Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 05-07-2009, 03:43 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 320/220/180

Height: 5'6

Default Lap Band Seminar, Possible Surgery

Hello Ladies! I have been lurking for awhile, had gall bladder surgery and realized, when I did my pre-op weigh in, that even with my exercising and portion control, I am not losing any weight. IN fact, I have gained A TON OF WEIGHT. I was on depo, but have since stopped that because I gained 60+ pounds in 2 years.

Now, it seems that no matter what I do, I cannot seem to lose any weight. I have an appt. with my surgeon who performed the gall bladder surgery 8 May, to discuss Bariatric Surgery. I have a PPO and they will cover if medically necessary. I have to admit that I am embarrassed that I didn't DO enough sooner. I used to be an athlete.

Now, I look in the mirror and I feel like a failure. Not only am I at the heaviest weight I have ever been (320 at 5'6), my BMI is off the charts (51), I am now diabetic, have horrible back issues and joint issues. My hip is killing me, due to a non displaced pelvic fracture from a motorcycle accident last year and I am tired all the time. I feel awful and tired all the time. Everything hurts.

I guess once I get with my surgeon, she will help me with the bariatric surgeon and I am scheduled to go to a Realize Lap Band Seminar with this doctor, whom my PCP also knows on 21 May.

I don't know. I know it will not be easy. I am rambling, sorry ladies. I knew you would all understand.

I am looking into this because I like that the lap band offers slow weight loss. I am just very tired of being so huge. When I went for my pre-op appointment in Feb, before my surgery, I got on the scale and the nurse was so sweet, she said, WELL YOU CARRY IT WELL!! Some consolation!!!

Cheers!
megawatt823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:58 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

to our little corner, its good to have you with us.

I think its wonderful that you are making the necessary changes to get you happy and healthy once again

Good luck at the seminar and if you have any questions let us know

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Megaw: You have come to the right place. WLS isn't the answer to all of your weight loss problems, but it sure can be the biggest lifesaver you can ever do for yourself. I've got my fingers, legs, knees, eyes crossed for you. Make sure you have a good nutritionist and have someone to talk to about your overeating problem. There are lost of caring informative people on this board and we will be there for you. Good luck my dear. Making room for you on the WLS bench!
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:39 PM   #4  

Thanks everyone! Tomorrow I have an appt. with the Dr. that performed my Gall Bladder surgery and she is awesome. I will keep you all posted! It's so wonderful to have this community! I feel better today
Old 05-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #5  

Hi from another Colorado lap bandster!Enjoy the seminar and ask lots and lots of questions!

Chickadee
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #6  
Old Cackler

megawatt - sooo, how did it go???? and remember - you're DOING something to get yourself healthier - so please try not to be so hard on yourself. you're doing great [except that, with miss chickadeedeedear, ya'll are gonna start trash-talking about the yankees. i know you rockies fans!!!!! bleccch!!! LOL!!!!]
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #7  

Hi Guys!! My Doc knows the Bariatric Surgeon and is sending him an email!!

My doc was so happy when I told her that I was going to the seminar 21 May.
Chickadee! Glad to see you! I have a great team of docs and have been researching as well. I have started my list of questions...I will let you know if I need some help with the questions.

I am looking forward to the seminar and I am feeling better; I know I gained a lot of weight but I feel that I am putting a positive step forward. My Primary doc, she is all for it, too! SO! Next is to get insurance on board. They will cover it if it is medically necessary and I fit their criteria for medically necessary. I know it's another tool to aid in weight loss. I don't tend to binge eating, but sometimes I do overeat and I am getting into the portion control, all that.

Thanks for being here, all of you. I will keep you posted! Thanks so much!! HUGS to everyone!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 05:13 PM   #8  

O Jiffy!! I am actually from the Cleveland Area and an Indians fan!!! O and the Browns. I know I know...flame away

Last edited by megawatt823; 05-08-2009 at 05:13 PM.