Old 04-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #1  

Default Zucchini Pancakes

These are totally delicious, and you can swap the zucchini for any sort of shred-able vegetables (I love a blend of sweet potato, zucchini and beet, but we can't do that now can we?). Nice as an entree topped with yogurt with salad on the side, too.

This serves 6-8 as a side dish or 4 as a light main course. Oh, and? My 4 year old loves them.

1 lb zucchini
1 minced garlic clove
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 egg
1/2 c garbanzo flour (Bob's Red Mill makes this--you can find it at health food stores)
EVOO or cooking spray

Shred the zucchini with a box grater or food processor, then wrap in several layers of paper towels or in a kitchen towel and squeeze gently until the zucchini is dry.

Place zucchini in a bowl and add the garlic, salt, pepper and egg, and mix well. (Some fresh herbs are nice here, too. I like basil or parsley, if you have some on hand). Stir in the garbanzo flour.

Spray or oil a nonstick skilled over medium high heat. Add about 1/4 cup of batter to the pan. It will be thick, so you may need to spoon it out and spread it. Quickly repeat til the pan is full but not crowded. Saute til nicely browned and gently turn, cooking the second side for 3-4 minutes.

Last edited by Budino918; 04-30-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Budino918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #2  
New "CHICK" in town....

S/C/G: Current 203/Goal 150

Height: 5'3 1/2

Mmmmmmmmm sounds yummy! Can you use wheat flour instead?? I would hate to have to buy yet ANOTHER kind of flour! I'll try it one of these days!
MrsPiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #3  

Sure, mrsPiggy. The original recipe called for AP flour. I use the chickpea flour to add protein (bought it on a whim one day) and really liked the flavor it gave. It also makes it Phase 1 friendly.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #4  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Wheat flour is NOT a Phase I food. We add it in Phase II but it must be WHOLE wheat flour. Check out the Phase I and II Food Lists in the FAQ section.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:20 AM   #5  
New "CHICK" in town....

S/C/G: Current 203/Goal 150

Height: 5'3 1/2

Awesome, I am excited to try this! I am in LOVE with Zucchini and can use some new recipes!!
MrsPiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:21 AM   #6  

Should this be moved to the Phase II recipes, then?

I had asked in another thread about chickpea flour, since it's just ground dried chickpeas. Some think it's fine, since it's ground legumes. Others think since it's flour, that it isn't.

Chickpea flour isn't on either of the stickies on this forum, but I just did a google search and in the South Beach Cookbook, chickpea (and also buckwheat) flour is mentioned as being ok for Phase II and onward. No flour at all in Phase I.

Last edited by Budino918; 04-30-2009 at 10:29 AM.