South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Default Thursday Chatterings

Good morning!
I have a nice pot of Gevalia Pecan Torte here for anyone who'd like some. I offered a cup to the AAA guy who was here, but he declined. Jake discovered he had a flat as he was leaving for work this morning and had to call them out to fix it. It's all done now and he's on his way.

I'm going to let Maggie bake a cake and decorate it this afternoon to celebrate Audrey's last day of Spanish club for the year. We're invited in for a little fiesta, so that will be fun. And I'm looking forward to watching Survivor tonight.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:09 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

morning all

Cottage - Sounds like a fun afternoon.

Those of you on Facebook already know that yesterday my position was cut down to 4 days effective 7/1. The much worse news is that our longest employee and my best friend had her position eliminated effective immediately. I think I'm more distressed about the way it was handled. That's a business mind set - we are laying you off and you are no longer trust worthy so leave now. You don't see that as much in nonprofits. It was a really rotten afternoon. Three other employees also had hour cuts including the third person in our "old timer" gang. That's huge in a staff of 9. This morning we have an all staff meeting minus the person laid off. Should be interesting to say the least. Tomorrow afternoon there will be wine and debriefing, hopefully for all three of us.

My mantra for the day - lack of food is not causing any of this and eating won't solve it.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:14 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Good morning. Cottage, you make the best coffee! The AAA guy is nuts to refuse it.

It's going to be a glorious day today and I plan to spend most of it outdoors. First will be a trip to the road with the garbage. I did some barn purging yesterday so I'll use the garden cart to get it there. Is it possible I'm getting smarter as I get older?

Not too smart last night though! I succumbed to having pizza and wine with some friends. I wimped out on weighing this morning. Never mind - fun with friends was more important and it was a vegetarian pizza with a ww crust. We took the dogs for a run at the Fairgrounds later and I must have burned some calories laughing at their antics. Jazz can outrun the bigger dogs.

Whoops! last day of the month and time to do the May targets.

I hope your day is glorious.

ETA: Aw, Cyndi, what a cold and unfeeling way to handle a staff issue. I wish you calm and some joy as you get through the next few weeks.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:17 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

That was a pretty rude way for them to let your friend go, Cyndi. It's hard enough to be told you're being laid-off, let alone terminating you immediately. I hope your friend is handling it as well as can be expected and hopefully will find another position soon.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

Good morning chicks,
That's really a shame Cyndi, I feel badly for you and your friend. I hope she got some severance pay anyway. What a weird way to handle it - I've seen firings like that - they call security and wait while you clean out your desk. But there were reasons in those cases. It surely doesn't help staff morale.
cottage, pecan torte sounds wonderful. I've run out of coffee and am sipping tea this morning, but I really wish I had some coffee.
Ruth, sounds like a fun time with friends!

It's been a busy week here, DH is in Florida for training until the end of the week. DD's birthday was Tuesday, so we took her to the Japanese hibachi place for dinner. I've had meetings out the kazoo this week, both by phone and requiring travel, Parks and Rec committee meeting last night. And so it goes...
I heard last night the swine flu has arrived in Maryland, several school-kid cases, not in my immediate area fortunately. Wondering if they will eventually close down the schools.
We had a going-away luncheon for a co-worker yesterday at Ruby Tuesday - their California shrimp salad with avocado is delish, and seemed totally on-plan except for the bacon bits. And there must have been an entire avocado chopped up in there.
Almost Friday chickies, hang in there!

Last edited by Schmoodle; 04-30-2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:51 AM   #6  
Vegan.whole.foodie.

S/C/G: hw252 csw220/???/160

Height: 5'7.5 ;)

Good Morning chickies

Cyndi- I am so sorry to hear about your hour cuts and you friend... Its really a shame when things are handled so poorly.

Cottage- I sure need that coffee this morning!!!

Schmoodle- Hoping your weekend lets you unwind a little!

Ruth- hoping the scale is kind to you and everyone else tomorrow! pizza sure sounds good!!! lol

Well, I actually am running a little early this mornign so I thought I would pop in here quicklike... I went to the gym last night for the first time in forever... I am going to try to become a runner! LOL. I bought the complete guide to womens running and have started their beginners training program! gym clothes are packed again today and if nothing too crazy happens I will be back at it tonight!

Hope the rest of you chickies to come have a great day!(and the ones who already posted )
Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 144.4/137/120

Height: 5

OH what a dreary day. The weather guy was actually mentioning that this is how our spring floods started last year, hoping we don't have a repeat this year.

I'm losing my patience with age I guess, there was a news story this morning about a woman here locally complaining because she has a trip to Mexico planned in May and she is trying to get some doctors to give her Tamiflu and she is being denied. She claims she is trying to be proactive, no being proactive would be to NOT go in the first place! DUH!

Ok enough of my rant. Looks like my scales are leveling out at 120, time to fix the ticker and post my May goal.

Cyndi so sorry to hear about your work situation. I agree with the rest that is a pretty lousy way to handle the whole thing!

Schmoodle haven't had a chance to catch up with you since I decided to come back home to 3FC, glad to hear things are well in your world.

Alright off to work, well I am at work but I guess it is actually time to do what I am supposed to be doing here!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #8  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Mmm, I'll take you up on a cup, Cottage! Sounds like a fun baking project! Chocolate and cinnamon make for a very Mexican combo.

Cyndi, I'm SO sorry! That's just awful, all around. I can't believe a non-profit would act that way, especially with such a long-time employee. "Survivor stress" is a real thing--please do seek someone to talk to (we're always here, but we're not trained!) if you feel really down about this, okay? I LOVED this:
Quote:
lack of food is not causing any of this and eating won't solve it.
How true that is about so many things...I need to remember it! One of the mods once said something similar when she was feeling sad: "If I overeat, then I'll just be pudgy and sad." True that! Take gentle care of yourself and know that a fantastic window is opening for your friend right now. :

Ruth, sounds like a GREAT evening and very virtuous indulgence! I wouldn't beat myself up for one moment over that one. Wish I could see the doggage! How fun!

Schmoo, Ruby Tuesday is my favorite place to eat on plan. I love how many yummy veggie sides you can get. The haricot verts are my favorite.

Rikki, DH just started running a couple weeks ago and did a half marathon with his sisters last weekend. He definitely has the running bug and he's loving it! Mind you, other than doing cardio at the gym 2-3 times a week for a couple months before that, he didn't do any extra exercise. You can TOTALLY do this!

good to have you back, Stephanie!

Me:
Went for a wonderful bike ride with DH yesterday. It was blissful, though when we got home I couldn't stop sneezing. Something gets into my system when we ride bikes in the spring and I get allergies I didn't even know I had! The air conditioning at work seems to be helping.

Today is the usual--work, gym, and then yoga. However, DH (unwisely) challenged me to a race home on our bikes, with the possible prize for winning being that he'd go with my to yoga (I've been begging him for years...). Guess what? I won! He's been trying to weasel out of it ever since, but he's going!!! I can't wait...I know it'll help him (he can barely bend over, let alone get a foot away from touching his toes right now, and he's in a lot of stress at work) and there are even 2-3 guys that go to my class, so it's not as if he'll feel like the only guy in a room of women. I hope he likes it enough to go back...

Have a great day chicks!

Last edited by beachgal; 04-30-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:25 AM   #9  
Heather-Nic

S/C/G: 293.5/248/220

Height: 5'7"

Good morning ladies!!! Happy Thursday!
Cottage - The fiesta sounds like fun. I hope the cake baking goes well!!!!

Cyndi - I'm so sorry. I hope things calm down a little and you're able to process this with your friends tomorrow. Hang in there!!!!

Ruth - Enjoy your time outdoors today. And I'm sure you're right about burning off those calories while at the dog park

Schmoodle - Busy lady! Glad you enjoyed your salad yesterday. Sounds yummy!!!

Rikki - Good for you! Keep us updated on how you do with the whole running thing. That's a great goal!

Stephanie - Thanks for sharing your story this morning....gave me a good chuckle!

Laurie - Good job getting your dh to yoga. I try so hard to gently push my dh to exercise, and it works only sporadically. Good work!

Me - Caught up with BL last night. Not real happy with who went home, but I understand everyone's reasoning. Helen, btw, looked AMAZING! I was supposed to lay out a London broil last night to marinate during the day, but I forgot, so I'm going to have to find a rub for tonight's dinner instead. Other than that, I've got laundry to do this evening and I'm taking a student to the DMV today so he can take the written portion of the driving test. O Boy!!!!
Have a lovely Thursday, ladies!!!
BLESSINGS!!!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #10  
Live, Laugh, Love

Height: 5'3"

I woke up feeling REALLY good today! I think I still need my tea, but I feel fabulous!

How's everyone doing? I've had such a busy week so far, it's been hard for me to find time on the computer. I'm going to putz around here this morning, maybe run to the bank, run to Gordman's, run a couple of deliveries, and have a nice, relaxing day!

Hope everyone is well!!!

Lisa
Old 04-30-2009, 11:37 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Good morning, everyone!

Cottage: How neat that you and Maggie were invited to the Spanish club fiesta! Have a great time!

Cyndi: I'm very sorry to hear about the cutbacks, but especially about the way your coworker was let go. It does reek of big business and not a non-profit. Keep up your resolve! Your mantra is a great one to remember!!

Ruth: I would have avoided the scale this morning, too, but I'm positive the good company shared was worth it! Is Jazz worn out this morning? Have a great day!

Schmoodle: That Ruby Tuesday salad sounds like it was delicious; I'll have to go check it out some time. I hope you have some time to relax in the midst of all your running around!

Rikki: Good luck on your pursuit of running. I'm not there, yet, but it is something I'd like to venture into eventually. Have a nice day!

Stephanie: Don't you hate it when the weathermen report on the past weather trends? Even if it was good weather, I don't care, I want to know what's happening now!! I hope you have a nice day...wishing you lots of patience!!

Laurie: I had to laugh out loud at your husband/yoga story. I wonder if he thought there was no way he would lose, so he risked it! I guess you showed him! Let us know how it goes.

Heather: I haven't caught BL in a while. I need to catch a rerun on FLN to see what's going on. Good luck to your student today.

Lisa: Enjoy your day! It sounds like you've been really busy! We miss seeing you around.

Me: Not too much going on here. I was planning on running errands at lunch, but then realized that I don't really need to do any of it right now. I was going to go grocery shopping, but we're doing fine with groceries and I won't need to go until we're out and about on Saturday. I'm going to head home at lunch and walk the dogs a bit instead.

DH is out in the field today, scoping out some property for a quail survey they're starting next week. He's going to be exhausted when he gets home, so I'm thinking a night on the couch, after my workout, of course, is in order.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 7"

Hello all,

Another busy day at work and I was paying my bills at lunch time so did not have time to pop in.

Cyndi- I am so sorry to hear about how they handled the situation that is so sad and stressful for everyone. Hang in there.

Hcmacneil- I had hoped as well that it would have turned out differently last night. I like Mike but I want Tara to win in the end.

Everyone else have a great day.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #13  

Cyndi - Sorry about the cutbacks. In the IT industry it works the same way but I understand that an upset ex-employee could wreak a lot of havoc.

Brian had a swimming merit badge session last night. He was able to do everything except retrieving the weight from the bottom. But the weight was 12 pounds (heavier than supposed to be) and the depth was 11 feet (should be taller than the boy but not to exceed 10 feet). Since he less than 4 1/2 ft, that is a lot. He'll get it though eventually.

Scout Show was just cancelled for the weekend along with May Fest due to the swine flu. We have one school in our district closed with a confirmed case and several more probable ones and the entire Ft Worth district closed (approx 80,000 kids). I'm praying there are no more deaths.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:49 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 261/252/145

Height: 5'4"

heh, in case anyone goes looking for it I just remembered that restaurant was Applebee's not Ruby Tuesday. Those places are all the same to me, but I just remembered the little apple tiles in the bathroom.

looking forward to getting in some grinders tonight Kim?
Old 04-30-2009, 03:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 214/210/164

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoodle View Post

looking forward to getting in some grinders tonight Kim?
Yes, I am. 2 as a matter of fact, maybe 3, followed by some boxing.

And maybe another one before bed.
Closed Thread