Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/lost 140+ lbs/125

Default feeling stuck... only lost 1 lb in 3 weeks

Hi--

I'm feeling stuck.

I got on the scale today & only lost 1 lb in 3 weeks. I was sick for over a week and did only an hr of cardio during my 6 day exercise routine, and left out weight resistance training for a week as a result.

I also finished my TOM over a week ago & don't consume food with high sodium content. I also drink at least 8 glasses of water/herbal tea a day.

I got back iinto weight training & did it on wed & friday of last week again.

The only thing I have done for the past month was increase my caloric intake to 1,500 calories since I wasn't losing weight for awhile beforehand (I'm a calorie counter & eat lots of veggies/poultry/fish and fruit, etc).

Should I be worried or accept this as part of weight training and know it'll come down soon.... or what should I do? Eat less again? I do admit I like the extra energy from eating 1,500 calories instead of 1,200-1,300 calories a day.

Suggestions/advice?

Thanks!

~ tea
teawithsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:09 PM   #2  
Amazing will be me

hey i think maybe because you came down sick , thats why you at a little bit of a standstill. Its happend to me this week to. your body just needs to recover. I think what your doing is fine and results will come soon . remember if your weight training , muscle weighs more than fat so your probs very well burning fat off but not noticing on the scales as your gaining in muscle. Maybe get a body fat percentage scale and youl know eactly how much fat your losing.
Hope this helps good luck
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #3  
BELIEVE!

Tea - Look at how much you've lost and how successful you have been! You are doing amazing! As long as you are doing the right things - eating right, moving you body - then keep on keeping on. After losing as much as you've lost you won't have huge drops every week. Hold your head high and push through the frustrating moments.

I've been stuck for the last few weeks myself...I get it.
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #4  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I think that since you increased your calories to 1500/day to compensate for your workouts, but then didn't keep up with your regular exercise level during your illness, (but kept the higher exercise calorie level) that is what probably slowed down your loss. If I reduce my activity level, I reduce my calorie level. If you reduce your exercise and up your calories, you will lose weight more slowly...usually.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 04-27-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:46 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You were sick. You backed off on some exercise. I don't think there's anything you could have done about that. These things ARE going to happen.

My experience is the same of LoriBell's. I increase my calories and decrease my exercise - I gain weight. Each and every time. Every and each. Never fails. More reliable then the postal service.

With you at least, you didn't gain. You still lost!

If your prefer eating the 1500 calories a day, I think you should. You can either increase your exercise to help counteract it, or take that 1 lb every 3 weeks. Not a bad deal. It's up for you to decide. And now that you're feeling better, it shouldn't be an issue to up your exercise.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #6  
Junior chick

S/C/G: 228/187/140

Height: 5'6

Losing 1 lb is still pretty darn good, considering what you were up against. Just hop back into the gym and resume business as usual. Hope you're feeling lots better now...being sick is just no fun.
Peep Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:05 PM   #7  

Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is still a pound. Muscle takes up less volume than fat.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:21 PM   #8  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterInVA View Post
Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is still a pound. Muscle takes up less volume than fat.
When people say this, they probably mean that for a given volume, muscle will weigh more than fat.
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:22 PM   #9  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

First off, perspective. Your weight loss DOES slow down as you get closer to goal. And your weight loss has NOT stopped...it has slowed. So you're still moving in the right direction.

Second, it can be expected that when your routine changes (less exercise, illness, etc), things will "blip" a bit. Our bodies aren't machines...they are highly influenced by so many factors. So give this some time to even out, while you get back on your standard plan. I'd bet you're moving in the right direction in no time.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 188/185/164

Height: 5'8"

So, basically, over a three-week span, you lost a pound in one week, you were sick in one week, and you had TOM in one week? I'd say you're doing just fine with your weight loss! Keep it up!
Jacqui_D is offline   Reply With Quote