Old 04-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #23

Good morning gals. Boy is it warm here this morning. Today is trash day and I couldn't believe how warm it was when I took it to the corner.

Jean: Hopefully you can get some catch up rest soon. Having to organize a funeral and all that goes with it wears out everyone. God Bless your daughter for helping with the photos.

Susan: Thanks for the tips. I always get sufficient protein as I intersperse a tbl of peanut butter or a piece of lowfat cheese, etc throughout meals and snacks. My big problem is carbs such as a lot of potatoes, pasta, rice and such. I want to get away from so much of that and substitute veggies. I am really not a big potato fan, but I am a big pasta fan so am going to try and cut out quite a bit of that for more veggies. I plan on a struggle. Nothing you want is without work.

Nothing much else going on this morning. I noticed the allergies are a bit worse this morning, sneezing and such so I imagine I will take a tablet to help with that. I seem to be getting a lot done on my knitting though so I imagine I will get stuff done on time.

You gals have a great hump day and I will talk with you tomorrow.
Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #2  

Good afternoon, ladies. Only 63 degrees today - what a change!

Faye, have you tried bulgar? I use it like rice but it is only 2 points for a whole cup and cooks in 5 minutes. I like its flavor, too. Quinoa is also very good and 3 points a cup. It has a ton of protein and 11 g. fiber in one cup! Its always a good idea to replace some of the pasta with veggies. You could steam some zucchini or summer squash and mix it with the pasta and sauce to make a pasta primevera. Then you can use less pasta.

Jean, I hope you can get some rest with all that is going on for the next week or two. It's a difficult time. I'm sure your daughter will make a wonderful memorial for her grandma.

I had to go to the dentist this morning. Had my teeth cleaned and he said I need to get the back molar capped now or I'll be losing it and he recommended capping my front tooth since there is little of it left. It did say he'd put another filling in, but it might not last long and then I could have that cap done. I'm just going to get both of them done and be finished with them. I've gone to this dentist since we moved here and he is wonderful and I trust him. He said all the other teeth are in good shape. And he is giving me a 20% discount on the caps and letting me make payments (which he normally doesn't do).

I'm telling your, the health providers (dentist, doctors, and chiropractor) are getting all my money. I'll be having to go to the food bank soon to make it through the month. Or, shudder, sell a quilt! I'm not quite that poor as long as my job holds out.

Maggie, hope you are sticking with your plan!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #3  

Good Evening, Flowers! I've been sorting through paper piles trying to find my list of "who to call" -- I know it is here somewhere! It's been another cold, rainy, gloomy day in my neighborhood. We finished up in MIL's apartment today so the furniture movers can get in tomorrow, and then we can turn the keys in. Each time we go we are stopped by either residents, dietary aides, nurses, etc., and all offering their sympathy as well as saying how much they enjoyed knowing MIL. After doing this I am more motivated than ever to sort and pitch after school is out. I would hate to have our kids have to wade through 25 years of accumulated "stuff" that I've saved.

"Gma" -- Thank you for starting the new thread. I hope your allergies weren't too bad today.

Susan -- I have had lots of dental work done over the years and have always trusted both our previous dentist and the one I go to now. There were times when the kids were home that we made monthly payments although not many were allowed to do that. There was the sign that said payment due upon receipt of treatment with the credit card options listed. I guess because my parents were big on regular dental checkups I just carried on the tradition. I know the cost of insurance has gone up quite a bit. The school announced ours will go up 18.3% July 1st. I'm glad I don't have to pay that amount. I'm going to another BCBS plan through Bob's group which is bigger group than the school group and so the rates are a bit cheaper.

Is anyone else having trouble with this site? I couldn't get in for a long time and now the format seems strange although the finished post looks ok.

I plan on going to school tomorrow and Friday; it will seem like Monday. Then I will take Monday and Tuesday off. I'm not sure how long the relatives will be around, but look for them to leave Monday night or early Tuesday. None of them will be here for which I am thankful.

Have a nice evening and a terrific Thursday tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 04-29-2009 at 08:15 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:58 AM   #4  

Good morning ladies! It keeps looking like it is going to rain, but we aren't getting it. It just stays cloudy then the sun comes out. I don't think we need rain as we have gotten quite a bit the last month, but who knows?

I noticed the maintenance man working next door so I imagine Traci will have renters in there the first of the month. Wonder who it will be this time? No one rents anyplace for long around here that is for sure. It is like a revolving door.

I have never had trouble with direct tv until 3 days ago and I went three rounds with them yesterday and then emailed them this morning. We bought a late year MLB extra innings baseball package at a reduced price last year so we could watch Cubs games. It cost me around $100 and a total year is between $200-250. We discovered by upping my regular package to premier we could get almost all the games on either the fox sport net channels or the comcast sport net channels that they give you with premier. So when they automatically charged me for this year, I called them and had them cancel it and he asked why. I told him why and he was very nice and canceled it immediately. Well, about 3 days ago, we stopped being able to pick up any baseball games of any teams on any of the sports networks like we did last year and had this year up until the three days ago. The message was "you have not purchased this channel." Uh, yes we had. Well, the first gal couldn't help me and sent me to technical. After working with him for half an hour he pipes up with this nonsense about in market/ out of market games and how we only were allowed three in market teams, St Louis, Atlanta, and Cincinnati. I told him those were the three teams that when we played them at their ballparks were blacked out!!! He said it is the perogative of each team to decide about giving rights to watching or whatever. I said, I understood that but why up until 3 days before were we receiving all these games on various channels? He put me on hold and let me sit there for 15 minutes came back and told me he talked to his supervisor who agreed with him. I told him they both were idiots and I was going to downgrade my package and hung up on him. I did just that. Well, for the last week Direct TV has been calling here twice a day and I have ignored it because I knew that they had gotten into trouble calling people on the do not call list and figured they decided to bother customers instead. They hang up when the answering machine picks up. Jack got mad and took the call last night and low and behold a person called and tried to pressure Jack into taking MLB extra innings. I was asleep and didn't know or I would have blown my stack. So I emailed them this morning and told them to note on our account we were never to be solicited for products by phone again. We shall see what happens. We have loved having direct tv and had no problems up until this point. I imagine they are feeling the economic crunch and trying to get more money, but I am not going to put up with being harrassed about something that if I want it, I can go online and purchase it without them bugging me.

Susan: Thanks for all the tips and info. I hate squash of any kind so that isn't something I would do, but if I do have pasta, I will just give myself a small portion and make it up with veggies and protein. It isn't that I am never going to eat carbs it is just that we eat a lot of them as Jack is definitely meat and potatoes and we have some kind of potato or rice or pasta every night so I want to cut back to a couple times a week for me.

Jean: Glad you were able to accomplish the task of getting things cleaned out. We do a clean out every couple years. I noticed I have bags of books that need to go to Good Will or the public library again. I am going to wait until the end of the year and then take the clothing that no longer fits me and get rid of it so I am not tempted to gain back into them.

To chores, to chores! Have a great one!
Faye
Old 04-30-2009, 10:35 AM   #5  

Good morning, ladies! Another cool (56 degrees) rainy day...but it will be back in the 80s for the weekend.

Here's a list I copied from the "Healthy Cooking" email of 50 Snacks Under 100 calories. I am posting it on the pantry door.

Take-Along Treats

1. 3 cups air-popped popcorn
2. 3 (2-1/2-inch squares) graham crackers
3. 3 tablespoons soy nuts
4. 1 piece string cheese
5. 1/3 cup sunflower kernels in the shell
6. 4 chocolate kisses
7. 6 chocolate-covered miniature pretzel twists
8. 1/3 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
9. 1 hard-cooked egg
10. 1/3 cup miniature fish-shaped crackers
11. 1/4 cup dried apricots
12. 1 (22g package) crisp rice cereal bar

Healthy and Hearty
13. 1/2 small baked potato with 3 tablespoons salsa
14. 2/3 cup Cheerios with 1/4 cup fat-free milk
15. 1 miniature bagel with 1 tablespoon reduced-fat chive and onion cream cheese
16. 3 pieces snack rye bread topped with 1 tablespoon reduced-fat garden vegetable cream cheese and 6 cucumber slices
17. 1 slice French toast with 1 tablespoon reduced-calorie syrup
18. 3/4 cup minestrone soup
19. 1 slice cinnamon-raisin toast with 1 teaspoon honey
20. 1/3 cup canned baked beans
21. 1 roasted chicken drumstick, skin removed
22. 1/2 English muffin topped with 1 slice tomato and 1 tablespoon shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, broiled

Curbs Cravings Anytime

23. 1/2 cup sugar-free chocolate pudding (prepared with fat-free milk) topped with a crushed chocolate wafer
24. 1/2 cup chocolate soy milk
25. 3 vanilla wafers and 1/2 cup fat-free milk
26. 1 cup prepared sugar-free flavored gelatin
27. 2 gingersnap cookies with 1 tablespoon reduced-fat strawberry cream cheese
28. 1 frozen fudge pop
29. 3/4 cup skinny latte (made with fat-free milk)
30. 3/4 cup sugar-free hot cocoa prepared with fat-free milk
31. 1 cup green tea with 1 teaspoon honey and 1 biscotti
32. 4 reduced-sodium saltine crackers topped with 1 tablespoon reduced-sugar orange marmalade

Fresh Flavors

33. 2 California roll slices
34. 1 cup reduced-sodium V8 juice
35. 1 medium ear corn on the cob with 1/2 teaspoon butter
36. 1 cup mixed greens with 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese and 2 tablespoons fat-free Italian salad dressing
37. 1 small banana
38. 3/4 cup sliced strawberries with 2 tablespoons reduced-fat frozen whipped topping
39. 1 medium plum
40. 1/2 cup fat-free reduced-calorie fruit yogurt with 1 tablespoon reduced-fat granola
41. 3/4 cup blueberries
42. 1/2 medium pear and 1/2 ounce reduced-fat cheddar cheese
43. 3/4 cup red grapes
44. 1/3 cup 1% cottage cheese with 1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple tidbits
45. 1 small grapefruit with 2 teaspoons sugar

When a Dip Will Do
46. 2 tablespoons hummus with 1/4 of a pita and 1/4 of a small red pepper
47. 1/2 small apple with 2 tablespoons fat-free caramel ice cream topping
48. 2 medium celery ribs with 1 tablespoon reduced-fat cream cheese
49. 1/4 cup miniature fat-free pretzel twists with 2 tablespoons mustard sauce
50. 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce with 1/2 piece whole wheat toast for dipping

Jean, I need to throw out a lot of stuff that will be of no use to anyone after I'm dead. What I really need to do it make a list of who to call, where my funeral arrangements are, etc. and another with info about financial information, insurance, etc. I keep thinking I should do this, but I also keep putting it off.

Faye, Cox is just like Direct TV. They have no competition except for the satellite TV providers so they jerk us around all the time. And the rates keep going up. Of course, the stations I like the most are all on the premium package so I am hostage. Got sucked in when they gave us access free for one week. I imagine the sports, movie and other facilities where you are in a crowd will be hurting until this swine flu is over. I have no plans to get in a crowd if I have a choice. Your plan to get rid of clothes that are too big is good. As long as they hang in the closet, you feel like you'll fail and need them again. I have a pair of size 12 jeans in the closet as inspiration. I got them from my friend so they are worn and shrunk so when I can fit into them, I'll feel like a huge success. I can finally get them all the way on but can't get them zipped all the way.

This weekend is our guild's quilt show. I'll be demonstrating hand quilting on Sunday. This is the first time in 20 years I haven't been on the committee. It'll be nice to be a spectator. There is a lot of work in hanging a quilt show.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #6  
Thin Within

Talking Thursday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a tad bit humid here in the heartland. Got my ceiling fan whirling and the air conditioner going. Not much out of the ordinary going on here in this berg. I am sticking close to program and hoping for a loss come Monday. I made a loaf of ricotta bread yesterday and it sure is good. My little machine makes small loafs so that is a good thing. I don't eat much bread anymore anyway but Will loves it so. I had also made a crock pot stew that was chock full of good veggies.

DONNA FAYE Things are getting wierd now that the econemy is in the tank. Why that they gotta mess with the TV schedule is pretty lame. Will watches games on Fox Sports Midwest, WGN and ESPN and these are all on cable which is $50 a month. I can hear the games and work on my glass because I don't have to watch them. I do watch one on occasion. I am still Dodger Blue through and through. Will is involved on line with a book swap thing. All it costs is the shipping. You post your books and others do the same. You order form someones bookshelf and they pay the shipping and then when someone wants one of yours you pay the shipping. He has gotten some of the neatest books from folks on there. paperbackswap.com is the address. You might want to check it out.

JEAN We all seem to collect "stuff." Since we moved into this house from a motorhome we have slowly accumulated things. When we downsized into the motorhome we sent boxes of treasures to whomever of the folks that wanted them. I have one album of photos that I put together of this and that and got rid of all the other photos. When my grandmother moved into my folks home my father told her she could keep anything she wanted and he would keep it in the garage. Well when anyone came to visit with her she would give them something and pretty soon the garage was my fathers again. He didn't want it to be too much of a shock for her to move from a huge Victorian home into one room. They did give her the corner bedroom that had windows on two walls. No matter how much we are prepared it is still hard to lose a loved one.

SUSAN Yep I am still OP. I like to put veggies in my spaghetti sauce. My sauce is always quite lumpy. When I make it I make a huge pot and it freezes nicely in serving sized bags. It is like my meatloaf ~ never quite turns out like last time but always yummy. For dinner last night I had one of those Lean Q frozen concoctions of Chicken Fettuccini with broccoli. A big sized portion of 8 points which I ate in my bamboo bowl with chopsticks. I eat slower using chopsticks. Besides I just like using them on occasion. It is sure nice that you can make payments to your dentist. I can imagine that more of them are going to let folks do that now that there is a big crunch on. They want the folks to still take care of their teeth. I need to make an appointment to get mine cleaned. We have regular dental insurance and then a piggy back program that covers most everything. The insurance doesn't cost much since I was able to keep the coverage when I retired.

Well Magnolia friends I'll type at y'all later. Have a good day.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 11:26 AM   #7  
DIET IS A 4-LETTER WORD

Hi everyone. I'm stopping in to let y'all know that all is well with me. And...to tell y'all the news. I am going back to work. Full time. I start on Monday. Do I want to go back to work really? Naaaah. BUT...this is the right thing to do at this time. And yes, it's because of the economy. And yes, it's because of Chrysler and all the problems that company has as we don't know how this will impact hubby's pension and health benefits. For now everything is status quo but who knows about the future! So...that's where I stand right now.

On the weight loss front, my weight is maintaining around 210 lbs. w/o much help from me. My eating patterns have changed for the better, thankfully. I still keep a food journal but the biggest change was my night time eating. I don't do that anymore and haven't since my Mom got sick back in December when she was in the hospital. I still have some bad moments missing my Mom and that's probably another reason I should go back to work. My Dad is still grieving badly some days but thankfully, he has returned to his neurologist and is now on new medication for his Parkinson's. Thankfully, this medicine is not make him hallucinate which was his biggest fear.

I am still knitting although not a lot. Knitting socks mainly. I have LOTS of sock yarn. I'm getting more involved with my church. Spending a lot of time with my family.

Anyway...I just wanted y'all to know.
GailR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:36 PM   #8  

Good Evening, Flowers! It's been a nice day in my corner of the world. I went back to school today and am feeling it tonight. There are four of us who have lost a parent or in-law in the last 10 days. I guess the relatives all plan to be in Sioux City by Saturday night. Bob needs to have their signatures on the legal stuff so we will go over on Sunday and spend some time with them. I hope it is a peaceful get together since there are a couple of "know it all" nephews in the bunch. I might even make it to the mall since their motel is close by.

We switched beds around when I got home from school keeping MIL's bed which was new when she went into the first assisted living three summers ago. I'm going to advertise our old one, as "free for the taking," on the school district bulletin board, and hope that someone will come and get it on Saturday. It bothers me to haul "good" stuff to the landfill.

"Gma" -- I hope you get some good neighbors this time! I'm sorry you are having trouble with your Direct TV. I can't believe the "buy one year and get one free" magazine offers and phone calls we are getting now. I get way too many as it is!

Susan -- Thank you for sharing your list of good foods to eat! I am printing it off as I type. My dad had ALL of his stuff organized when he died, so it was really simple for me. He even wrote his own obituary. I shouldn't even say this, but at times I worried about what I would do if something would happen to Bob before his mom died.

Maggie -- I know that I have way too much "stuff," and need to sort and pitch this summer. I do some every summer, but never seem to get the job 100% done. I love fresh bread 'n potatoes 'n pasta 'n everything that seems to have way too many carbs.

Gail -- It's nice of you to check in today. What kind of a job are you doing? Congrats on maintaining!

I need to pick up the clutter from moving beds around. Have a FANTASTIC Friday tomorrow, and then I'm heading to bed!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 04-30-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #9  

Looks like another warm day around here. I have clinic today and lots of errands besides so early start to the day. Fortune is getting a nice bath and haircut today so I will be taking him over to the groomer in an hour or so.

Susan: Thanks for the terrific list. Everyone needs something for emergency hungries! Hope you enjoy the quilt show and do well this year.

Jean: We have a couple cases of swine flu at a couple of private schools here. Have you guys had any cases yet? They are thinking of closing school early for the year to try and head it off. We shall see.

Gail: Good to see you. Hope you have a job you enjoy. I have a lot of knitting to get done and working on it diligently. Besides, I enjoy it.

Maggie: I actually got an answer back from Direct tv and this lady actually gave me information that makes sense. I don't know why the other two bozos didn't know the same thing. According to her, I needed to have my received connected to a phone line so it "knew" what channels in the sports programming were available to me. Since we don't do pay per view, we don't keep a phone line connected to our receivers. We decided to go ahead and get the mlb extra innings and forego the more expensive package as they came about about the same.

I have a lot to get to today before I go to the school so I have to get hoppin.'

Have a great weekend all!
Faye
Old 05-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #10  

Good evening, ladies!

This was a ho-hum day. I went to the chiropractor and putzed around the house. I didn't feel well this morning and went back to bed and slept until 11 after I put the trash out on the curb.

We now have THE FLU in Virginia. I'm really concerned about it since there is no vaccine. There is some possibility this may be like the flu in 1919 that was light in the spring and then came back with a vengence in the fall and killed so many. With my lung problems, even a cold is a huge deal. I've had to be intubated before and don't want to go there again.

Gail, it was so nice to hear from you. Sorry you have to go back to work but you are right that things with Chrysler are really up in the air since they have declared bankruptcy today.

Maggie, the hot weather is on the way! I do hope we don't have too much humidity this summer (fat chance of that happening).

Jean, my dad has his funeral arrangements made and paid for when he died. All I had to do was set the time. I didn't know this until he died and I called the funeral home. We always used the same one. Did you get a taker for the bed?

Faye, I'm glad you got your DirectTV straightened out. I hope you got to see Thomas today. Was the clinic busy?

Well, I have to get up early tomorrow so I can go to Walmart before it becomes mass hysteria there. My black printer cartridge ran out. I think I did okay this week so WI won't but a huge loss but it won't be a gain.

Have a good evening.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #11  

Good Evening, Flowers! We just got home from a nice evening out and supper by the lake with Jason's in-laws. We are beginning to plan for Maui! School was typical Friday. It was a nice day weatherwise, but other than that not much newsy from my corner of the world.

"Gma" -- We may have a case of swine flu in the eastern part of the state. We did get an email at school saying that if there were any confirmed cases in the district, we were to keep quiet and let the superintendent deal with the media. I hope you had a good afternoon at the clinic.

Susan -- I hope you are feeling better tonight. I could have given away 50+ beds if I would have had them available. They haven't picked it up yet, but a middle school teacher asked to have it for a family with 4 children and a dad who have no furniture. There is no mom so I don't know anything about them. I'm hoping it will be gone tomorrow. Good luck at WW tomorrow!

I am heading for bed. Tomorrow is my morning in the gift shop. Have a nice weekend!

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 05-01-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #12  

Good afternoon ladies! Jack had the oil change and tires rotated on the Mariner then we ran out to the commissary and we thought it would be nuts out there because yesterday was Navy payday, ss checks and military retirement checks. Well, there was hardly anyone in there and they have got a lot of their remodeling done and it looks really great. It is nice and open with a lot of aisle room. I spent a whopping $322, but I was out of practically everything as I didn't go shopping last payday because we were in Indiana. I am now well stocked with lots of veggies.

Susan: Since you the queen of veggie cooking have you ever made sweet potato french fries and how do you do it? I didn't know if you could just peel them and slice them up and drizzle with oil or oil spray and cook in the oven or not like you do regular potatoes. I bought a couple sweet potatos and want to make fries out of at least one of them if I can. i got a couple turnips, bought frozen spinach since I haven't cooked it before, and several other things, beets and sauerkraut. I did a menu and replaced mashed potatoes in meals with either a veggie and salad or veggie and fruit or two veggies. I did get a few sweet things like some skinny cow ice cream sandwiches and some little ff puddings but that is just for a treat now and then.

Jean: We have started planning our cruise for next year. We hope to go around my birthday next Sept. I want to be almost at goal by then so that I can walk with ease. St Thomas is hilly so I need to be fit to trek around the island.

I didn't work yesterday as I got to "feelin' poorly" around 10 o'clock. I felt icky all day and am still not 100%. Nothing serious, just feeling a bit icky and it is pouring rain here so my joints hurt some too.

You all have a nice rest of the day. We are going to do a combo lunch/dinner in a little while and finish up a few things I couldn't find at the commissary.

Faye
Old 05-02-2009, 04:18 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It's a bright sunny day, but on the cool side. Bob is spit shining my car for Monday so I hope it doesn't rain. I worked in the gift shop this morning; it was a waste of my time for sure. Just as I was ready to shut down two Mexicans (hospital employees) came in and bought a balloon. I'm glad they weren't "window" shopping because I was more than ready to leave.

I am about ready to chew nails! First of all, over the years whenever we have tried to plan anything with Bob's family someone always throws a curve in the plans. His mom, bless her heart, would just make excuses and move on. Well, Bob has talked to each sibling and was told that they would all be in Sioux City today/tonight and stay at the same motel. He wants them all together to sign some papers and go over the legal mumbo jumbo before the funeral on Monday. Beth just called and had talked to one of the cousins from AZ. The brother and sister, plus 4 cousins will arrive "sometime" tomorrow instead of tonight! The MT brother will be there tonight. Depending on the timing there's no point in us driving over if they aren't all going to be there. The ex-sister-in-law, who thinks she is still a Bennett, is in Sioux City now and I'm sure will be right in the middle of the family gathering on Monday. It could be interesting! This too shall pass, I hope.

"Gma" -- You will have to share your cleaning schedule with me! I did a once over lightly Thursday night when I knew that we would have company, however briefly, Friday night. I hate doing "chores" on the weekend, even though that's been the pattern for years. I hope you are feeling better today!

The dryer is buzzing so have towels to fold and start on the next load. Have a nice "rest" of the day and a relaxing Sunday tomorrow.

Jean -- from Iowa!

Last edited by Jean; 05-03-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:28 PM   #14  
Thin Within

Talking Saturday In The Evening

HOWDY MAGNOLIAS

Here I sit with color on my hair and waiting for timer to go off so I can get in the shower. Listening to music on my computer and a ball game in the front room on TV. I finished up two houses this week to give to a couple of the ladies at church tomorrow. Did I mention that I am making one for each of the gals? I so far have given 9 since we have been here. About one a month. since we have been here. I put all the ladies names in a bowl and drew them out and made my list that way. If the person doesn't show up when I have it to deliver when I take it to church with me on it goes to the next on the list. Eventually the missed lady gets hers. No one knows where their name is on the list anyway so it really doesn't matter. I am also drinking a meal replacement smoothie as I type. YUMMY it is.

JEAN Sounds like you have a person to give that bed to who really needs it. Isn't it that way with relatives ~ hard to get them all together in one place. It will all work out though.

DONNA FAYE I can imagine you got more groceries for that amount at the cmmisary than you could at the local market. Have you noticed prices going up locally there? They are inching up here.

SUSAN The quilting queen ~ how did the show go? I sent you an email about smoothies ~ let me know if you want the pages sent your way along with the cover and index so you can build a little booklet of them.

GAIL Girlfriend are you going back to work at the university? That is my "educated" guess anyway for I know you did well there and have a bunch of friends there that you worked with for years. I saw the news about the car places and did think of Wayne. In fact I do think of y'all a lot as well think a lot of y'all. Makes sence to me since I said it and that is my two cents worth.

Type at y'all later. Have a good rest of the weekend.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #15  

Good afternoon, ladies. A lovely day today.

Made the Walmart run this morning to get my printer cartridge. They had frozen cooked shrimp (really big ones) for $5 a pound so got a bag. I love shrimp but hate to cook them. Kmart had strawberries for $1.48 today so got 2 boxes.

WW WI was as I thought - stayed the same.

Faye, I cut the sweet potato like french fries, spray them with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake them at 450 degrees for 20-25 minutes, turn them after 10 minutes. I sometimes buy Alexis Sweet Potato Fries. They are in the organic food section and very good. Turnips are good roasted, too, or raw or cooked. Sometimes I put them in veggie soup. Do you remember sauerkraut salad that we used to make back in the 60s or 70s? I think I'm going to look for that recipe. I used to like it.

Jean, it sounds like your bed is going to a good home.

Well, there is a thunder storm starting so I better get the computer shut down.

Have a good night!