. Then I spray it with the cooking spray generously. Oven is at 400 degrees and I probably leave it in there for about 15 minutes, maybe 20. I like it soft-ish, yet still firm. Yumm-O.

Jessica, asparagus is one of my favorites too. And brussel sprouts. The broccoli I just don't make as often for some reason, maybe that's why it was such a treat for me.

Quote:
I'm honestly stunned at how much my tastes have changed.
Agreed. Simply stunned. If you would have ever told me that I would enjoy broccoli more then cookies, or heck that I would enjoy all the veggies that I'm eating (the other healthy stuff too) as much as I do - I would have never, ever believed it. Not in a million trillion years.

Simply mind boggling. It's like I'm in on this little secret or something, that very few people are privy too. Isn't that a weird way to think about it?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

I'm envious. Broccoli is awesome, but I still like cookies better.

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:10 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Yes, pls share your recipe!!

Congrats on making the transition to broccoli over cookies!

~ tea
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:29 AM   #10  
Chuggin' along...

Wow Robin, how wonderful for you!

I'm envious! I still like cookies better, though I thoroughly enjoy many fruits and vegetables. But I usually don't get as much salad & veggies as I'm used to on vacation. I do always have that first post-vacation moment where I sit down to my first meal prepared my way, and I sort of have an internal sigh of relief at how fresh it all it. I've found I have less and less of a taste for anything mass-produced or pre-packaged, as it just doesn't have that "fresh" taste. Maybe this will morph into a love like yours for broccoli?

Great job!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:27 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 228/184.7/145

Height: 5'6"

There have been days when I drive home from work with my mouth watering at the thought of a whole big package of roasted broccoli. For a special treat, I will put a few crumbles of goat cheese and I usually roast a couple of cloves of garlic right along side it which blends perfectly with the broccoli. I think I may have to sneak home for lunch instead of eating my salad and whip some up. Who'd have thought you could have cravings for stuff that is actually good for you?
steph324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #12  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Thanks RR for posting up the recipe.

You know what I just ate that was "YUM-O?"

I had smashed cauliflower with a ton of Pico De Gallo in it--the kind you buy in produce at Walmart ready to go. Man, was it ever good. I will be doing that again.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #13  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndranne View Post
I'm envious. Broccoli is awesome, but I still like cookies better.
Yeah ditto maybe one day I'll be where you are Robin! Congrats on this cool revelation.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:46 PM   #14  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Roasted veggies are the BEST! I have to agree with Robin. I would actually choose the veggies over cookies - no contest - not even close.

However, cheesecake would come in a close second
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #15  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
Roasted veggies are the BEST! I have to agree with Robin. I would actually choose the veggies over cookies - no contest - not even close.

However, cheesecake would come in a close second
Oh man. Did you have to go and bring cheesecake into the equation? Cheesecake? Of all things.

I do love cookies, but cheesecake IS in another category. But it always was. Even at my heaviest, for some reason cheesecake WAS a once in a while thing. It was never an every day thing. Cookies were or almost. And on an every day or even almost every day basis cookies could never, ever work for me anymore. So I couldn't possibly enjoy them to the extent that I enjoyed that roasted broccoli. If cookies had the same calories and nutritional and every other value as that broccoli (oh to dream) did, that WOULD be another story. I could eat them freely without any guilt or any of the other consequences that cookies bring on. But since I can't eat them freely - I therefore can't enjoy them to the extent that I enjoy the veggies. Am I making any sense?

Last edited by rockinrobin; 05-09-2009 at 12:41 AM.