South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 05-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'6

Default Not feeling so great

I'm on day 2 of SB and not feeling so well. I'm sure it has to do with the diet, but is there anything I can do to fix this? I'm a mom of 4 so I need to be on top of things....

symptoms are- weak feeling, tired, irritability, occasional very brief dizzy spells.....

I checked my blood sugar and it's 100 so that should be fine.

here is my food so far today-

breakfast- 2 hard boiled eggs (I was running late and this is all I could get into my tummy quickly)

snack- handful of peanuts

lunch- more lentil soup from yesterday's dinner

snack- laughing cow cheese wedge and 2 stalks of celery
KathyinAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:40 PM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Sorry if this suggestions not SB friendly but ~ have you had enough salt?
I had some woozy days last week that imrpoved with a bag of crisps!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #3  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

You need to eat a little more. Suggestions are beans and dairy. This will give your body a little carbohydrate and well as a few more calories and helps eliminate that yucky feeling. Make sure you also get your good fat servings in daily.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 212/172.4/150

Height: 5'9"

your lunch may have been lacking enough protein and/or veggies, depending on how much soup you ate. I agree, you need to eat more. the first couple days are always rough, and eating frequently and smart will help make it easier.
baristamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:08 PM   #5  

Thanks so much for the feedback. I did end up eating 2 Kashi crackers and a few more handfuls of peanuts and eventually felt better. For dinner I had almost a whole bag of spinach (sauteed so it looked like nothing) and about a half a pound of salmon. It was a ton of food but I was starving!

I made it through day 2 without going off the diet too much. My new goal is to get through tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:05 AM   #6  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

Kathy-

You aren't getting in enough veggies and dairy. How about drinking a V-8? Get the low sodium one especially if you aren't getting your 64 oz+ of water in. And how about string cheese or cottage cheese with those eggs?

Crackers aren't Ph1 friendly (though I don't know which ones from Kashi you had). Also, just so you know, a typical serving of salmon is about 4-6 oz. It is a pretty fatty fish!

Spinach wilts like no one business! I was shocked too and can eat a bag in a sitting Which is good!

Feel better soon. Most of us get the South Beach "Flu". You can read more on it by searching "South Beach Flu" in quotes on the thread!

Feel better!

Last edited by jenne1017; 05-06-2009 at 12:06 AM.
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:23 AM   #7  

Oh Jenn I know the crackers aren't allowed and that the salmon was too much and that I needed more veggies, but it was all about getting through the moment and finding something to eat that would make me feel better.

Normally my cheating involves fast food or cookies or something really evil, so my cheating yesterday doesn't bother me so much, lol!

Back on track today and still down 1 more pound so all is well for now!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Kathy, in order to successfully do Phase 1, you really need to try to plan ahead. Make sure you have enough food in the house that's easy to grab and go if you know you'll be busy. If you won't have time to prepare food during the day, make up all your meals/snacks the night before so you can grab and go.

You definitely need to be eating more. Make SURE you are getting good carbs as much as possible: tomatoes, bell peppers, dairy, beans, and legumes. They help you feel much better. You also need to make sure you get enough water, and take it easy on yourself (no starting exercise if you haven't already been doing it, get more sleep, etc.).

It's common to feel sick during the detox period (3-5 days for most), but you will feel much better afterwards. You'll need to count that 3-5 days starting today, because of the Kashi crackers (which are delicious in Phase 2, though!).

I personally am horrified by how sick I feel during P1, because it makes me realize how addicted I was the junk I was putting in my system. It makes me even more determined to stay off the junk in the future.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #9  

Thanks Laurie,

Yes, I know. I did plan ahead....but you know....I have four children. We homeschool. I had planned on cooking eggs with spinach, which is my standard SB diet breakfast, but the baby was extra clingy, we slept a bit late and it was time for school so I was pretty happy to have those two hard boiled eggs already in the fridge!

My lunch yesterday was soup filled with veggies- lentils, tomatos, zucchini, spinach, onions, plus some chicken. Lots of good carbs and protein and I had about 3 cups of it, so I had plenty especially since I had another cup and a half of veggies at dinner time.

I've been drinking 9 cups of water by lunchtime and then not keeping track after that but If I had to guess, I'm probably drinking at least 120 oz of water over the course of the day.

I really think the problem yesterday was my lack of breakfast, so I went out this morning and picked up some V8 and low fat cottage cheese so that the next time we are running late I can still get my veggies in!

On hand I have the following for snacks-

mozz sticks
hard boiled eggs
lots of fresh veggies
turkey lunchmeat
hummus
salsa
peanuts
natural peanut butter

Of course most of this can be made into a quick meal if I don't feel like heating up leftovers or making a big salad. Usually for lunch I eat about 4 cups of spinach topped with chick peas, mozzarella cheese, and whatever veggies I have on hand.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:55 AM   #10  
I can do this!

Sounds great! The V8 has tomatoes, so it'll help you feel better. If you have some tomatoes on hand, you can throw them into your cottage cheese. Make sure you're getting beans in every day, too. It really helps.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #11  

Oh definitely! I get tons of beans every day. I love hummus and topping my salad with garbanzo beans and the other day I made this super yummy garbanzo bean stir fry recipe that I found on another SB forum.

I really think yesterday I let myself get sick and then had a hard time getting back on track. I learned my lesson though!
Old 05-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #12  

Kathy, when I started SB I had the same symptoms on the 2nd day, and it sounds like you're doing better now but for me on day 3 I woke up feeling incredibly nauseous and had to go into work late. My husband and I had pre-planned and bought plenty of snacks and things for meals, but despite that I felt awful. I think my body had a very bad reaction going from LOTS of carbs to virtually none.

That said, on day 3 I cheated and had a phase II granola bar and was feeling much better just an hour or so after. I still managed to lose 6 or so pounds in the first phase, but with a bite or two of granola every couple of days if I started to feel ill again. FYI that feeling went away by the end of week 1
RedDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 165/133/115

Height: 5'0"

definately lighten up on the portion of your salmon.. full of good fats.. but in moderation. I woudl reccomend more protein throughout the day...and also make sure you are drinking enough water. This will also help you feel full. And the serving size for veggies is 2 cups.
moncheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:14 PM   #14  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncheree View Post
And the serving size for veggies is 2 cups.
But you can eat more than 2 cups if you like. Don't forget some good fats in there. Besides nuts you should be getting your 2 Tbs of healthy fats per day.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #15  
I can do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDaisy View Post
That said, on day 3 I cheated and had a phase II granola bar and was feeling much better just an hour or so after. I still managed to lose 6 or so pounds in the first phase, but with a bite or two of granola every couple of days if I started to feel ill again. FYI that feeling went away by the end of week 1
Red Daisy, I'm glad you found something that worked for you, and I appreciate your sharing it.

However, I want you (and those who read this) to know that the reason the granola bar made you feel better is that you were giving your body what it was craving. Basically, this is like trying to get someone off of an addictive substance by denying it, then giving them a little bit every time they get very desperate. In addition, the malitol in the bar made your body think, for a little while, that it was getting sugar. Some of us have found that malitol can cause really strong cravings, even though it's not real sugar. This could lead to feeling worse later, even though it might have made you feel better at the time. So, by eating the granola bar, you were ruining the work you did with the rest of your time.

The reason the detox feels so bad is exactly what you said--it's very hard to go from LOTS of carbs to almost none.

What's important to remember is that you wouldn't start SBD unless you felt there was something lacking in your previous lifestyle. For many of us, there were a lot of things, most of which were due to eating sugars and BAD carbs. As Dr. A says in the book, those sugars (and that granola bar, to some extent) cause a yo-yo effect in your blood sugar. It makes you crave more. It makes you tired and worn out after an initial high. We want to get away from that yo-yo effect and move to a balanced, calm place, and that's what Phase 1 does for us, but you have to get through the days of feeling bad first.

By eating something off-plan (even something okay in Phase 2) whenever you feel bad in Phase 1, all you do is postpone the inevitable. I'm glad that you felt better after a week, RedDaisy, but the main reason could be that you left detox and went back to the old yoyo effect. If so, you'd still be stuck with cravings and all that struggling would be for naught.

Yes, it's very hard not to eat the things your body is craving when you're going through the hard part of Phase 1. But think about it: if you had a loved one that was an alcoholic and going through DTs, would you give them a tiny sip of alcohol, only to have to give them another tiny sip the next day?

You can get through that time--so many of us have done it, sometimes several times, and the other side is SO worth it. Really! See you there!

Last edited by beachgal; 05-07-2009 at 09:30 AM.