View Single Post
Old 05-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Unhappy Did your doctors ever tell you to lose weight?

Hey everyone,

When I went out for my morning HIIT this morning, I didn't have my regular workout clothes, but I needed something loose. I decided to put on these old gray pants of mine that used to be the only dress pants I could fit into (they are a very light and soft material, which is why I decided to work out in them.) When I put them on... THEY WERE HUGE. I mean, seriously, huge on me. To the point where they were falling off my hips. While it made me happy to see how far I have come, it also kinda shocked me... how did I ever let myself get so big??? I kinda disgusted myself, looking at how big my thighs and stomach used to be, to fit into those pants.

And it made me wonder. I have been to a lot of doctors in the past few years. Regular physicians (I moved, so I have had 2 primary care physicians in the past few years), and 3 different gynocologists... and never once did any of them ever tell me "hey, I think it would be good for your health if you lost weight."

I'm kinda bothered by this. At my highest weight, I was teetering on the edge of "obese" on the BMI charts, I had high blood pressure, and I was very obviously out of shape. I realize that it is my responsibility to take care of myself and my health... but if I am doing something destructive to my health, isn't my doctor supposed to say something?? Did they think this was just a phase? That I would "grow out of it"? Is it not much of a concern since I am younger? Because I would think they would want to encourage healthy habits NOW, so that I could become a healthy and fit adult with good habits that stick with me all the way until my older days.

I dunno, I guess I am just bothered because I didn't realize just how BIG I had gotten, and I kinda wished someone would have said something... maybe it wouldn't have taken me so long to realize what kind of path I was travelling down.

LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote