Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/171/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Almond Milk vs Soy Milk

What do you guys think? I personally prefer the flavor of almond milk, although I never drink any type of milk straight (my husband does though). Almond is more expensive than soy and has quite a bit more fat.

I primarily use it for my protein shakes in the morning and if any recipe calls for milk.

Which do you think provides more health benefits?
festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:21 PM   #2  

ah ive long wondered this myself! im on WW and a full cup of unsweetened vanilla almond breeze is only one WW point... which is fantastic.

also i know in recent years some doubts have been cast on the presumptive healthiness of soy products??

so yeah! ha i dunno, but looking forward to an answer.

Last edited by partypantalones; 05-06-2009 at 03:21 PM.
partypantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #3  

absolutely almond milk!!! It doesn't have that weird after taste. I love almond milk and frozen blueberry smoothies.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #4  

Almond milk rocks on the Vitamin E too...I just could never get into the way soy milk tastes. I like hemp milk though.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #5  

Almond milk.. love that I can sweeten the stuff with any flaver surgar free syrup I want.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #6  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

I don't like soy milk, but I *love* almond milk. Almond milk on cereal, and especially pumpkin flax granola... mmm!
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:16 PM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I use all of the above including rice milk and hemp milk. At a potluck I went to, someone even made oat milk (which seems quite easy) and walnut milk (again easy).
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:32 AM   #8  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I usually buy a bulk case of vanilla soymilk at Costco. Almond milk intrigues me, but is difficult to locate in my area.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #9  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

I was just browsing my local Whole Foods and discovered hazelnut milk - will have to read the label and see what they're doing to it! I try to avoid the soy milk and basically any soy products that haven't been around for the last hundred (to a thousand!) years. Our family is trying very hard to make the move to whole foods, but wow! I love all the nut milks, and have tried oat and hemp milk too. It's a juggling act - aside from coconuts, I don't know of any of these "milks" that's not going through some major factory action to create them. If anybody knows ... please pass it on!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Have you thought about making your own milk? You can make your own {rice, soy, hemp, almond, oat, etc} milk fairly easily.

Personally, I accept nut milks as a whole foods item. I've made my own in the past but I prefer the ease of buying.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2

I prefer almond milk because it doesn't have the powdery texture that I get from soy milks. Also, I really like the slight nuttiness that it adds to my morning cereal and coffee..yum!
digitalrequiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:05 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

I don't think strictly speaking (or really, not all that strictly) you can call soy, nut or grain milks wholefoods. Same for oils. In fact, you're not eating wholefoods if you only have the broccoli florets and not the stalk, or when you eat an orange and not the peel (I've only recently learned that some people eat the peel!). Also soy sauce, and I'm sure so many other things.

Personally, I would eat all those things. But the point is, everyone has to draw their own line, because it's not as black and white as it may seem.

On the other hand, non-dairy milks and oils, even once accepted as a category as being wholefoods or close enough, may be fairly processed with the milks having a lot of additives and the oils having chemical processing. You just have to choose carefully.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #13  

I prefer almond milk over soy milk. I like soy yogurt, though.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #14  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

It's probably been debated already, and I have not gone back through this forum's threads yet (sorry!), but does anything that's been pasteurized fit this template? If so, what about irradiation? Both are man-made attempts to improve on nature ... and I'd argue that both fail ... but that's a "whole" different thread.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
It's probably been debated already, and I have not gone back through this forum's threads yet (sorry!), but does anything that's been pasteurized fit this template? If so, what about irradiation? Both are man-made attempts to improve on nature ... and I'd argue that both fail ... but that's a "whole" different thread.
Many people would most definitely consider pasteurization (and homogenization) to be processing. They only consider raw milk to be fit for consumption. I'm still sorting it out, but it's food for thought.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote