General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Default What are you Reading? May 2009

I just finished Escape by Carolyn Jessop. Wow. What a book. I couldn't put it down. I don't know how anybody could survive in that atmosphere of constant abuse.

Now onto something a little lighter: Safer by Sean Doolittle. Harlan Coben is quoted on the jacket saying it is a good book and I love Coben, so I thought I'd give it a try. So far so good!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #2  
Backpedaling!!

S/C/G: 276/250/176

Height: 5'4''

I'm reading Main Street, by Sinclair Lewis.
freshmanweightorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 02:26 PM   #3  

I am reading "Can You Keep a Secret" by Sophie Kinsella. I love all her books- they are funny and a light, enjoyable read!
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201 / 188 / 160

Height: 5'9"

"Baby Proof" by Emily Griffin
M Dizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:53 PM   #5  
There is no spoon!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/160

Height: 5/9

I'm currently reading, The Spartans by Paul Cartledge. He definitely does an impressive job with this installment.
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I just finished the Twilight series of books and am looking for something else to read. Yes, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I read the Twilight series, but the story was good. The first book wasn't the best as far as writing is concerned, but that got better in subsequent books.

I do think I need to find something to read with more substance after that though.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:05 AM   #7  
I love being a mommy!

Height: 5'3"

I'm reading While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky. Fantastic book, but heart wrenching.
GirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #8  
I love being a mommy!

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
I just finished the Twilight series of books and am looking for something else to read. Yes, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I read the Twilight series, but the story was good. The first book wasn't the best as far as writing is concerned, but that got better in subsequent books.

I do think I need to find something to read with more substance after that though.
I loved the Twilight series as well! My coworker got me hooked, and then surprised me with my very own Bella bracelet.
GirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:23 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post

Don't feel guilty! I'd say that the majority of people do like this series. It's kind of mindless which sometimes I like in a book. However, my DS has given me several Stephanie Plum mysteries by Janet Evanovich. And they are terribly mindless and I don't think I'll read any more. I don't find them all that entertaining, either.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #10  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I'm having a hard time getting in to the Stephanie Plum novels too. I read the first one and a few chapters were really enticing, and after a chapter or two of the second book I just couldn't pick it back up ... and I've got the third book waiting on me but the motivation has escaped me. My boyfriend's mom has the entire series - so I hope I can find it in me to get through the second book and maybe they'll pick up!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #11  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I just finished "The Life & Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" by Bill Bryson and now I'm reading "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle." I like to listen to books on CD or MP3. Like to listen at the gym or in the car.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:39 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 200.4/188.6/150

Height: 5'4"

The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl by Shauna Reed. She has her own website as well. She is humorous and oh so honest.
phatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #13  

I just re-read Monkeewrench and Dead Run by PJ Tracy. Very good mysteries, set in the Twin Cities (St. Paul / Minneapolis). I also just re-read Welcome to Temptation by Jennifer Crusie, a very fun romance/mystery (steamy, so be warned)
happykristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:58 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 298/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7"

Rhett Butler's People, by Donald McCaig. I'm loving it so far!

Last edited by Lizzyg; 05-04-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: lets see if I can get his name right!
Lizzyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 307.2/249.4/150.0

Height: 5 feet 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by happykristen View Post
I just re-read Monkeewrench and Dead Run by PJ Tracy. Very good mysteries, set in the Twin Cities (St. Paul / Minneapolis).
Another Twin Citizen here. Ever read anything by John Sandford or KJ Erickson?

Right now, about halfway through The Codex by Douglas Preston. On deck, The Venetian Betrayal by Steve Berry; after that First Family by David Baldacci
ANOther is offline   Reply With Quote