Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 12:53 AM   #1  

Default Fibromyalgia #75

Boy, we have been really busy, already have to start a new thread. Hope everyone is feeling good.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:18 AM   #2  

Anne...I made it through my first day...no problem. So...you said you have until Thursday and you have made it through induction...how much weight have you lost so far? What are you adding back in your third week? I know you get 5 more carbs...

I baked a chicken tonight and had chicken, greenbeans, salad and a deviled egg for dinner. I haven't really been hungry today at all. The worst thing I hated giving up was my diet cokes and diet 7 UPs. I bought some club soda Sunday when I went shopping and it isn't too awful. I also love my sweet tea...but...no sugar. Share your dessert you had that was legal!!!???

I had lost 3 pounds the week before I went to the Gulf but... alas... I gained them back while I was gone. Oh well, I'm just glad I didn't gain any more than that! I am determined to lose at least 30 pounds by the next time I go to NC and visit relatives!!!!!!! 40 would be even better. So, I'm determined to stick to this. I'm just worried I'll do all this and then as I start to add back the carbs I'll start gaining again. I've know for years that I do better when I eat a lot of protein and limit the carbs...weight wise and pain wise both! But seems I crave the carbs (but never the protein!)
Old 10-15-2002, 08:07 AM   #3  

Hi guys-boy am I hurting today-sewing the quilt hurts my neck but ut is so pretty-and it's so cold but I managed to walk yesterday. Boy, that turkey dinner sounds deliscious, Anne. I have been making my husband desserts-sugar free-and they taste too good. Beem using Splenda. Next one is lemon mousse-it sure looks good. TOmorrow when it's raining will be a good day. Another shooting-please God let them catch him soon!!!!Going to quilt guild tonight.Goal wt-what your goal is at weight watchers with an allowance of two pounds over. Bye for now Mima
Old 10-15-2002, 08:51 AM   #4  

Feeling good - less pain - no fatigue = I'm sure it is worth it all to get there, Happy.

Today and tomorrow do sound like good quilting days. I've got some errands to do and hope dh will go with me. He's hardly been out of house since we got home but knee is feeling better.

Sniper now closer to my son too. Actually I guess other than the first day when he's started in daughter's area, there's probably been no place in the DC area that could be called safe. The Bali bombings are a terrible thing. But perhaps they will help some see no one is safe anywhere from Al Q. I want my babies to come home where I can "protect" them but who says they'd be safe here either?

Both of those menus sound good to me. I'm going to try to adapt a stew today to dh's needs. It's a good stew day here.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:27 AM   #5  

Angry Good morning

Meme - I lost 8 pounds. Not so bad for me. I also started back on Premarin on the 01 of October, and that interfers with weightloss. Atkins said it will be slower, so I am just trucking along. The thing I love, other than no fatigue and no pain, is not having to think of food; no carb cravings at all.. By about day 3 you will be on your way. Go to low carb recipes on the board - lots of recipes. If you were drinking that much diet pop (all that aspertame) no WONDER you were hurting so bad. Add a little lemon or lime juice to the Club Soda. It isn't bad. Instead of using Aspertame, use SPLENDA. It have been in Canada for over 20 years and I have NEVER heard of a problem from it. Use the same amount as you would sugar. Splenda doens't alter your bloodsugar.

Now this dessert is legal, but you CANNOT eat tons of it. During induction you are only allowed 2 tbsp. of whipped cream a day, and only 4 oz. of cheese, total. It also contain aspertame, so I used it very sparingly, but it sure was good. My husband even enjoyed it. I think he ate over half of it (he isn't on Atkins so I guess he thought it was ok)

Miracle Fluff

2 cups Whipping cream
1 80z pkg cream cheese (full fat)
1 box of sugar free jello, any flavor
1 tsp. vanilla

Whip the whipping cream until stiff peaks form, set aside.
In another bowl, mix the jello with 1/2 cup boiling water until dissolved. Add 1/2 cup cold water and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream the cream cheese and the vanilla. Slowly add the jello, until mixed, now add the whipping cream in small additions.

Refridgerate for two hours.

Realy quite satisfying. Tastes very rich and creamy and because of the jello, sweet.
Old 10-15-2002, 01:21 PM   #6  

I had not been to the Atkins site yet...I just checked it out...registered and poked around a little. It looks interesting. I'll have to do some more 'poking'! Thanks for the recipe. I'll try it this weekend!

Not hungry yet!!!
Old 10-15-2002, 01:45 PM   #7  

Angry IMPORTANT INFORMATION!!!!!!

A) The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer
heart attacks than the British or Americans.
B) On the other hand, the French eat a lot of fat and
also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or
Americans.
C) The Japanese drink very little red wine and suffer
fewer heart attacks than the British or Americans.
D) The Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine,
and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the British or
Americans
E) Conclusion: Eat & drink what you like. It's speaking
English that kills you.
- Author Unknown
Old 10-15-2002, 02:12 PM   #8  

Default Lymes Disease

This was posted on another board that I go to. This person was originally diagnosed with CFS and FM and things kept getting worse, until she finally did some investigating on her own (she was a research scientist before all this). She did find out that she, and her son that is 10, have Lymes Disease. She has posted on Clouds about Lymes Disease and several people have gone to their Drs. and been tested for Lymes and sure enough, they do have it and are now under proper care and feeling better. This is a letter she just got from a Dr. that treats Lyme in the USA. I don't know if anyone is interested, but if you have tics you might be.

LYME DISEASE TALKING POINTS
By Ray Stricker, MD

Based on comments by Dr. Dan Kinderlehrer on the Today Show, June 10, 2002.

1. Lyme disease is an epidemic, already the fastest growing in the U.S., with new cases surpassing AIDS. It is

particularly bad in the northeast, upper Midwest and northern California, but the disease is virtually everywhere,

having been reported in 49 states. At present 180,000 cases have been reported to the CDC, but even by

conservative estimates this figure is probably off at least 10-fold; the actual number of cases may be closer to 100-

fold greater.

2. The epidemic proportions of this illness are staggering, but are being minimized by the government and

insurance industries because of the financial implications. In the meantime, doctors who are aggressively

diagnosing and treating this infection are being harassed by state medical boards: 2/3 of Lyme-treating doctors in

NY state are under investigation. The government tried to shut down one of the few labs that specializes in Lyme

diagnosis. They have succeeded in shutting down another. Medical journals are selectively publishing poorly

executed studies suggesting that Lyme disease is “hard to catch and easy to cure”; thus insurance companies don't

have to pay for long-term treatment.

3. Chronic Lyme disease is a catastrophic illness. It affects mainly the musculoskeletal system, the nervous system,

and the heart. Its manifestations can mimic chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, systemic

lupus, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS), paralytic syndromes (e.g. stroke), brain

tumors and others. It can cause severe depression and psychosis ("it's hard to fight an enemy that has outposts in

your brain," according to one victim), and has resulted in suicides. Residents of psychiatric wards have a high

percentage of Lyme-positive blood tests. This is a bad disease, and most of its victims remain misdiagnosed and

untreated.

4. Most doctors are painfully unaware of how to diagnose or treat Lyme disease properly. There have been many

cases of people with fairly obvious infection, but their doctors totally and inexplicably missed it – not just country

docs, but also physicians in places like the Mayo Clinic and the New England Medical Center – this despite their

living and practicing medicine in Lyme-endemic areas.

5. Lab tests stink. Doctors mistakenly depend on these tests to make a diagnosis, but the CDC makes it clear that

Lyme disease is a clinical diagnosis based on history and physical exam, and the lab tests can confirm but not rule

out this infection. The Lyme disease spirochete has devised ingenious ways to elude detection by our immune

system, and most laboratory tests don’t fare any better. Nevertheless, doctors routinely rely on the lab data, and

suggest to many of their multi-symptomatic patients that their problems are psychological in origin.

6. The deer-tick is a veritable cesspool of germs. Probably most people with chronic Lyme disease have coinfections

with other microbes, such as Babesia, Ehrlichia and Bartonella. Multiple infections have an

immunosuppressive effect, making it even harder to treat the Lyme disease. Doctors know even less about these

other infections.

7. Antibiotics are important and occasionally life-saving. If given soon after the tick bite, they are fairly effective.

However, once Lyme disease becomes chronic (particularly if the infection is more than a year old) it is difficult for

antibiotics to clear it, in the same way that tuberculosis and other chronic infections may be difficult to eradicate.

Many people have been taking antibiotics for years, even intravenously. Adjunctive treatments for chronic Lyme

disease, such as hyperbaric oxygen, cholestyramine and immune modulation, are being investigated on a limited

basis, but research funds for all forms of Lyme disease treatment are essentially non-existent.

For more information about Lyme disease and other tick-borne infections, please visit the following websites:

· Lots of Links on Lyme Disease - http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/...yme-links.html

· Lyme Disease Association - www.lymediseaseassociation.org

· Lyme Disease Network - www.lymenet.org

· IGeneX Laboratory - www.igenex.com
Old 10-15-2002, 10:00 PM   #9  

Serenity, if you have MSN downloaded or Yahoo, I would love to talk to you. You have to have a microphone or headset(that is the best). You can buy one pretty cheap at FutureShop. Let me know.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:23 AM   #10  

Hi guys-it is a stew day today!!!I woke up at 5-maybe from the pain in my neck but I have been sleeping so well since I take my synthetic hormones at night. Doc never told me-read it on a website. I have been craving carbs big time !!!!Thjat diet is sounding more and more\appealing but I am really scared of the fat since my chol. seems a bit high and I cant take statins to reduce it. I'm going to look at the diet now but I would be too scared to do Atkins. Quilt is coming along-can't sew that long each day. Pray they get that sniper!!!!!!!!Mima
Old 10-16-2002, 11:11 AM   #11  

Mima, Atkins actually LOWERS you cholestrol! I have a friend that went on it and got off all of her meds for cholestrol. It takes about 6 weeks to get it way down. Actually, it is also a good diet for diabetics to follow as it regulates the blood sugar or insulin. Go read the site - there are lots of things addressed in the questions and answers of the site. I just know that in the two weeks (tomorrow) that I have been on it, I haven't experienced fatigue and my pain levels are WAAAAAAY down. If only it did that I would be happy, but I also would like the weightloss and it is working for me that way as well. It is a lifestyle. As time goes on, after the Induction period (first two weeks) you get to add 5 grms of carbs a week until you stop losing or until you maintain. You can pick your own carbs, but as he says, eating sweets, and white flour and starchy veggies and actually bread to often will set off the carb cravings again, because you blood sugar is out of whack.

It is a very nice diet because your cravings are gone and you are never hungry. If you are, you go eat. Mostly, you just forget about food. I eat breakfast around 9:30 a.m. and am surprised to see that it is past 3:00 and I am still not hungry. Works for me. My head misses the carbs, but at least my body isn't yelling at me to go get them.

I lost another pound, so that makes 9 in less than 2 weeks! That is as much as I lost on ww in 4 months!!!! I guess my body really doesn't like carbs much.

Going to be another nice day here. Up into the mid 60's. Nice and fresh out this morning - around 32f .

Serenity - welcome to winter We had snow long before you did, but of course, it is long gone. Not supposed to have to much as El Nino is coming round this winter. That isn't good, as the drought will continue, and spring will be a disaster without any snow. If we don't get the spring rains again next year, we are going to be in serious trouble.

Hope everyone's family is safe from the nutcase sniper! What a horrible fear that would be.

Everyone have a nice day.

Last edited by Happy Canuk; 10-16-2002 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:15 AM   #12  

Mima...actually your cholesterol is supposed to go DOWN when you do Atkins! It is the COMBINATION of fat and carbs that makes it high. Not just the fat alone. Plus...you still have to be careful WHAT KIND of fat you use and even that is limited to a certain amount. You can't just pig out on meat and fat with Atkins. You have protein 'type' foods such as meat, eggs, cheese etc. and, at the beginning, 3 cups of veggies...later on you add more. White flour and sugar are the two ingredients you eliminate and I have found I actually feel better when I don't eat stuff with sugar and flour in it!!! You really need to read the New Atkins Diet book. It explains the hows and whys of the eating plan. Each week you add back more carbs until you stop losing and then you know how much you can have and still lose weight. It is a good lifetime plan if you do it right.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:17 AM   #13  

Sorry...didn't mean to repeat what Anne said...we were posting at the same time!

Congratulations on the 9 pounds, Anne. I've lost 3 1/2 since Monday...that's just 2 days. I couldn't lose that much in a week doing WW.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:50 PM   #14  

I found #75!!

Our newspaper this morning said that the sniper could come into our area within 2 hours if he is located in Northern Virginia. Near me is Interstate #64. I think it's time they caught him.I went to the bank for my next door neighbor in order to deposit his check. I wobbled as I walked down the building from the parking area. I wasn't going to make a standing target down that long driveway.No one uses the driveway anymore because the driveway window is closed. In fact, a sign on their front door said as of this Friday, they would be closed forever and one should use one of their other two branches. I hope he takes his own check to the bank from now on since the branches are not near my house - miles away instead of just 9 blocks.

Freddie
Old 10-17-2002, 07:15 AM   #15  

Oh I feel for you Freddie.Pray pray pray that they catch him.,Going to the chiro today-I have pain in my right leg when I walk and also in my right side of me neck. And am supposed to walk with auntie. I have crooked material in my quilt-should I be a perfectionist and change it? I don't want to and I am a little crooked. Have a good day-the only thing about the Atkins that I'm afraid of is the kidney thing!!!But I agree about the carbs setting up cravings. I'm good when I eat cheerios and bananas for breakfast-it's after lunch that I'm hungry. Mima
Closed Thread